Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anyone else notice that some of the lug nuts that come with the stock wheels are a bit "chewed" like someone tried to overtighten them? this pissed me off because i noticed that the wrench they used left a small spot of rust on the corner of one of the lug nuts. so, to make a long story short, i ended up putting a few small scratches on the inside of the lug nut well while i was cleaning the rust off the lug nut :banghead: .

a follow up question to this is, does anyone know what the best way is to remove scratches like this from wheels? i know there is another section where this might be more appropriate, but since i am already here, i thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Vancouver
9,175 Posts
um...........get new lugs??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes, that's very helpful...thanks.

however, i don't see how that will help remove scratches from the wheels themselves. i've already arranged to have the lugs replaced. my questions were: a) whether anyone else noticed this/had this happen; and b) because i scratched the recessed part of the wheel in which the lugs reside, if anyone has suggestions about how best to fix scratches on alloy wheels.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Vancouver
9,175 Posts
I fink it happened becuase they used machines to put on the lugs...and it went on too tight. Cause..... when I saw 228's ride put back her stock wheels..... same thing happened to her wheels, the lug part of the wheels are scartched. But....does it really matter?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if the lug nuts rust because of the damage to the protective coating/plating they have, then i would say that it matters. i guess i'm assuming that the lug nuts will rust...please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong...

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Yes, lug nuts should always be hand torque instead of machine-rattle gun torque to lock. Hand torque will not damage wheels, hubs and lugs while machine-rattle gun torque does damage. Many people won't bother but well accredited tyre/wheel shops will never machine-rattle gun torque although it requires more time to fitment and removal.

·
Registered
954 Posts
tzb said:
if the lug nuts rust because of the damage to the protective coating/plating they have, then i would say that it matters. i guess i'm assuming that the lug nuts will rust...please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong...
You're probably right about them rusting, but since you said that you were going to replace them, it probably is a motto point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts