Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
TSX Bronco
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd wait until I had some pics to contribute for my first post here. Here's some pics of the M3 style lip spoiler I got off ebay.

Attachments

·
TSX Bronco
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Second pic

Attachments

·
TSX Bronco
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Third pic

Attachments

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Looks good - I still have to have mine painted. How much did it cost you, and what kind of place did you take it to?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Y'know, I never exactly realized what "lip spoiler" meant before. :tard:

BTW I know that spoilers have a functional purpose (or at least originally had one), even though a lot of people or most people put them on mainly for the look. Also I know a lot of people say that the spoilers actually have very little if any functional effect.....
Anyway, is this lip spoiler supposed to have any functional effect, or is it just for the look???

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Cool! I like the look of that.

Lip spoilers are indeed for looks only.

Kinda like putting lip stick on the lips. (Actually, no I wouldn't know anything about that. Honest)

·
TSX Bronco
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jcg878,

I got it painted and installed at a body shop for $100CDN, which is a lot lower than I thought it would be. The guy installing it even got me to come and tell him exactly how I wanted it installed cause at first he showed me that it would just be straight across the trunk since the original application it's for (M3) has a pretty straight trunk.

I definitely wanted it to angle towards the bend of the TSX trunk so that's what he did. So if you're getting it installed, make sure you tell them you want it bent towards the trunk or they might put it on straight.

larchmont,

Yeah, it's for looks only :) It's subtle and it makes the car my TSX look unique. I think i'm the only one in the Toronto area with a lip spoiler. I hope it stays that way, but I doubt it.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Whatchamacallit said:
.....Lip spoilers are indeed for looks only.

Kinda like putting lip stick on the lips. (Actually, no I wouldn't know anything about that. Honest)
You're stepping into deep mascara there. Let's hope no chicks are on here. :D

Actually.....I think lipstick has a functional purpose too, or at least they say it does.
Or maybe it's just like how your friend's nose job was really for a "deviated septum." :D

I'm constantly putting on Chap Stick. I think if you (I mean "they") use lipstick, you don't need anything like that.

So......are we saying that lipstick really does more than a spoiler?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Sturm said:
.......I think i'm the only one in the Toronto area with a lip spoiler. I hope it stays that way, but I doubt it.
Right. Especially when they find out it's good for chapped lips.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I was quoted ~$100 USD by a body shop, which was more than I expected. These days that might be pretty close to $100 CDN so maybe that's not such a bad deal (actually, I'd estimate that would be ~$130 CDN or so, I don't think we've fallen quite that much).

Anyway, it looks GREAT and I really think the TSX looks good in white. I'll post pics of my black one when I finally put it on. I've noticed that the curve isn't quite right, but hopefully it will bend ok without cracking the paint.

Did you buy yours from 'autobacs1'?

edit: and it's clearcoated, right?

·
Registered
332 Posts
A lip spoiler is supposed to create a bit of turbulence to allow airflow to separate cleanly from the back of the car. (that's origin of the term "spoiler"). Generally useless, except for keeping the back of your car a bit cleaner. Sometimes necessary, e.g. Audi TT:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=3523

"More obviously, all TTs get a small rear spoiler mounted to the decklid in a move aimed at reducing lift on the rear axle at high speeds. The TT has 148 pounds of lift at the rear axle at 125 mph without the spoiler, but only a 53-pound lift when the spoiler is fitted."

Of course that's only a problem at extra-legal speeds in NA.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
OK, got it. But I wonder why they would've used a negative word for that.
That's why I couldn't register it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
nice work ... here is my silver one

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
ok, my interest is piqued. ive seen the pictures, read the commentary, and now i think i want one. but one question, is there anything out there better at reducing lift than the obviously light wieght lip that's more practical. those huge carbon fiber spoilers look heavy duty but are they really working? plus, drilling into your truck or sticking some heavy duty-tape on your paint never seems too appetizing if later down the line u might want to change your car's appearence

so the real question is, what's the best spoiler to get that wont 'spoil' your car's look or performance at the strip?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Amoretto said:
ok, my interest is piqued. ive seen the pictures, read the commentary, and now i think i want one. but one question, is there anything out there better at reducing lift than the obviously light wieght lip that's more practical. those huge carbon fiber spoilers look heavy duty but are they really working? plus, drilling into your truck or sticking some heavy duty-tape on your paint never seems too appetizing if later down the line u might want to change your car's appearence

so the real question is, what's the best spoiler to get that wont 'spoil' your car's look or performance at the strip?
If you are referring to a drag strip, none of the above. All these devices increase downforce but also drag. Downforce pushes the car down to increase traction which is mostly needed during cornering. It does also increase traction in a straight line, but I doubt the TSX (because of its low torque) is anywhere close to traction-limited in a straight line. Therefore, all of these devices will increase drag and slow the car down in a drag race.

On a track, it's a different story. However, unless you have a wind tunnel or are willing to do hours of laps on an instrumented test car, there's no conclusive way to know if one device (or setting) is better than another. If any touring car teams are running the JDM Accord, you might be able to get some hints by what they are using.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts