Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally picked up the wife's '05 6MT and had a look at the owners' manual...

use only 'genuine honda manual transmission fluid'. 10w30 motor oil ok as short-term replacement. also, use only 'genuine honda power steering fluid', never ATF.

really? sounds like 'sell some high-price branded accessories' to me.

there's thousands of miles before i'll really need to know the answer to this, but what's unique about these branded fluids? as a devoted synth user, i'm inclined to be a bit skeptical about these 'requirements'. my mitsu dealer tried to tell me i'd void the warranty on my montero auto by putting non-mitsu fluid in it. when pressed to put that in writing, they backed down.

anyone?

dookie

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
880 Posts
On the ATF front.. many have tried Mobil 1 Sync ATF and they said the tranny became jerky.. thats on the auto side, not Manual. The honda PS fluid is like 2.39.. and you almost never need it.. everything else I'm clueless...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Dont know about Tranny Fluid, but Ive been using STP brake/ Power Steering, Mobil 1 Motor Oil, and another company for Antifreeze, no problems (attcually my brakes are a little off lately, but now that im at 17,000 Miles, and I do drive hard, im sure im in need to change at least the pads...

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
It's about Honda warranty, that's all ... Some Honda genuine fluids are good and very acceptable for the majority of uses but others are not the best choice. As far as pricing is concerned, it is fair and acceptable. Definitely not highly priced.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's really just a ploy for you to purchase their products. When it comes down to it, the majority of Honda fluids are bottled by other companies... Honda just puts their name on it. Just stick with major brands such as Castrol, Mobil 1, Prestone, Etc. and you'll be fine.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
MemphisRheins said:
Dont know about Tranny Fluid, but Ive been using STP brake/ Power Steering, Mobil 1 Motor Oil, and another company for Antifreeze, no problems (attcually my brakes are a little off lately, but now that im at 17,000 Miles, and I do drive hard, im sure im in need to change at least the pads...
I have double that mileage and still haven't changed the brakes....they still work great.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
I also Auto X the car, and Im 18 lol...so my brakes prob have a little more wear then yours do, mine still work fine, but there starting to feel a little worn down, petals feeling a little loose too, but I just filled up on brake fluid recently, Ill buy some good pads anyway, no harm in that, Ill see for myself once I have the wheels off If I attcually need new pads

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK then...don't fear standard fluids.

But what exactly is the Honda Manual Transmission Fluid? My old Integra took 10w-30 engine oil in the manual, both my Montero and my Miata call for 75w-90 gear oil, and my Dad's Focus calls for ATF (yes, ATF in the manual).

So what exactly does the TSX get?

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
welcome dookie :wavey:
congrats on the new car

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
dookie said:
OK then...don't fear standard fluids.

But what exactly is the Honda Manual Transmission Fluid? My old Integra took 10w-30 engine oil in the manual, both my Montero and my Miata call for 75w-90 gear oil, and my Dad's Focus calls for ATF (yes, ATF in the manual).

So what exactly does the TSX get?

woa you can actually put motor oil in tranny ?? :eek: didn't know that.

I'd just stick with the recommendations. Especially with tranny i mean Honda tranny are not all that great as the engine is. :nervous:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Motor oil (although usually thicker) in a manual transmission is a very common thing . I would like to know what is so special about Honda's MTF.

As for power steering fluid, I recently used ATF in my wife's Camry (as recommended by the manual). Once again don't see why it should be any different with Honda/Acura.

·
Registered
180 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
I'd just stick with the recommendations. Especially with tranny i mean Honda tranny are not all that great as the engine is. :nervous:
Agree that sticking with recommendations is best.

But, note that Honda *manual* transmissions are some of the best in the industry. They shift extremely well and are VERY durable. Back in the day, many of those drag racers running 10-12 sec 1/4 mile times were running bone stock transmissions w/ just a clutch and flywheel upgrade. The manual trannies in those Civics and Integras were easily able to hold 400+ hp w/o blowing up.

Honda automatic transmissions on the other hand have a very well deserved reputation for blowing up - over and over and over again.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
yup right I meant AT is rather not up to par with MT reliability.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts