Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've come to the conclusion that my car doesn't drive as good as it's suppose to when it comes to handling (drove my friends 04 TSX maintained by dealer...) so I've decided to do some maintenance.

First off, my cars somewhat loud at high way speeds. It could be my cheap tires but from what I've been told by my mechanic, he thinks it's the wheel bearing. It also shakes when I drive at fast speeds so maybe it's my alignment and unbalanced tires (sounds right). Non the less I need new bearings. My question is, is there a difference between aftermarket lets say eBay ones vs OEM? I'm trying to cut costs and eBay seems the cheaper way to go.

Also when I stop from high way speeds or slow down, the car shakes. My guess is my rotors are warped/need a brake job. So again, I'm trying to decide what brand. I was told EBC rotors and Hawks pads. Is that a good idea? Also, is there an upgraded larger rotor for the rear? I have EBC rotors in the rear right now but when I look at it from the side. The front my cars brakes are extremely larger then my rear ones. I know that's how it's suppose to be but it seems like there's a HUGE difference.

Planning to also put in a rear sway bar, was told I would probably need new end links since they're probably seized.

Car is all stock except lowered on Tein SS suspension, Hondata reflash and CompTech Icebox intake. Anything else I should be doing my maintenance on? I picked up the car a little over a month ago and it's at 150,000km (93,000miles) now. Want to get all my maintenance done before next summer so I can invest in my real mods. Oh. I also winter drive this... was told to grease the coils for the winter. What kind of grease recommendations?

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Hey fellow Ottawa-area member! :)

I wouldn't go replacing the wheel bearings just yet. Typically, a bad bearing will make itself known when you are turning in the opposite direction (hard left turn = bad right-side bearing, for example). They sound like a humming or a grind. A good way to check is to jack up the suspected corner and see if you can tilt/shift the wheel. If you feel ANY play (and your lug nuts are tight), that bearing is bad. Try pulling outwards, pushing inwards, and having one hand at 12o'clock and one hand at 6o'clock and try rocking the wheel. Again, any play here is not normal and is very likely a wheel bearing.

A new RSB (Comptech or Progress) makes a big difference on this car. I have had the Comptech bar on for years with no problems. Yes, order new endlinks before attempting this, as you will likely have to cut the old ones off due to corrosion from the eleven billion* tons of salt Ottawa road crews use each winter. *number may be slightly exagerated... or not!

Cheap tires can definitely make noise. I had a bad alignment and chewed through a set of Yokohama Avid ENVigor's within 4 months. They went from being really quiet, to extremely noisy in that timeframe. I thought it was wheel bearings as well but it turns out the alignment being bad caused feathering and cupping on the inside edges of the front and rear tires, causing a ton of noise. If you haven't had the car aligned in the past 2 years, go see Frisby Tire on Hazeldean Road, or, the new Canadian Tire on Carling near the 417. Both great places for an alignment.

Your shake while braking is common on OEM pads/rotors. I'd recommend buying from ebay member "Brakemotive" and getting their 4 corner set of pads + rotors. I LOVE this set and am on my 2nd set of pads... extremely good value and the quality is top notch. Shipping to Canada can be expensive, so the other option is shipping to Ogdensburg, NY, and picking up at the UPS store there ($5 fee for package, $2.75 each way for bridge toll. Fill up with gas in the USA and save about $0.30/liter for premium!)

If you need anything, I'm local to you and can probably help out.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
While you have everything off, might as well do some bushings. I hear doing the front LCA bushings is a good idea. Possibly motor mounts as well because they tend to crap out early.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts