Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows how to reset the Maintenance Required indicator.

I took my car in for service two weeks ago, and they forgot to reset it, but they won't tell me how to do it over the phone and I don't want to have to drive all the way up there for them just to reset it.

So anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Joe

'04 TSX SSM/Black 6SP/Navi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone else find out how to reset the Main Req'd Light? Mine is on for the 10k service, but I just changed my oil and rotated my tires.

Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
re-setting maintenance reminder light

HELLO

you have probably figured it out already,but in case not,the information is in the OWNER'S manual.

it only takes a few seconds,and you DO NOT have to take it to the dealer.

that light will always come on at certain mileage(s) ,regardless of how often or not maintenance is performed on the car ( i.e you can change your oil monday,and the light may come on tuesday)

if you have't figured it out yet,contact me and i'll walk you through the steps.

cheers

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
need3d said:
.....they forgot to reset it, but they won't tell me how to do it over the phone.....
:donno: Do they suck or what? :donno:

IMO at the least, if they had concerns about you doing something wrong or whatever if you tried it, they should have said that, then still told you how to do it.

Or if they felt they couldn't do that because they'd be giving away some trade secret, in view of their having f***ed up in the first place and forgotten to do it, they should have offered to make a personal house call to you to take care of it.

Either one or the other.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Get in car, close driver side door.
Put foot on the brake, and hold the "select reset" button (located below the tach, to the left). Turn the ignition to on (but don't start the car). Maintenance light will flash, and then go away. Turn key back to off, and then back on (starting the car). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
634 Posts
You da man. I hate those freakin' things. I was looking forward to having to disconnect the battery to reset the PCM every 10,000 miles, then having to recode the stupid radio. This will be much easier!

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Joker said:
Get in car, close driver side door.
Put foot on the brake, and hold the "select reset" button (located below the tach, to the left). Turn the ignition to on (but don't start the car). Maintenance light will flash, and then go away. Turn key back to off, and then back on (starting the car). :thumbsup:
thanks Joker. so the whole time keep "select reset" pressed down ?

I just hit 8K and the thing comes on.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
thanks Joker. so the whole time keep "select reset" pressed down ?
Yep, do so before you turn the key, and hold until the maintenance light goes off. Then turn the key back to off, and now take your finger off the select reset button, and you should be good to go :thumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
How can you tell if the light is on for some schedule maintenance or if it's some real problem with your car? I just noticed that today when I started my car, all the lights were on (battery, oil, etc) just as normal, but this time the maintenance required light kept flashing and continued flashing even after all the other lights when away. Finally it stopped.

At the same time, I noticed I just passed 8000 miles. Now at 8003. Is that what's causing it? I had my 5000 mile oil change. I was waiting til 10,000 for the next service.

·
Overworked Microsoft Peon
13,780 Posts
At 2,000 miles until a major maintenance, the indicator light starts flashing for about 10 seconds after the car starts.

When you hit a major maintenance, it will stay on until you reset it.

Normally, the light should turn off after 2 seconds.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
l7h8626 said:
im reaching 20k miles, should i take it to the dealer and do the maintenance or just reset the light?
is it necessary?
i brought it to the dealer for the 10K miles maintenance last time.
When was the last time you changed your oil?

·
Registered
954 Posts
sygyzy said:
How can you tell if the light is on for some schedule maintenance or if it's some real problem with your car? I just noticed that today when I started my car, all the lights were on (battery, oil, etc) just as normal, but this time the maintenance required light kept flashing and continued flashing even after all the other lights when away. Finally it stopped.

At the same time, I noticed I just passed 8000 miles. Now at 8003. Is that what's causing it? I had my 5000 mile oil change. I was waiting til 10,000 for the next service.
The maintenance light will only come on if you've hit an interval where maintenance is scheduled. It does not mean that there is anything wrong with your car. There's a separate light for that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Guys, that's affectionately known as an "idiot light". Basically, it caters to those that don't really care about their car, and its meant to remind them to do so. When it does come on, just check your manual and see if you need any services based on mileage/age. If you do need maintenance, take it in or do it yourself. If not, just reset it.

Bassem

·
Registered
8 Posts
sorry guys but i tried what you guys posted and what it said in the manual, to no avail so i will take the trip to the dealer

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.