Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a manual override in the TSX? Lets say I took the 5 speed AT Transmission, could I like still change gears manually?

·
Registered
116 Posts
you could, but theres no clutch... its watered down manual i guess - sequential sport shift they call it. you just push the shifter to the left and then to upshift you push up, and then to downshift you push down...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Changing the downshift restrictor points ...

I'm from Sydney, Australia and my wife has a 5 speed auto/tiptronic Accord Euro.

What I'm wondering is if you know of anybody who has been able to change the downshift restrictor points in the gearbox ECU??

The reason is that you can only downshift manually to first from second when <2,500rpm whereas you can shift down to any of the higher gears from <4,000rpm. Some really tight corners are too tight for second gear and you have to slow down too much to get it into first!!

Apart from the obvious guess that it is done to protect the engine/gearbox, does anybody actually KNOW why it is so low to get back into first?

thanks
Rod

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
jolt said:
I'm from Sydney, Australia and my wife has a 5 speed auto/tiptronic Accord Euro.

What I'm wondering is if you know of anybody who has been able to change the downshift restrictor points in the gearbox ECU??

The reason is that you can only downshift manually to first from second when <2,500rpm whereas you can shift down to any of the higher gears from <4,000rpm. Some really tight corners are too tight for second gear and you have to slow down too much to get it into first!!

Apart from the obvious guess that it is done to protect the engine/gearbox, does anybody actually KNOW why it is so low to get back into first?

thanks
Rod
Hey Rod,

First welcome to the forum,

I think you may have answered your own question. Apart from the protection aspect, my other feeling is possibly emmissions. Don't know how tightly controlled cars in Oz are, but in the N. America, emissions are big deal.

Several car makers, GM especially have gone so far as to install devices in their manually equipt vehicles to prevent owners from normal upshifting. Some sort of mechanism that blocks shifting into 2, 3 or even 4th under certain driving conditions.

Since Honda has been having some problems with their auto trannies as of late, may not be the best idea attempting a reprogram unless you want to deal with a voided warranty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
TSX vs Accord Euro

Looks like the gearboxes may actually be different, well at least the shift mechanism is ...

TSX USDM:

Accord Euro OzDM:

Not sure about gear ratios ...

thanks
Rod

·
Registered
332 Posts
Jolt, where is the manual gate on the Accord? From the pictures I've seen, the gate looks like straight back and forth, with a traditional lockout button on the knob.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.