Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just did a swap with a accord tranny and tried to turn on the car for diagnostics. car reads missinng AT sensors codes (duh). i tried to crank the car but the starter didnt do anything. I checked fuel and most definitely got fuel(on my face no less). bettery is brand new and had good charge so i know i had power to crank it. my guess is electrical, what can i try to get my car to start

·
Registered
256 Posts
Assuming you hear no clunk or whirring noise, it sounds like just a wire somewhere. I don't think these cars have the computer involved in between the start signal from the key to the solenoid.

Check the ground straps, there's three IIRC. Check the starter motor main power lead, if you can reach it. Make sure it has 12V. Starter is grounded by being bolted to the motor, so the motor needs it's ground straps to start.

If you can reach it, you can try to apply 12V to the solenoid start terminal (with key off). That should crank the engine over. Make sure it's in neutral, and parking brake on obviously!

If it cranks, the problem is signal to the starter solenoid from the car. Check wire harnesses, etc. You can also check for 12v on the solenoid lead while the key is turned to start, to see if the car is sending start signal to the solenoid.

·
-
1,764 Posts
So you swapped an Accord manual trans into your auto trans TSX? What year TSX?

What did you do with the auto transmission wiring harness?
Did you install a manual trans wiring harness or modify the existing auto trans wiring harness?
What did you do to bypass the neutral start safety switch in the auto trans?
That switch is either in the auto trans or integrated in the auto trans shifter.

You will likely have to swap in a manual trans ECU or flash your auto trans ECU with a manual trans program to get rid of the auto trans DTC's, warning lights and auto trans shifter indicator in the dash cluster.

How did you end up modding the firewall to accept the clutch pedal bracket.

Swapping an auto trans TSX to a manual trans is extremely difficult, unlike other platforms.
A search on this forum will bring up all the issues for this swap.

If you successfully complete it, even with an Accord 5 speed manual trans, you will be one of the few!

Reactions: bluetegjoe

·
Registered
256 Posts
Duh. I bet that's it. Will need to jumper those pins on whatever harness connector would go to the auto trans (or shifter).

Also the manuals have a start interlock on the clutch pedal... the pedal must be pressed to allow starting. So you could hook up the neutral/park interlock wires to that if you wanted the functionality. Kind of nany-ish IMO, but I suspect that clutch pedal switch also prevents cruise control from over-revving the engine if you press the clutch with cruise control on. Not sure about that though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you swapped an Accord manual trans into your auto trans TSX? What year TSX?

What did you do with the auto transmission wiring harness?
Did you install a manual trans wiring harness or modify the existing auto trans wiring harness?
That switch is either in the auto trans or integrated in the auto trans shifter.

You will likely have to swap in a manual trans ECU or flash your auto trans ECU with a manual trans program to get rid of the auto trans DTC's, warning lights and auto trans shifter indicator in the dash cluster.

How did you end up modding the firewall to accept the clutch pedal bracket.

Swapping an auto trans TSX to a manual trans is extremely difficult, unlike other platforms.
A search on this forum will bring up all the issues for this swap.

If you successfully complete it, even with an Accord 5 speed manual trans, you will be one of the few!
I didnt do anything to the harness , AT ecu but people say thats alright and the car would still trun. dunno if thats true. for the fire wall i had to cut my own hole and cut the clutch pedal to the right length and weld it.******* AF. i like the tsx, its underrated good suspension geometry and the engine one of the best honda has ever made to this date. i want to be the first AWD tsx to reach the 600 hp mark. I have a great built head hence why i did this swap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assuming you hear no clunk or whirring noise, it sounds like just a wire somewhere. I don't think these cars have the computer involved in between the start signal from the key to the solenoid.

Check the ground straps, there's three IIRC. Check the starter motor main power lead, if you can reach it. Make sure it has 12V. Starter is grounded by being bolted to the motor, so the motor needs it's ground straps to start.

If you can reach it, you can try to apply 12V to the solenoid start terminal (with key off). That should crank the engine over. Make sure it's in neutral, and parking brake on obviously!

If it cranks, the problem is signal to the starter solenoid from the car. Check wire harnesses, etc. You can also check for 12v on the solenoid lead while the key is turned to start, to see if the car is sending start signal to the solenoid.
will do , didnt think of that. all i thought of is bypassing the system completely by making a my own leads to the battery and a switch. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after some research i found that the neutral safety switch is located on the transmission which i dont have anymore so i have bypass it somehow. I am going a head and try set the switch to park

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am sorry to say this but he tsx accord manual swap is gone. after all the work, the problem is not if the mechanical parts fit together. I bolted the transmission on and did a bench start on the stand and it spun the trans which was good. The problem is in the smaller stuff. the master cyl was a pain due to the fact that acura had the bright idea to put the harness through the hole that was suppose to be for the master. also mount locations are kinda off. after installing it and trying to bypass all the safety stuff. I WAS NOT ABLE TO. not only do you need to bypass that . CEL is going to be there for the AT stuff. idk how other people did manual tsx swaps but i was able to find pin outs for the tsx to see what else was missing, hard to do this from home. I know this is not what you want to hear but sell the tsx AT and get a MT. saves you time and money. I will try more of this kind of stuff when i get another TSX MT, I am currently looking at the AWD stuff(like 2stepnik's build) seems more do able than the MT since I am not as electrically incline as i would like but i am good at the other work, I will be seeing yall with a awd tsx soon. CRV trans with lsd, HERE WE GO!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts