Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
The service light came up for me to flush my tranny fluid as it now has 80,000 miles on it. The transmission is a Six Speed Manual Transmission and I would like to use GM Synchromesh. There is not a lot of material out there to assist me with changing the tranny fluid and need some help. From what I have researched so far I will need a 3/8” drive socket wrench to loosen the fill plug first and then loosen the drain plug and 3qts of fluid. Is there an easy method to filling the fluid in the fill hole? What other steps am I missing. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
:spin:

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Ahh damn I forgot the sizes of the socket to use to remove the bolts since I switched to magnetic bolts.

But what I do to fill it is go to home depot and buy a funnel with a long hose. I route the hose from the top of the engine bay down to the fill hole. Then I just pour MT fluid into the funnel until the transmission case over fills. It's a doable one man job but if you have help it's definitely easier when it comes to filling it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cYn
This should be an interesting adventure. Any further tips, tricks, or direction is appreciated! :)

·
( o)( o)
964 Posts
I would use Honda MTF without a doubt... it's $7/qt... and once you change it, the difference is definately noticeable. GM's and other's isn't specific to Honda's gearboxes... and numerous people have noted using other brands isn't worth it, money and performance wise

·
5,036 Posts
Thanks cYn
This should be an interesting adventure. Any further tips, tricks, or direction is appreciated! :)
Remove the fill bolt first, then the drain bolt. Because if you remove the drain bolt first and something happens to the fill bolt because it doesn't want to come off, your transmission case will be dry. Unlikely to happen but since it CAN happen, take the precaution.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Do NOT use GM Syncromesh.

I used to swear by the stuff until I realized the long time damage it does to honda transmissions.
It may prove to give smoother shifts and whatnot, but the oil is too thin and does not provide adequate lubrication to the bearings and syncro's, and will wear out your transmission faster.

I speak from experience. I used this stuff on an H22a transmission to only get worn bearings and a blown out diff.

OEM Honda MTF all the way. The newer formula is alot better than their older stuff.

·
5,036 Posts
^ One time a mechanic filled my transmission case with Non-Honda MTF. My gears were so notchy. When I found out that I didn't have Honda MTF in my transmission, I changed it myself and low and behold, my transmission was smooth again. That's when I realize I should just stick with Honda MTF and nothing else.

I know it's cliche to say this, but if the Honda engineers used it to do rigorous testing on their cars, then it's safe to stick with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts