Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new TSX with Technology package and a manual transmission. I'm shocked at how difficult the manual tranny is to find! My dealer cannot locate one within his "area." He says that no one wants manual transmissions anymore. That may be true of Acura, but when I go to the Audi and BMW dealers there are still plenty of manuals available.

Although I like driving the automatic TSX, I still feel that this engine is best paired with a 6 speed manual.

Am I crazy, or should I just get the automatic? If I manage to find a manual, will anyone buy it from me in 4-5 years??

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
dont settle for auto if you want manual! i dont have manual..but heard its much more fun than auto :shrug:

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
Acura is trying to focus more on luxury and less on sporty (ie: with an auto, you can relax and enjoy the refinements). For 1G, dealers would only keep 1 or 2 MT on their lot and fill the rest of the space with autos.

If you want a manual, you should hold out for it. If you settle for an auto now, you will always wonder how much more fun your drive would have been. You're right, the engine is better paired with a manual.

You will always be able to sell the car. Given how uncommon they are, you will probably run into a few buyers who have been waiting for a MT themselves.

·
, Administrator, TOTM Coordinator
6,858 Posts
Acura is trying to focus more on luxury and less on sporty (ie: with an auto, you can relax and enjoy the refinements). For 1G, dealers would only keep 1 or 2 MT on their lot and fill the rest of the space with autos.

If you want a manual, you should hold out for it. If you settle for an auto now, you will always wonder how much more fun your drive would have been. You're right, the engine is better paired with a manual.

You will always be able to sell the car. Given how uncommon they are, you will probably run into a few buyers who have been waiting for a MT themselves.
Its true, just take your time and wait till you find the car you truly want. Dont settle for anything less, you will always have that voice in your head "I should have looked a little.. longer"

Took me 4 months to find my 6SPD TSX.. used

·
Registered
62 Posts
I saw a 2nd generation TSX at work one day, parked right next to it. Of course I had to peep in :p Was amazed when I saw a 6-speed shift knob and fell in love. Most deff going to own that car in the future in manual

·
Addicted
322 Posts
they all speak the truth. take it from me, who actually bought an automatic tsx first, and drove it for 5 months before finally choosing to sell it and look for a 6spd. i was in your exact position actually.

trust me, if you want a 6spd, getting an auto is only going to fuel that thirst for the 6spd even more. plus the 6spd is so much fun. just be patient, they are out there.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
i wish i've gotten the manual :(

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
I wish I woulda waited for an automatic.

JOKING! Don't settle!!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Manual is the only way to roll.

Whenever I decide to get out of this one (in a few years), I am going to pursue the TL 6 speed all wheel drive.

·
Scientisting since 2005
1,232 Posts
not sure if this is an option.....because i really didnt know much about it when i bought my car but it cost me $525 to have a car delivered 1600 miles to my front door

its fully covered by the dealership until the keys are in your possession and you sign off on the fully thorough inspection of the entire vehicle when its delivered

i found a 2006 white on black 6MT with navi with 39k in Alabama for a killer price, had to have it and just incorporated it into my spending budget

that or keep doing what your doing.... call every Acura Dealership within a 25-60 mile radius and have them search for you, they'll end up making money on the deal so you might be surprised how much they will look for ya

GL

Audi:smash:

·
Registered
62 Posts
that or keep doing what your doing.... call every Acura Dealership within a 25-60 mile radius and have them search for you, they'll end up making money on the deal so you might be surprised how much they will look for ya
He's 100% right, my brother was trying to find 2010 Audi A3 in a particular model. Went to about 4 or 5 different dealerships, they were all coming up short with offers. Within a week, one of the dealers called back that was a hundred miles away from us, they found a '09 A3 S-Line instead (just sayin they tried looking) fully loaded for a couple of grand cheaper than the base '10 A3.

But yeah he's right, dealerships want your money :gapteeth:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just took delivery of my 2011 6-speed tech on Saturday and it was ordered in the middle of January. Similar story as yours, dealer couldn't find any in the region so it had to be ordered from Japan. I can tell you, the waiting sucked. However, you WILL NOT regret a second of waiting once you're sitting in the cockpit rowing through the six sweet gears. It's worth waiting for. I promise.

·
, Administrator, TOTM Coordinator
6,858 Posts
And when you finally get it, you'll appreciate it a lot more since its going to very rare and pretty much a collectors item (Manual).. in a couple of years.. specially that the TSX is getting very popular and affordable now..

Only 10% of TSX's in the US are Manual..

Something to think about when you need some persuasion to take your time or not.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Took me a while to find a used manual in good condition, so I finally test drove an auto. Didn't like it at all. Finally found what I was looking for about a month later though and I'm really happy I didn't settle for the auto.

I also considered the V6 but they don't even offer a manual trans at all so I nixed that idea pretty quickly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
funny... i guess i got lucky
dealer here had 2 in stock and they gave me 5 grand off just to get rid of it.

they had it shipped on may 2010 and sold it to me on october.

apparantly everyone here wants auto.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unless I was really lucky, they're rather scarce, but not impossible to find. I found two '09s w/the 6 speed in my general area (DC region), one with Tech/Nav, one w/out. I went for the Tech package. Pretty sure non-tech is sitting at the other dealer in Virginia.

Stick is the only way to go. I've never bought a car for myself to drive that wasn't a manual transmission. Sadly, not that many people even know how to drive a stick anymore, so the market for car makers isn't there. I wanted a V6 but they don't even make a V6 with a stick -- closest thing is the Honda Accord Coupe. With gas at $4+ I went for the gas mileage. The car (which I've had now for all of two days) is peppy, but really no comparison to the V6 coupe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts