Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating on whether or not to get MT or Automatic. I live on a college campus where there is construction year round. In addition to the contruction the rush hour traffic is horrible seeing as though I'm 30 minutes from NYC. I have spoken to many people regarding this debate and I've gotten mixed reviews. Some people say that you can't get a TSX in an automatic... it's like sacreligious. Other's say that it's fine. Personally I do not want to pay alot of attention to driving, with shifting and everything. I don't drive my present car as though I'm racing it, so I don't have a need for speed (You know how those young bucks treat their cars... although im 21)...What are your thoughts?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
money9111 said:
I'm debating on whether or not to get MT or Automatic. I live on a college campus where there is construction year round. In addition to the contruction the rush hour traffic is horrible seeing as though I'm 30 minutes from NYC. I have spoken to many people regarding this debate and I've gotten mixed reviews. Some people say that you can't get a TSX in an automatic... it's like sacreligious. Other's say that it's fine. Personally I do not want to pay alot of attention to driving, with shifting and everything. I don't drive my present car as though I'm racing it, so I don't have a need for speed (You know how those young bucks treat their cars... although im 21)...What are your thoughts?
In NY alot of people have automatics but I feel if you are a man and want to enjoy your car get a stick shift you have much more control over the car and trust me you will love the tsx with a 6 speed. Driving automatic is like bieng a robot you sit there and just hold the steering wheel :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too have to join the masses in a bumper-to-bumper commute. Even though I enjoy the 6 speed, I opted for the auto.

When I feel the need for exhilaration, I use the sports-shift, throw caution to the wind and feel that engine roar as it loves to be driven hard!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stick vs manual

see i dont mind sitting there holding the steering wheel...i like not having to pay as much attention to how im driving, as im assuming i would have to do with a stick... if i were to get an automatic then i could use that sport shift option when im not sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, and still get the feel of a manual... of course it's not going to be the same as driving a normal manual but im guessing that you would get the general feel for it.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Re: stick vs manual

money9111 said:
see i dont mind sitting there holding the steering wheel...i like not having to pay as much attention to how im driving, as im assuming i would have to do with a stick... if i were to get an automatic then i could use that sport shift option when im not sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, and still get the feel of a manual... of course it's not going to be the same as driving a normal manual but im guessing that you would get the general feel for it.
Dont get me wrong if i worked in the city and had to drive 1 hour a day in traffic i wouldnt get a stick shift eather. :jump:

·
Slow but turns
2,965 Posts
That tiptronic thing in TSX. When you put it in that mode, is it automatically in 1st or 3rd? Cause I know Lexus IS300's sport shift mode puts it automatically in 3rd gear.
if you are idle, you are in 1st gear, if youre going 10 mph and switch to sportshift mode youll be in 2nd gear. if youre cruising at highway speed off 55 MPH and over you are in 5th gear, if youre going 40 MPH you are at 4th gear.

if you have it in D3, you are either in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear depending on how fast ur going

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
(This thread was started 7.5 years ago...but since I already wrote a response, here it is below.)

It sounds like OP would be better off with an automatic. The TSX is an entry sports/luxury sedan, so we can either embrace the sports aspect or the luxury aspect. OP just wants to relax in traffic while he holds his coffee cup in one hand.

I went with a MT because it was rated one of the best available. It was something I didn't want to pass up, even though I hadn't driven a MT since high school (when my BMW quit on me, I switched to an automatic honda).

To be honest, I don't even notice myself shifting anymore, unless when my leg falls asleep. I've driven to Vegas (4-5 hours) in heavy traffic before. I shifted automatically, and never had issues (even when I was in stop-and-go traffic while going uphill).

The good thing about MT is that you have full power over the engine and can extract its maximum power. If you're not going to keep the engine in high RPMs, you might as well get an auto. At least you will have tiptronic to be able to semi-control the gears.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
there's your answer :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ive been driving 97M3 with a stick for almost 100k miles in the NY borough. even tho it can be a bitch driving in traffic there was no way in hell id get an automatic. I guess im getting old but the automatic seems pretty smooth and very easy to drive. If your a devil on the road id get the stick but if youre a normal sane driver id pick the auto.

·
-
1,791 Posts
LOL, you can always easily tell the automatic transmission TSX's, they are at the back of the pack!!

Just kidding... :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.