Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm an older dude, and any of you that were on G2iC or Club4ag may recognize my username. But I find myself coming back full circle into Hondas... Well technically I never left haha

Anyways, I'm here because of Dieselgate, I had a great MK6 TDI and it was perfect for commuting from Oakland to San Mateo. I was averaging 48mpg with a heavy foot and roofrack for surfboards. After turning in my car, I was dead set on a coupe or a small sports car but my fiancee said nah. My buddy was selling his 05 NHBP Navi 6spd TSX and I said, well, why not?

The car had the typical axle wobble but other than that, it was pretty stout. And before I started diving deep into the mods. The first thing I got were some all weather floormats and a roofrack.

I've been tracking my MPG and before the roofrack I was getting a solid 28-30mpg

with the roof rack I'm down to 28mpg.

After I installed the CT-E icebox I'm down to averaging between 26-28mpg haha damnit. *I still have to install flashpro*

Speaking of which;

I did the CTE box and replica A-Spec lip install at the same time. I really really like how it turned out. I also got a Mugen grill (probably also a rep) from Yahoo Japan Auctions for like $60 shipped

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pt 2.

This is where it gets fun.

I bought Tony Jacksons old Koni/GC Eibach combo because I love doing track days. I actually rushed the install and forgot some washers.

The truth is, living in the bay area as a car enthusiast isn't feasible if you dont have a garage.

And my apartment complex isn't too kind to people working on their cars in our assigned parking spots. So I did the install at my parents place and just rushed through it.

While I was under there I did a progress 22mm sway bar and front and rear camber kit (skunk2 front and Ingalls spherical rear)

Also threw on some new Brembo blanks and Hawk DT-60 pads.

Halfway through driving home, I heard a huge "clunking" sound. GUESS WHO FORGOT WASHERS AT THE TOP HAT BUSHINGS. This guy.

I said F it, and drove the rest of the way to my apartment. Had my buddy at Alameda Import Automotive fix it after I had it towed there.

After fixing my major F up. I took a day off to finish track day prep. Went and got the new wheels and tires mounted and got an alignment at Winstons Auto Service in Santa Clara

The wheels are BUddy Club P1s 17x9 +37 (F) 17x8 +40 (R)
Tires are Federal 595 RS-RR 235/40 square

Unfortunately the camber they gave me was -1.0 in the front and -3.0 in the rear. I preferably would have liked -2.5 all around but the rear fender wasn't rolled so they couldnt adjust any more positive into it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car did really good at BW CW13. All credit to Tony Jackson for sending me a great suspension setup for someone getting back into FF driving

Session 1 was full of traffic and since it was Point by, I got stuck behind a guy in a yellow Cayman.
2:25 was my best

Session 2 they actually regrid us by time - and I got into the 2:16's

Session 3 nailed my PB at 2:14 and I'm leaving plenty of time on the table at Bus Stop and Phil Hill.

I'll post a video asap

·
Registered
708 Posts
Should be pretty easy to tell if the mugen grill is real or not. They have a mugen logo stamped on the back and the little pins to hold the mesh on are a dead give away.

Great track photos btw. Very jealous!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice man loving the set up. This chassis is really fun on track, Laguna seca and Thill west have been my favorites so far. I feel you about working on cars in the Bay Area. I’m in downtown SJ and it’s damn near impossible, i too have to do all my work at my parents place two hours away in the Central Valley.

A little shameless plugging here but I’m going to be returning my TSX to stock and selling it. If your interested in any parts let me know, rather deal local. EuroR Recaro seat, bardi ss, comptech RSB, flashpro, rb calipers, etc.

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MwJ8Sm2-iss" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice man loving the set up. This chassis is really fun on track, Laguna seca and Thill west have been my favorites so far. I feel you about working on cars in the Bay Area. I’m in downtown SJ and it’s damn near impossible, i too have to do all my work at my parents place two hours away in the Central Valley.

A little shameless plugging here but I’m going to be returning my TSX to stock and selling it. If your interested in any parts let me know, rather deal local. EuroR Recaro seat, bardi ss, comptech RSB, flashpro, rb calipers, etc.
I hit you on FB, but yea when the time comes, just let me know I'd be interested in the Recaro seat. And damnit I just bought flashpro haha

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
updates:

5Zigen Proracer Single Outlet (super duper quiet), Steel braided lines, RL Calipers, Evo 9 GSR wheels

its my daily, so I got tall profile Firestone Indy 500.

Next up is syncing my new ECU for flashpro and installing my PLM header.

Future:

RSX Oil Pan/Pickup/Pump
New Chain tensioner
RRC (RBC if I get impatient) + a nice TB

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice update. What pads did you go with? RL pad selection isn't stellar..
yea the RL pad selection sucks to be honest, I ended up using Powerstop Evo pads from RockAuto

I'm hoping to find some Hawk pads or use DT-60/70 if its available for those calipers when I do BW again

yikes, also I forgot I had an Imgur account haha

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice update. What pads did you go with? RL pad selection isn't stellar..
Update here: not too long ago when I was driving ae86s a good friend of mine introduced me to porterfield brake pads, he showed me the huge catalog and how he found a simliar size pad that worked well for ae86 applications.

long story short, I checked porterfield for a better pad and they have the R4-S available which is great for street and maybe the occasional track day.

BUT

since they have R4-S available, they can custom their R4 compound (more aggressive for trackday use) to the same pad backing. so now I have something comparable to Hawk DT-60/70 available for RL Calipers. It sounds like a bus when its cold, but at track temp they bite like crazy. I'll update when I place the order

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there anywhere other than Porterfield's site to get them?

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/Product/2442.html

Interested, I've never heard of porterfield but a quick search yielded alot of positive feedback.
confirmed, got an email from Wendy at porterfield saying that they do make R4 compound pads for serious track use. THe price is comparable to DTC-60 pads @ 249 for the fronts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts