Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn... on the way home from picking up the TSX from the shop I mis-shifted and the RPMS went over the redline, like if there was a number there maybe 9,000 rpm! Brought it to Neutral once that happened.

Everything seems to be running fine and smooth still. Any damage internally you think? Anything I should check for? No unusual smells.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So even if miss-shifted the ecu wont let the engine go over the rev-limiter? Ahh thats good to hear.
BTW the TSX looks perfect again! They did a good job!

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
justsomeboi said:
So even if miss-shifted the ecu wont let the engine go over the rev-limiter?
The rev-limiter does it's job very well, but it's not fool proof either.
Say if you are in 6th, and drop it into 1st (and step on tha gas), it's more than likely game over.
But in your case, holding her at 9k for a second, it should have done it's job :thumbsup:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
I'm guessing you mis-shifted from a higher gear to a lower gear? And what speed and gearing what that?

It doesn't take more than a split second to bend a valve or break something. The rev limiter is only designed for up-shift not down-shift.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Noel said:
I'm guessing you mis-shifted from a higher gear to a lower gear? And what speed and gearing what that?

It doesn't take more than a split second to bend a valve or break something. The rev limiter is only designed for up-shift not down-shift.
Im not sure of the speed but I was on sixth and I wanted to go to fifth and I guess i lost where I was and shifted to third

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Have your engine checked out by your local dealership if you feel that the car performs abnormally. You could have damaged something. Speed and gearing going from 6th to 3rd can easily bend something and fault may not necessarily be immediate.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Noel said:
Have your engine checked out by your local dealership if you feel that the car performs abnormally. You could have damaged something. Speed and gearing going from 6th to 3rd can easily bend something and fault may not necessarily be immediate.
phew took it for a spin. Everything appears to be running smoothly so far.

·
The Peoples Champ
609 Posts
justsomeboi said:
Damn... on the way home from picking up the TSX from the shop I mis-shifted and the RPMS went over the redline, like if there was a number there maybe 9,000 rpm! Brought it to Neutral once that happened.

Everything seems to be running fine and smooth still. Any damage internally you think? Anything I should check for? No unusual smells.

redlining the engine with under 1000 miles = not good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts