Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we all know the stock tires that came with tsx really really suck specially being on a front wheel drive car it's very slick in the rain
and even on dry road there's more torque steer feel. so I'm thinking about plus sizing the tires on all four corners on my next tire rotation or an alignment. any suggestions or has anybody done this upgrade?

·
Registered
954 Posts
KINEMATRIX said:
we all know the stock tires that came with tsx really really suck specially being on a front wheel drive car it's very slick in the rain
and even on dry road there's more torque steer feel. so I'm thinking about plus sizing the tires on all four corners on my next tire rotation or an alignment. any suggestions or has anybody done this upgrade?
Maybe 225/45/17?

·
Registered
42 Posts
How about 235/45-17 on the stock 7" rims???
Is the tire too wide for the rim???
Will this tire [235] fit in the wheel well???
I want to plus-size my tires too and go for ultra-high performance tires i.e. Michelin Pilot Sport [PS2] or Bridgestone Potenza S03 or Goodyear Eagle F1 or HP in Z rating...
has anyone tried that yet???

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Check with a tyre shop, that's the best bet using their experience. A wider/larger tyre may not necessary mean better grip/handling or performance. Not only that, slower acceleration and general turning circle will be affected.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
KINEMATRIX said:
"Plus sizing" means going to a larger rim than stock-in the case of the TSX, a plus 1 would be an 18" rim, a plus 2 would be a 19".

What you're suggesting is trying to put a different size tire on your 17" rim.

Your choices would be:

225/45/17- will fit fine; it's actually a little smaller than stock, so you'll have a little more wheel gap, but on the positive side there's lots of choices in this size. Sidewall is shorter, so depending on the tire, the sidewall would probably be a little stiffer.

225/50/17- will also fit if you're not lowered; slightly larger than stock, will give a smoother ride with it's larger sidewall. I wouldn't recommend this size.

235/45/17-not on the stock rim. You'd need to be a least 7.5" wide for most 235s. This size is really good for the TSX though-it's the same overall size, a stiffer sidewall for improved handling, and more rubber on the road. The TL uses this size on a 8" wide rim, which would be my choice with this size.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am currently running 235/45/17 on stock rims with no problems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am on Bridgestone Potenzas RE750 235/45-17 94W on OE rims without any problems... the ride, tracking, braking, cornering are all much better and without more noise...
One other thing that I noticed is that my gas mileage has increased tremendously with these new tires over the OE tires... I don't have hard numbers but I seem to go 50% farther per tank of gas...
Has anyone else observed this??? :flower:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm currently on Goodyear Eagle F1's (front) and Michelin Pilot Sports (rear) both on 225/45/17 and find that the F1's are excellent in the wet/dry. Dry performance is similar but there's much better traction (than the Bridgestones) in the wet.

If you need a good wet weather tyre (and I do ;) ) then the F1's are great. They were rated as the best in the wet by a UK magazine that tested them alongside the Bridgestones, Toyos, Michelins, Pirelli, Continentals and a few others.

Not sure about sizing though. 225/45/17 is about as close as I can get without increasing the intended rolling radius. Going larger would throw my speedo out (making it under read) so is a no no here due to the speed cameras and traffic police with speed traps etc :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
jprovostla said:
I am on Bridgestone Potenzas RE750 235/45-17 94W on OE rims without any problems... the ride, tracking, braking, cornering are all much better and without more noise...
One other thing that I noticed is that my gas mileage has increased tremendously with these new tires over the OE tires... I don't have hard numbers but I seem to go 50% farther per tank of gas...
Has anyone else observed this??? :flower:
Keep in mind that if the outside circumference changed (in comparison to your original tire), mpg calculations may not be 100% accurate. Of course there are other factors such as rolling resistance (specific to tire), pressure, etc.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
I talked with a tire shop and they said a 235/45/17 will work no problems on the stock rims even with 7" wide rim. This size is also closest to the stock tire size and will provide the least deviation from the speedometer/etc. Use the search function for other posts containing the tire calculators..you'll see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts