Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Metra kit issue has been revived recently I figured I would post a couple of good photos I found of the kit actually installed. Personally, they support my decision not to go with the kit for my car. Apart from the unreliability of the a/c controls it’s just plain ugly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wow, yeah. That’s ugly. Thanks for sharing
I got one of these kits to try with an afternarket double DIN head unit, as the only way to do so without a custom wiring and install of some kind. It totally wasn't worth it. After a week I sold them at a 40% loss or something and put the stock head unit back in, with a sound processor to clean up and dial in the audio signals (I had already upgraded the amp and speakers and subwoofer).

These pics aren't even close up. Believe it or not (though it's not that hard to believe), it's uglier up close and in person.

The tactile feel of pressing the buttons is terrible: like pressing the little rubber bungs that passed for buttons on a 1980s calculator watch, but larger.

The HVAC controls are flaky, as mentioned, especially the fan setting; and the display for the temperature and fan setting was very tiny and hard to read from a seated driving position.

It killed the backlit clock display in the dashboard, which is driven off of the OEM head unit, making whatever head unit you installed the sole clock reading (if it had one displayed).

And if I recall correctly, most of the audio controls to the steering wheel were disabled.

I got all the NAV and maps and iPhone connectivity I needed simply by adding the USA Spec iPod adapter and then adapting the old 30-pin connector to use with the modern Lightning cable. Ta-da, I can put my phone on the dash with a magnetic mount and have it all, while charging the phone, when I need to drive somewhere that I need a GPS for.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a way to keep the oem Sc control ?
Don’t use the Metra kit. Do what Robardin ultimately did. Usa Spec now has a bluetooth adapter that plugs in to the oem stereo the way the Ipod adapter does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts