Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was looking at one of the links that HIP pointed out in another thread and this article caught my eye:
(Well, actually the word "topless" in the title caught my eye but that's beside the point :))

Topless Mini to Arrive in U.S. Showrooms in August
Posted on 3/3/04 1:32p.m. CST

GENEVA — The long-anticipated convertible version of the popular Mini Cooper made its world debut at a media preview for the Geneva International Motor Show. It will make its first U.S. appearance at the New York International Auto Show in April.

The Mini convertible remains a full-fledged four-seater. Its cloth roof, available in three colors, powers down in 15 seconds, according to Mini officials. Press a button, and the integrated sliding roof opens; then the soft-top folds to the rear. The rear columns automatically retract, and the rear side windows move down at the same time. The top folds behind the rear seats and does not require a tonneau cover.

The convertible features what Mini calls the Easy Load system. With the roof closed, two levers in the luggage compartment fold up the bottom section of the cover, which is fastened on a tightening bracket. When the rear lid is open, it provides convenient access to the luggage compartment. In addition, the rear seatbacks fold forward and fasten securely in position to expand luggage capacity.

The convertible will be available in both the Cooper and Cooper S models and is expected to compete with the Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible. When it goes on sale later this year in the United States, the soft-top Mini will cost between $4,000 and $5,000 more than the comparable hardtop versions. The Cooper hardtop now starts at $16,449; the Cooper S starts at $19,899. The Cooper convertible will go on sale in the United States in August, and the Cooper S version will follow later.

·
06 FA Cup Champs
1,106 Posts
Damn, BMW sure is doing a great job extending the MINI line. They have this nice choptop coming, a lengthened wagon in the pipeline, and rumors galore on euro magazines about sedans, pickups, and SUVs all bearing the MINI DNA.

Now, if Bangle doesn't 'f' this line up, it looks promising for BMW.

Junkster, whose sad that their is no "English" carmaker anymore.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Whatchamacallit said:
Was looking at one of the links that HIP pointed out in another thread and this article caught my eye:
(Well, actually the word "topless" in the title caught my eye but that's beside the point :))......
:D :D

And what caught my eye was this:

"The Mini convertible remains a full-fledged four-seater."

Right.

I love the Mini (without ever even having been in it), but that's a stretch. Literally. :D

OK, let's see what somebody else says about the back seat.....oh good, here's Consumer Guide.....

"Sufficient head room and seat width for adults, though seat is not contoured or padded for much comfort. Knee space OK only if front seats set more than halfway forward. Shoebox-sized footwells restrict movement and thus comfort, and they become unusable if the front cushions aren't tilted high enough to clear toes."

No wait a minute, this is how I should have done it:

"Sufficient head room and seat width for adults, though seat is not contoured or padded for much comfort. Knee space OK only if front seats set more than halfway forward. Shoebox-sized footwells restrict movement and thus comfort, and they become unusable if the front cushions aren't tilted high enough to clear toes."

(Sorry Mini, just a little friendly trash talk.)

I do love the Mini. But "full-fledged four-seater" is, uh, a stretch. :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
There's a Mini dealer down the street from me and just for laughs I decided to check it out when shopping for the TSX. When I adjust the driver's seat to fit, the seatback is within an inch of the front edge of the rear seat. I'm 5'8" with short legs.

A Cooper S with the options to match the TSX costs upwards of $37k Cdn. A TSX here is $34.8k. Nutty.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
kiteboy said:
.....A Cooper S with the options to match the TSX costs upwards of $37k Cdn. A TSX here is $34.8k. Nutty.
In New York City it's even worse than that. The NY Times had a story about the car a few months ago, and it said the car was in such great demand that just on the regular Mini, some dealers were only offering the car with numerous add-ons that brought the price to $29,000 U.S. (which I think is over 38K Cdn) -- and they were getting it too.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You know what they say about fools and their money... if the dealers can sell them at that price, all the power to them.

I do give props to BMW for releasing the Mini Classic, which at $22k Cdn is a much more sensible choice as a fun-to-drive urban runabout. If they can get the reliablity up, that is. I heard Mini is among the 10 worst brands rated by JD Power.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it true that there is no space to stow the spare tire/donut in a Mini Cooper's trunk?

A distant friend of mine has a Cooper and I remember him telling me that he has to put the spare ON the back seat. But he decided to take it out all together since the tires are "run flats" so it still allows him to drive even with a flat.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Whatchamacallit said:
Is it true that there is no space to stow the spare tire/donut in a Mini Cooper's trunk?

A distant friend of mine has a Cooper and I remember him telling me that he has to put the spare ON the back seat. But he decided to take it out all together since the tires are "run flats" so it still allows him to drive even with a flat.
Well, I checked the web, and what you find is all over the map.

Some stuff says it doesn't come with a spare tire because the tires are "run flats" so you don't need one.
Some stuff says it doesn't come with a spare tire because there's no room for one.
And some stuff says it does come with a spare tire, like this Edmunds review:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/min...tml?tid=edmunds.n.review.leftsidenav..7.MINI*

Looks to me like maybe they started giving a "temporary spare tire" with the '04. But I'm not sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.