Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my moonroof open completely the other day and was outside the car polishing around the edges of the opening when I happened to look at the tracks the moonroof slides in. Towards the front of the tracks on both sides there appears to a black goo which looks to have been smeared in the tracks a bit by the moonroof sliding action. From what I can tell it looks like there are a couple of "blobs" near the front corners of the tracks, possibly placed there as a sort of sealant against water. I'm pretty sure it's not lubricant but I wanted to check to see if anyone can slide their roof open and take a look from the outside to see if they see the same thing I see... see? :)

Thanks!!!

Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
fixed

Well I checked with a friend of mine who is a mechanic and said that the "goo" I was seeing was not supposed to be in the sunroof track.

Slide the sunroof all the way back to the fully open position and step out of the car. Now, look at the track on either side of the roof that the sunroof actually slides in. All you *should* see is a light coat of lithium grease, usually a light golden to white, semi-transparent color. However, if you see black streaks of "goo" in the tracks, along with the expected grease, you might want to clean them and regrease them.

The black "goo" is sort of poured into the area at the front of these tracks in an effort to help seal out water from working it's way up into them. To understand why you would want to seal something *inside* the sunroof you need to know how it really keeps water from getting into the vehicle.

First, the outer seal of the sunroof never actually creates a 100% watertight seal. This would be difficult to achieve and maintain over the life of the vhicle. Instead, all the way around the sunroof on the inside is a small channel which flows water down to the front roof pillars where it then drains down through the roof pillars. There are actually holes which the water drains down through. This channel catches any water, usualy minimal, which happens to make it past the outer seal, or happens to drop down in when the roof is opened after a rainfall or when there is dew on it. However, if the water *were* to ever get deep enough inside this channel, apparently it *could* get into the tracks the roof slides in. So, the black "goo" was sort of dripped in between some of the plastic parts near the roof pillars where the water could potentially "back up" the most. This black "goo" however appears to have migrated a bit further than planned and was caught and dragged by the roof when it slides. The black color is *not* grease. It's *very* sticky and gummy in between your fingers.

So, if you're feeling ambitious and want to clean it out and regrease the tracks, it's really easy. A tube of grease costs about .97 at an auto store. I'm not sure if this "goo" was only used in later models due to some sort of known problem but it was definitely in mine that was just shipped in July. You would want to use only lithium grease.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts