Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just a beginner when it comes to doing mods and I have done a bit of research. Car is completely stock right now but my engine has recently blown so I'm replacing. Just wondering, since I have downtime and the engine is going to be out anyway, which would be the best mods to add during this time for reasonable price? I'm thinking along the lines of exhaust(high flow cat/header), pulleys, and reflash. I've never really done mods myself but I feel as if the header etc would be easier done if the motor is coming out anyway. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
sigh... search. asked like once a month

My take: Pulley > Reflash > Cat > CAI & Header > Exhaust

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, sorry I have done a ton of searching I just feel that most people are getting mods done while their car is currently running. Since mine is not I was just wondering if there were any advantages of getting some particular things done while the engine is out of service. Also, just finished a long phone convo with a hondata dealer that heavily advises against the pulleys. Thanks for your input though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeah, sorry I have done a ton of searching I just feel that most people are getting mods done while their car is currently running. Since mine is not I was just wondering if there were any advantages of getting some particular things done while the engine is out of service. Also, just finished a long phone convo with a hondata dealer that heavily advises against the pulleys. Thanks for your input though.
Out of curiosity why did they advise against pulleys?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Due to the lightweight crank pulley not having a vibration dampener this guy said on a couple engines he built for racing, the vibration got so bad it was backing out the bolts on the flywheel which he torqued and 'lock-tighted' himself. Not only that, but more importantly also shattered the oil pump. If you look up this problem I have seen a couple other cases to back it up. May not happen to everyone but I don't plan to risk it for minimal gains.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Due to the lightweight crank pulley not having a vibration dampener this guy said on a couple engines he built for racing, the vibration got so bad it was backing out the bolts on the flywheel which he torqued and 'lock-tighted' himself. Not only that, but more importantly also shattered the oil pump. If you look up this problem I have seen a couple other cases to back it up. May not happen to everyone but I don't plan to risk it for minimal gains.
I agree

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
TarmacTSX
1,589 Posts
That's useful info about the crank pulley, I wonder how common that problem really is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Would go with the valve job too while the motor is off. while your doing the other stuff the head could be getting work done. And instead of regular gaskets your going to have to get replace em with hondata, p2r, throttle gasket etc while your at it Small things add up and those will help run cooler. Get the head milled if you plan on staying n/a to raise compression and good head gasket. My 2 cents

·
Triple Platinum Member
601 Posts
Also, just finished a long phone convo with a hondata dealer that heavily advises against the pulleys.
Let's not confuse the issue--being a hondata dealer does not qualify anyone to do anything other than following hondata's directions on how to use their product and install them. This is a separate issue all together.

There are special harmonic dampers for race engines that are going to work alot harder and rev alot higher than most of us will ever push our TSX. These motors are heavily modified beyond what most of us have a budget for.

Even so, the fact that people increase damping when building up the motor does make the lightweight pulley in combo with other performance mods seem like a step in the wrong direction.

The question is how much damping/mass is needed? Did honda overdo it in the interest of reliability and having the engine run smooth? They plugged up the air intake to get the engine to run quietly in the car. If you're willing to give that up, there's a really minor gain there. The same compromise could apply here. I don't know if anyone really knows the effects. It seems like the support for these is based on a lack of catastrophic failure, and some butt dyno results.

I don't have pulleys and probably never will.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
agreed on the pulleys. I was looking into them as well and after talking with the guys at hytech im completely against them. I also talked to a few others (not tsx owners) and they didnt like them either. For a daily driver the amount you get in return does not outweigh the possibility of having problems later. Not to mention aluminum pulleys wear out over time.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
oh well... all mods = risk / leap of faith.

CAI? oh, water might get into engine block, don't do it.
Header? oh, might run lean, and doesn't warm your catalytic converter.
Exhaust? oh, might throw annoying engine light problem
Suspension, oh, might damage your frame / geometry.

blah blah blah...

anyhoo, I can tell you I love the pulleys the most out of all the mods. And it has not caused any problem, like many other TSX owners with light weight pulleys installed.

·
-
1,695 Posts
Please show me an actual TSXer who had problems with pulleys. Not that guy whos chatted with your granny but an actual member who can say it personally. Ill buy a beer to one wholl show me !
I totally agree. There are tons of TSX folks running aftermarket undamped crank pulleys with ZERO issues reported.

I played it very safe with my wife's TSX, installing an RSX-S K20 damped steel OEM crank pulley which is lighter & slightly underdriven when used on the TSX K24.

If I had to do it again, I would have installed a UR underdriven aluminum crank pulley (the alternator & water pump pulleys are just for show IMO).

Reactions: kewlliljethro
1 - 14 of 14 Posts