Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got Hondata and a Mugen exhaust....think I will have problems getting it Smogged etc?

Thanks!

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
I have hondata reflash, comptech header, stock 06 cat, apexi ws2 exhaust and passed smog just fine last year

·
ridiculously good looking
646 Posts
Hondata wont be an issue...does your Mugen exhaust have a C.A.R.B. badge on it? If not, it may fail visual smog inspections....usually you just give the mechanic an extra $20 and he pretends he never saw it....but dont try that with a police officer. ;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks!

Do they give you any crap about the exhaust or do they basically ignore it?

Also have an s2000 with a comptech exhaust and I don't know if I should bother putting the silencers in it. It is louder than my TSX but not insane or anyhing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No CARB badge...I didn't think cat-backs had CARB numbers? Jut can't be > 95db?

Hondata wont be an issue...does your Mugen exhaust have a C.A.R.B. badge on it? If not, it may fail visual smog inspections....usually you just give the mechanic an extra $20 and he pretends he never saw it....but dont try that with a police officer. ;)

·
5,412 Posts
Apexi ws2 does not have a carb badge and i passed just fine. they care more about having a cat and a carb header. smog folks don't care about exhaust noise. I think they only test for emissions. the police on the other hand may care and give you trouble over a loud exhaust.

·
ridiculously good looking
646 Posts
after further review, tekneek is correct. Just make sure the exhaust sound is less than or equal to 95 dbA.

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.
Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

27150 (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

(b) Except as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000) with respect to off-highway motor vehicles subject to identification, every passenger vehicle operated off the highways shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained so as to meet the requirements of Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200), and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not be applicable to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool. Didn't mention changing out my mugen intake but assumed that would not pass. Need to switch out form comptech I guess :(

·
5,412 Posts
I have a short ram apexi intake and i swap it out when i smog. intakes need a carb stamp/sticker like headers do or you're very likely to fail visual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts