Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm new here and very much considering a TSX. But I had a few questions first...

I drive a Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav. Which, in essence, pretty much the same car as a new 2011 or 2012 TSX though I do know and realize that the TSX excels in several areas.

As I mentioned, my Accord has a nav. which I use, but it's not a necessity. From the research I've done it appears as though the 2011 TSX's on have a new LED backlit/higher resolution display that uses a HDD and has live traffic and weather updates. Is that the case with the 2009-2010 TSX's? That's to say is the nav. from those years just like it is on my Accord (DVD-based with no traffic/weather) or is there a difference there?

I've heard conflicting things in regard to music streaming. My wife's Altima allows her to wirelessly steam music to the radio. Is that the case with the TSX or no? In my Accord, I just plug it via the USB, but doing it wirelessly would be nice. Assuming I had the Tech package, does the music cover art show up on the display or is just textual information? Not a huge deal, but I like the little things...

I did a test drive of a 2012 TSX yesterday and the salesman said that it didn't require Premium Fuel. Again I've heard differing opinions on this. What's the verdict?

Lastly, for those that have made the leap from the Accord to the TSX - what do you like better or worse?

Thanks for any and all help/advice you can give!

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
From the research I've done it appears as though the 2011 TSX's on have a new LED backlit/higher resolution display that uses a HDD and has live traffic and weather updates. Is that the case with the 2009-2010 TSX's? That's to say is the nav. from those years just like it is on my Accord (DVD-based with no traffic/weather) or is there a difference there?
I'm not sure about the new LED or HDD, but I know that the 2010 has traffic updates. I think it has weather too, but since we don't have the traffic/weather subscription, we don't use that feature. (We only do the $88/year music subscription.)

I did a test drive of a 2012 TSX yesterday and the salesman said that it didn't require Premium Fuel. Again I've heard differing opinions on this. What's the verdict?
The engine was designed for premium fuel, but with the current technology of knock sensors and stuff, the computer is able to compensate for regular fuel by changing the timing and reducing performance and fuel economy. If you want the advertised performance and fuel economy, you should use premium fuel. It's only .20 cents more a gallon, which equates to $2.60 more per fill up/tank. With regular fuel, you will end up going to the gas station more often.

Of course you'll find some people here who are happy with just running regular fuel. However, do note that they do mostly highway driving and no aggressive driving at all (ie: taking their time accelerating to freeway speeds). A lot of people try to maximize their fuel economy...personally I floor it whenever I can so that I can enjoy the car.

·
Co-Driver
670 Posts
09-10 Nav is DVD based. 11-12 they updated to the HDD usb system with a nicer screen and interface. Faster and looks more crisp. The 09-10 still have the weather and traffic update if you have that included with your xm service. 11-12's improved on a few little things i'm sure. They have thicker glass for better sound deadening. I have used the streaming blue tooth audio function on my phone but the quality sounds like crap i think. Having it plugged in with the usb or aux sounds way better. my 09 doesnt show any cover art. I'm not sure about the 11-12. As far as using premium fuel, it is suggested but all it will do is retard your timing and give you worse mileage and performance. I have been runnnig regular with no issue but plan on using premium when it gets warmer out. I think the quality is much better on the tsx compared to the accord but it depends on how important price and having the v6 is to you. If you go from the v6 accord to the 4 cylinder tsx you might be slightly dissappointed with power. I personally think it makes up for it in styling and quality and it's still fun to drive around town. Just test drive a couple and decide from there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also had a 2009 Accord for 3 years and in August replaced it with a 2011 TSX Sport Wagon Tech. It is a whole lot more vehicle. The only downside I have noticed is it definitely is not as easy to enter/exit the second row as it is the Accord. The TSX doors are a bit smaller. This may or may not be an issue for you and your passengers.

This isn't to say I don't have my complaints about the tsx. The audio system is a wonderous piece of technology that both sounds great and for the most part is USELESS. DVD-Audio? That went out 10 years ago. DVD player that CAN'T read DVDs with MP3s? From this point, the 6 cd changer that the Honda has is a better deal. Harddrive that can only store from CD rips? (Who still buys CD's?) USB MP3 player that can't search for songs on the memory key (requires iPod).

·
Co-Driver
670 Posts
I wouldnt say the stereo is useless. The worst drawback i found was the speaker quality. I think its only a matter of time before the 6.5 speakers need to be replaced. I can see your frustration but I either have a cd in, music streaming from my phone hooked up by the aux, or a usb with a ton of songs plugged in. Plenty of music choice. And there is always xm radio too. There is just something about the TSX that I like a lot more then an Accord.

·
Usin' skills to pay bills
81 Posts
Keep in mind that the TSX is essentially the European Accord, it's smaller size (and extra style) made for the narrower roads/more progressive tastes of the Europeans. I concur, our dealer (under her breath) said it IS possible to use regular unleaded fuel in our TSX. I used it several times, paid less at the pump, did notice the decrease in power and not much MPG increase, less fun factor as a result. The Handsfree bluetooth works great with my base model (not tech) with my Iphone 4s. I have to say the phone number of the person I'm calling (unlike in Tech, I can just say the name of the person I'm calling). Also, I can use Iphone SIRI and verbally send texts via Handsfree, a handy feature.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
113 Posts
If your car says premium gas why put regular in it? If the cost is too much for you, get a car that requires regular unleaded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, well it took me 9 months longer than expected to move from my Accord to the TSX but effective today I'm the proud owner of a 2012 TSX Tech (Basque Red Pearl if anyone cares).

LOVE IT!

I got the dealer to throw in some all-weather OEM floor mats, but was wondering what other accessories would be considered "essential?"

·
SW Apprentice
26 Posts
Nice pic up! I have a 1 I will say my BT is giving me problems but I plan taking it back to have Acura remedy that along with the Navigation. It seems as though it's out dated.

Did you happen to see a Vortex Blue Wagon?

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Good news, now post pics!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I'm going to tomorrow. By the time I got home this evening it was already dark. Probably going to pick up a trunk liner and a new leather shift knob. I installed the cargo hooks in my Accord, but they were more trouble than they were worth to do again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, first off here's a pic.

This car was a "loaner" from my dealer, they had about 10 of them and are selling them all off. 6K miles.

I'm sure I need to fiddle with my nav system, etc. but after driving it for nearly a day (although probably in the car for an hour), here are some initial thoughts vs. my 2011 Accord:

LIKE:
HID Headlights
Softer leather, seats feel more comfortable
Navigation display has traffic/weather/no glare/much brighter
Bluetooth Audio
Ambient lights both above and down below
More solid, yet compact feel to it - much quieter than the Accord
Color (have always thought dark red/maroon was very classy)
"ACURA" door sills - nice touch
perforated leather seats
Stereo is much better
"Information System" that tells total miles, MPG, etc. very handy

INTERESTING:
Switchblade key - I kind of lost interest after about four of five times, I'll just keep it out
Paddle shifters - I wanted manual, but didn't want the SE, so I might play with these, but it's just not the same.
Console A/C - To keep drinks cool. Hmmm, ok. I've got it closed off.

DON'T LIKE:
The fog lights - I like fog lights in general, but with the silver around them, with the black they look somewhat cheap. I realize that's how all of these look, but I much preferred the look of my Accord's where the body color was all around it and they looked more "embedded" in the car, whereas these look snapped on.

Overall great car, no regrets whatsoever!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts