Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed their TSX guzzling gas? The last two times I've filled up it seems like its chewing through gas. I took it to the dealer and they said just to keep tabs on it. The last tank I got around 22.5 mpg. I know its been significantly higher before. And this tank looks like it's going to be less. Just wondering

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Welcome back, Equ! I see you were here last year (before my time), glad you came back!

But sorry to see you've been having this little problem. And IMO since it's been more than just one tank's worth, it looks like it IS a problem, unless of course you've been driving differently than usual (more aggressively) or the conditions have been different (more traffic or more city-driving).

We've seen that different people's numbers can differ a lot from each other, so just seeing that 22.5 figure doesn't tell us anything. For some people, that's a normal figure; in fact, people who drive super-aggressively get even less. If you know what kinds of MPG you were getting before, then we'd know what to make of the 22.5.

Depending on the person, the "normal" figures for the TSX have ranged from about 19 to the low 30's.
BTW the TSX seems to be an unusually sensitive car to how you drive and what the conditions are, with one exception: It is very little sensitive to whether or not the A/C is on.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Howdy,

I'm getting about 26 MPG consistently. (I do about 65% city/35% highway driving).

Also, I've heard that gasoline in winter is formulated to give you worse MPG than the summer formula.

Has your driving habit changed?
Have you switched to a different octain?
Have you changed to a different brand of gas?
Are you driving with more junk in the trunk? (No, that's not a reference to your waistline) :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya I've been all through those questions. And nothing has really changed. I drive the same way w/ premium gas and normally go to the same stations. All I know is that I noticed that the fuel guage has been emptying faster than it ever has. I've had my car for a year. I haven't been alarmed before. I have had no need to calculate my mpg previously. But it was def higher than 22.5.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
If that's so, then I say something's definitely wrong.

About the winter gasoline thing: I thought of that, but if anything this factor would be working in the other direction lately. And anyway he's in Florida so I don't know if it applies at all. I knows it's colder there in winter than in summer (and more so in the inland areas, like Orlando), but I'm not sure that they change the gasoline there in the winter.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I currently average 22.5MPG in my TSX, which I would consider kinda bad. It hurts everytime I fill up and the range of 295 miles suxs! Thats why I don't drive it as much as I used to. I am driving my Accord or CR-V more cuz they use the cheapest gas and aren't gas guzzlers like my TSX. Winter time was brutal on mileage on my TSX. I averaged 18.7MPG back in January in my TSX. :(

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
My total average is 23.81 since I owned my TSX. I've had 19MPG recorded 4 times, once in Nov, 2 in Jan and 1 in early Feb. When I drive mostly on highways, I get about 26-27. Otherwise it's around 22-25.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Since we're giving our data: I averaged about 28 for the first few months -- until the winter, when it went down to 25-26. I expect it to go back up again.

But those are overall averages. I drive differently at different times, and I've had long stretches when the average would be as high as 32 or as low as 22.

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Im on 250+ miles (the first 250) having taken delivery with <45 on. I'm about 1/3 full.

So that looks like about 200 miles on about 11 gallons. Ive been following Clutch Performer's breakin routine and am regularly buzzing to 4000 in 1st and 2d and shifting up and down while cruising. Almost entirely city/freeway burst miles.

About 18 mpg. Given style of driving and breakin that seems satisfactory to me.

How linear or non-linear is the gauge? It seemed that it came off F pretty quick then slowed markedly in the middle?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
MarkPinTx said:
Im on 250+ miles (the first 250) having taken delivery with <45 on. I'm about 1/3 full.

So that looks like about 200 miles on about 11 gallons. Ive been following Clutch Performer's breakin routine and am regularly buzzing to 4000 in 1st and 2d and shifting up and down while cruising. Almost entirely city/freeway burst miles.

About 18 mpg. Given style of driving and breakin that seems satisfactory to me.

How linear or non-linear is the gauge? It seemed that it came off F pretty quick then slowed markedly in the middle?
Hey Mark, howya doin'? Sounds like pretty good!

Ah yes, Clutch Performer -- I don't think he knows we're here. I imagine he'd love to know. OTOH it's not that easy..... And BTW don't necessarily go telling him, b/c people have been banned over there for that kind of thing. Pretty silly, eh? To each their own.

About your points and questions, a few things:

You are right about the gauge being non-linear, exactly right. It comes down from "F" faster than it should. However, I must say that this isn't the case in my car to the same degree that other people seem to be saying.

Digression (but an important one :D ):
Perhaps a related thing, which I don't think anybody has ever reported on any site: The Trip Computer (which only the Nav cars have) consistently under-calculates and over-calculates the remaining "range" at certain points. At least I think it's related, because it seems completely correlated with how the gas gauge is non-linear, and maybe this could be a hint to Honda/Acura about what's wrong and how to fix it.

Are you there Honda/Acura? :D

What happens with the "range" is that during the first portion of travel after each fill-up, it goes down way faster than it should. But -- and this winds up looking really weird -- it makes up for it by actually going UP for a while later on. You might think this could be because you've started driving more efficiently, or because now you're doing highway driving vs. city driving. Originally I thought that was it, but it's not -- it's totally and purely a function of where you are in the gas tank. Purely and totally. And it does correlate completely with the non-linearity of the gas gauge.

Got that, Honda/Acura? :D

OK, back on topic.

About your calculated mileage: You probably know this, but that initial calculation doesn't have much reliability behind it. Firstly and mainly, you have no idea how "full" the tank was when you got the car. It probably wasn't topped off, and, from the numbers I'd guess it wasn't even very full. Plus, of course, the data from any one tank are always just approximate for a variety of reasons.

I guarantee you that within the next couple of tanks, you'll see that your MPG is considerably higher than 18. And it will mostly NOT be due to break-in, just more reliable data.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
larchmont said:
And anyway he's in Florida so I don't know if it applies at all.
Ahhh, larchmont. I'm a female. Anyways.... my mpg is slowlying getting better. This last tank was 23.3 as opposed to the 22.5 of the tank before. So hopefully it keep creeping back to what it used to be around.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Equ222 said:
Ahhh, larchmont. I'm a female......
I hate when I do that. aehe10
Sorry Equ!
Well, you know what they say about when you "assume."
Anyways.... my mpg is slowly getting better. This last tank was 23.3 as opposed to the 22.5 of the tank before. So hopefully it keep creeping back to what it used to be around.
Hopefully yes, but, a couple of things:

(1) Probably there isn't any significant difference between those measurements. No matter what method we use or how well we try to do it, I don't think we can get measurements that are accurate to within 1 mpg on any one fill-up -- you need larger data in order to be that accurate. So really those numbers are essentially the same, and I don't think you can conclude yet that it's going in the right direction. Although maybe it is. I think you'll need at least a couple more before you can really know if there's any trend.

(2) But....even if it is creeping back to where it used to be, that would still mean something was wrong to make the number drop, right? Fortunately it would mean that it corrected itself and so maybe you don't have to worry about it. But if it was me, I'd still worry a little, because why would it have dropped? Unless you can come up with some other answer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
larchmont said:
I hate when I do that. aehe10
Sorry Equ!
Well, you know what they say about when you "assume."
no prob.
i think i'm just gonna keep my eye on it for the next couple tanks. if it gets any worse, i'll just take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I finished my first tank at 26.5 mpg ( I actually use the calculator in the TSX to get the result)

For comparison ( I drive on the same road everyday, so it's a good comparison):
It is 26-27mpg for the M3 also. Notice M3 is a 6 cyclinder and TSX is 4.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.