Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up guys, I just picked up another tsx and decided to start a build thread early on so I can record everything I've done to the car as it happens.

My 04 MSM build thread: https://www.tsxclub.com/forums/tsx-build-threads/[email protected]

At one point I seriously considered selling my main tsx and buying a later year black on black 6spd car to replace it. I decided against it at the time and boy am I glad because my baby is turning out to be a real show stopper.

With all of that background info out of the way let's get into this build.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
8/6/2018

An average night for me revolves around checking my local craigslist listings looking at cars I can't afford (I believe alot of people can relate to me lol)

On the night of 8/6/2018 I decided to check out the tsx listings in my local/surrounding areas to see if anyone was selling parts I could make use of. I happened to stumble upon this listing for a tsx in Delaware ( I live in Maryland)

This was the listing for the car and it checked off every single box I could dream of: 2007, 6spd, clean title, black exterior, black interior and navi! The seller had the car listed for $1500, this was the thing that made me initially click on the listing. You're probably reading that as saying wow that's a steal however the reason for the price was due to the ecu being shorted and the miles being at around 200k (car wouldn't turn on so it was a rough estimate). After some back and forth between the seller and I we agreed that I would rent a uhaul and come up to take the car back.

8/7/2018

My dad and I woke up early and we made the 2 hour drive out to see the car with his Tacoma and a uhual car trailer. Upon arrival I noticed the car was completely dead, brakes were seized, headlights were obviously aftermarket, both foglights were broken, last time the car was registered was in 2015 (which means everything had cobwebs) and a decent sized scuff/scratch on the driver side rear quarter. With all that in mind the seller and I agreed on $900 cash money for the car. I signed the title, loaded up the car and brought it back home with me.

Here are some pictures I took after I unloaded the car

cheeky photobomb by msmcl9

interior was pretty clean

So first things first I need to get the car running. The seller seemed to be very honest and told me after taking it to many mechanics they all told him that the ecu fried. I put the car on a battery box and tried to see if I could get the car to at least attempt to turn over, which it did. While I had the key on I found out the navi screen works as it should and the car has 201k miles. My dad is very savvy with hondas and he decided to scan the cars for codes, the scanner failed to pair with the car so that told me the ecu was causing the problems.

So with that in mind what caused the ecu to fry? We decided to test all of the fuses to make sure that they all had the correct voltage which they did. After poking around we noticed the alternator was a cheap no name one. After having trouble with a 2002 civic with ecu problems a couple years ago which also had a cheap alternator. With that in mind a 2007/2008 a21 ecu and a oem starter are the first thing's i'm gonna be ordering.

Tomorrow I plan on giving the car a good wash and interior cleaning , putting it on our lift to service the seized brakes and making a list of everything I need to replace or service.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
8/10/18

Alright so I woke up today and decided to troubleshoot the main issue of the car. Put the battery back into the car and noticed that the positive terminal was super corroded

This could be another factor to what caused the car to be where it's at.

Put the battery back in and tried to start the car up, the green key on the dash started to flash and that intrigued me. My next step was that if it was an ecu issue there should be moisture at the ecu or that it would smell burnt. Pulled the ecu out and smelt around, no funny smells and no moisture around the ecu area. That leads me to believe that the issue reflects back onto the green key flashing and not the ecu being fried. So I did some research and the green key means the immobilizer is not priming the fuel pump and giving the ecu the okay to start the car. That means the part I should get is a $100 immobilizer and not a $400 ecu. I decided to get into contact with a guy in PA who parts out these cars all the time. Made the 2 hour drive out to him and picked up the immobilizer, oem foglights, black cloth floormats and the trunk cloth cover

When I got back I decided to plug up the new immobilizer and hope that the snapon solus ultra can reprogram the new key and immobilizer to this car. Unfortunately the scanner keeps telling us to cycle the ignition on and off so we're stuck at where we started. My dad has a friend who specializes in this type of stuff so I'm just gonna pay him to fix this issue as we currently can't.

Next issue is to take off the front bumper and give it to my painter to redo.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The car deserves to be brought back to life. Subscribed!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8/11/2018

So my dad's friend came over who works for acura, he brought over his two scanners and both of them couldn't pair to the car. He said sees cars with this issue all the time and told me that it is in fact the cheap alternator that caused the ecu to fry. Now I really got to order an ecu and an alternator to get this car running.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
8/25

So I started college a couple weeks ago, that means car stuff will come to a slow crawl as I don't want to distract myself from what's really important. However I did manage to do some things to the car and take some pictures of the progress.

Around this time we still thought the ecu was the issue so I picked up an 07 manual ecu from serge bo and got a good deal on an oem trunk mat from an ig seller:

Called my dad's friend over to bring his tool in hopes of paring the ecu to the car, meanwhile I decided to clean out my trunk and install the parts I got for it

Before

After vacuuming, cleaning and replacing this is what it looked like

Man that trunk mat looks so good in there

This red 04 6spd used to belong to me, now it belongs to my dads friend and it's having some issues. Came back for it's 3rd starter change in 3 months, if this one goes bad we're just gonna have to buy a brand new one from acura.

After we did the starter on the red car, we put in this fresh denso alternator into the black car.

So long story less long, my dad's friend wasn't able to get the car started so at that point we had exhausted all of our options to get the car running. Off to Acura the car goes in the near future, hopefully they can get the car running.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
9/14/18

Dropped the car off to acura, after alot of trouble shooting they determined that the ecu wasn't the problem with the car. The previous owner had the axles changed and whoever did it was clearly not certified to do such a job, thing weren't connected properly and it was just overall a botched job. The mechanic at acura told me it was an improperly grounded speed sensor that had caused the ecu not to give the green light to start.
This was the total cost for having the car there for a couple days during diagnostics and repair. Could have been alot worse so I'm not mad at the price I had to pay.

After the acura ordeal the car fires up on the first try and runs as smooth as silk, only problem is the front wheels shake when I get up to speed, which is a telltale sign of nonoem axles. Now the hunt begins to find a set of oem ones to get rid of that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
9/15/18

Got a notification that an 07 tsx came into my local junkyard. Made a dash over there and picked up a few things to replace on this car.
Scored a mint black seat bottom, rear view mirror, front caliper, fuses and a ipod touch was in the glove box so I decided to uhh *acquire it.*

Got home and put the mirror on so at least I won't have any flags if I get pulled over.

Picked up this ct icebox from a member of tsx club, gonna install it when I take the front bumper off to get painted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So with that being said. Is the one in my car wrong as well seeing how it matches the one in the manual?

That's the OEM mirror, it has the automatic dimming switch in the middle. My 08 was stock when I purchased it and it had that mirror, my guess is that mirror in question was on an 04/05, and in 06-08 it was updated to ours. Since OP has an 04 and had an 05, he probably hasn't seen the updated mirror

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
10/20/18

After getting the car running I decided it was time to address the disgusting looking front end. Bought a set of oem 2006-2008 headlights from a member of the tsx facebook groups and dropped my front bumper off to paint.

After I got the bumper back I put everything back on
Starting to look like a tsx again!

over the next few months I got a set of oem axels, new tpms sensors, new rear tire and buffed the car

12/11/18

took a pic with both my cars together

1 - 20 of 21 Posts