Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey what's up guys, my name is Bryan and I finally decided to write up a build thread for my car.

Alot of people may know me by Bryan Rajkumar on facebook, @msmcl9 on insta and @CL9partsforsale on insta.

I got my car on december 15th 2015 as a 16th birthday gift from my parents to learn how to drive with and take to college. As of writing this post i'm currently 18 and would say that i'm pretty close to completing my build (big lie lol)

I plan to use this post as an archive/inspiration for other tsx guys out there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay so this is how my car looked around the time of purchasing it.

I bought it all stock from a dealer in virginia with 131k miles on it. If I were to go back in time I probably wouldn't have bought this car because msm is one of the worst Honda colors, the power steering pump shortly went out, there were alot of scuffs, the rear door actuators didn't work, the starter left me stranded once and the car had an old dead battery. I also found out at a later date that the car was rear ended and it didn't show up on the carfax. Underneath the trunk mats there are obvious signs of body work, the bumper is not oem and the left tail light is depo while the rest are stanley.

Throughout the years of ownership I've managed to fix all of the issues I could have but I still have a lot to do. I feel a lot happier about the maintenance and overall condition of the car, although I'm sure you guys are here for my mods then my maintenance.

For around the first 6 months of ownership the car sat and was never driven. On December 15th 2016 the car had only done about 3k miles. Around this time was when I had started to join the tsx facebook groups and browse around and see the world of modding and conversions that I could do this car. I was also starting to build up my contact list of friends who also owned tsx's and where more then willing to give me info on this car and the world that revolves around it.

For my 15th birthday my grandfather bought the collector's edition of gran turismo 5 for me. In the box there was this book called "Gran Turismo Magazine APEX" in this book there was around 70-100 pages of detailed images and descriptions of cars , the way they worked and how to tune them. I spent most of my middle school days reading this book and absorbing all the info I could about cars.

Thought this build thread you'll notice I reference my dad a lot. He's been building hondas since before I was born and throughout that time has made a lot of friends and contacts that are clutch when putting together a car.

That's about it for the backstory on me and the car, now for the actual build

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Bryan, I like your profile pic, but it doesn't seem like the ones in the thread are working! Which dealership in Virginia did you get you car from? I got my tsx in 2015 for college as well. I got it at 97k and im at 120k now and had similar problems like what you mentioned. I think with enough dedication to get problems solved quickly and care to keep the car at proper function the tsx will treat you very good for years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Bryan, I like your profile pic, but it doesn't seem like the ones in the thread are working! Which dealership in Virginia did you get you car from? I got my tsx in 2015 for college as well. I got it at 97k and im at 120k now and had similar problems like what you mentioned. I think with enough dedication to get problems solved quickly and care to keep the car at proper function the tsx will treat you very good for years.

I actually can't remember where I bought my car from, somewhere in northern virginia though as I live in Maryland. I also think I fixed the picture problem.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright so I'm finally getting around to putting together this build thread.

So when I first got the car I was 15 and couldn't really afford to do any mods to the car. So from around December 2015 to October 2016 I didn't drive or do anything to the car besides convert the interior lights to LED. During that time span I spent alot of time researching the ins and outs of the top mods to do to this chassis. I decided that I wanted to do the full JDM honda conversion to my car over time.

The first steps I took was to buy a jdm 2004/2005 honda grill on ebay, I believe it was one of the jdm importers in san deigo for $130 shipped. After getting it in the mail and test fitting it I came into the infamous problem of the gap caused by the differences in usdm and jdm bumper.
. if anyone is reading this, to help elimiate the gap just start mounting the grill from the center of the bumper not the upper edges. Not knowing this at the time I just decided to take the grill off for the time being while I tried to figure out how to eliminate the gap.

A coupe days later one of my dads friends who owns a jdm importing place called him up and said they were parting out an 04/05 jdm front end and asked if we wanted anything. I instantly asked about the headlights and we ended up going and picking up the pair for $200

These at the time were my favorite part of the car, the amber corners on the stock tsx lights didn't really flow with the color of my car. Since these have a clear corner they flow with the car so much better in my opinion. These are plug and play with the 04/05 tsx, the only thing is that they projectors are RHD instead of LHD. Not the hardest conversion to do but takes some time and patience both of which I had none of lol.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Circa October 2016- My dad was happy that I was showing great interest into getting into cars, He allowed me to sell off some of the rare crx parts he had been hoarding over the years to help fund some of my future car ventures. After some of the stuff sold I started buying things to help freshen up my car: ikon motorsports aspec lip, rock auto brake pads, drilled and slotted rotors, and milestar 225/40 tires.

One of my dads coworkers had a 9th gen HFP civic si and ended up trading it in with stock wheels, he decided to sell me his oem hfp 18s with bad tires for $150. They were curbed up but weren't bent and it was a great opportunity to get off stock wheels so I couldn't complain.

When I were we at my local tire shop getting the tires put on the hfp wheels I saw these sitting in the corner
These were one of my dream wheels at the time and I ended up buying them from the owner for $400.

I got home and instantly tried on both sets:

Unfortunately unless I got 15mm spacers for the DC5 wheels they weren't gonna have fitment that I was happy with, so I decided to run the hfp wheels. I threw the DC5 wheels on craigslist and they sold for $600 after a couple days.

My neighbor came over and told me that if I wanted to get rid of the gap on my front grill he could build me a piece of plastic to eliminate it. I jumped at the offer and it came out pretty good.

Once I got the grill back I had ordered the $8 accord badge and $12 odyssey badge from ebay and converted the rear end from Acura -> Honda

After all of the recent progress I had made heres how the car sat for the next 6 months

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The JDM headlights look so much better. I never really cared to do the upgrade until I bought my clip and decided to throw them on. Still need to swap my LHD projectors.
Yeah they're one of the top early mods to do to this chassis, I have a how to video recorded when I did my LHD conversion I need to upload sometime soon. The process is alot less daunting then one would think.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Circa March 2017- After saving my pennies over the winter I decided that it was time for some changes.

I has went on vacation to Trinidad and Tobago to visit my family over the winter, while I was there I went to the various car scraping places then are ended up buying a complete CL7 steering column for $50. I ended up stuffing the steering wheel and airbag in my suitcase and brought it back here to swap out my acura airbag

I saw some people running the oem spoiler and decided that it would be a good addition to my car, ordered the rep one off ebay and dropped it off to paint as soon as I got it

unfortunately I didn't have the ability to drop my car off at the body shop to get the color matched so thats why it looks so off.

After learning the trick on how to properly mount the jdm front grill in the usdm front bumper and I picked up another grill locally for $100

At the time I had gotten bored of the hfp wheels and decided to order a set of oem 2015 accord sports
swapped over the tires from the hfp wheels and sold them for about $250 for just the wheels. These wheels fit the car so much better imo then the hfps but I just wish they weren't so damn heavy.

A little while later my dad ended up picking up this 08 tl type s aspec 6spd and I fell completely in love with it
The clutch felt amazing and it was so much faster than my tsx for sure. I will for sure try to own one of these for myself in the future

I was pretty happy with the car for a couple months so here are some pics I took before changing anything

·
Registered
28 Posts
Keep this up man, it looks good. My dad sold me his tsx with a little over 200k miles on it. I'm also currently in college and it's sitting at around 312k miles right now. Still runs strong. You're doing good work, and I enjoyed watching this coming along. I need to make a build thread also, but I'm also not as good, nor have the resources that you do. I mainly have google, ebay, and amazon. Lol.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep this up man, it looks good. My dad sold me his tsx with a little over 200k miles on it. I'm also currently in college and it's sitting at around 312k miles right now. Still runs strong. You're doing good work, and I enjoyed watching this coming along. I need to make a build thread also, but I'm also not as good, nor have the resources that you do. I mainly have google, ebay, and amazon. Lol.
thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
My humble opinion, the wheels you went with look better on your TSX than the white ones. They just fit the "look" of the car better.

I know you could have had the white wheels repainted, but why bother when you had those wheels?

Looks good!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My humble opinion, the wheels you went with look better on your TSX than the white ones. They just fit the "look" of the car better.

I know you could have had the white wheels repainted, but why bother when you had those wheels?

Looks good!
Thanks! I originally wanted to buy an rsx before I got my car and thats caused me to fall in love with the type r wheels. I agree the white doesn't really flow with my car, I'd love to own the gunmetal CL7 version in the future given the chance though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Circa June-August 2017- At this time I had just finished my junior year of high school and I was on summer break, this led to me having a lot of free time and some spare cash to spend on my car. I just found out about my local junkyards and started visiting them quite often and this lead me to start to reselling the various compatible/desirable accord parts to fellow TSX owners. I decided that I should open a TSX specific instagram page dedicated to selling all of the parts I got instead of clogging up my personal page. CL9PARTSFORSALE started as a result of this and has been going strong ever since.

The first things I found out were desirable was the Accord coilpack cover and accord intake manifold cover

In my opinion the black covers look so much better then the silver ones that come with our cars. Along with that the stock coilpack cover has an acura badge on it and replacing that is one more step in the full accord conversion

The next thing I did was order a ikonmotorsports rear aspec lip to match the front one I had, and after spending $200 on the lip and $100 to paint it the fitment was complete garbage even after cutting it up to try to mount it.
I ended up peeling it off the car and throwing it away. sigh

Fortunately a couple days later in one of the rsx groups I'm in someone in NJ had just purchased a crashed factory aspec 04 cgp tsx for the engine and was parting out the body. I ended making the 3 hour drive to him and picked up the sideskirts, rear lip and oem window visors for $350.

I immediately dropped the car and the parts off at the paint shop and paid $250 to match the skirts, rear bumper + lip and touch up my front bumper

Apart from a adding a pair of 15mm rear spacers and an 2002 acura TL moonroof visor I was pretty content for mods for a while.

Here's a photoshoot I did of the car after falling in love with how it looked

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Circa September-December 2017
At this time I had started my senior year of high school and this is when most of the mods started to happen on my car.

Unfortunately on my first week of school there was a fight in the parking lot and the guys fell onto my car and left this huge ass dent

it just so happened that the security cameras at my school "weren't looking the right way" when this happened so I didn't know who did it and never found out. sigh

At this time I had started heavily importing parts from Japan and the UK and selling them on my page.

I ended up snagging a honeycomb grill for my car from the hauls of parts I got

If anyone is apart of the tsx facebook scene you should know of tsx obsession and the guys behind it. I ended up snagging this pair of aspec exhaust tips for my car from Mike and they suit the car perfectly

After getting tired of burning CD's and listing the the radio all the time I ended up buying a $50 ebay aux kit.

Snagged this set of 04/05 jdm amber corner tail lights but ended up selling them after finding out how gorgeous the 06/08 jdm lights are

As I'm writing this post this is still my favorite picture of my car to this date, if anyone knows me they'll know I post it alot

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Circa December 2017 - January 2018
At this point in time I had made alot of money reselling parts and saving up from doing odd jobs here and there around my town. This lead to me having some money burning through my pocket.

Even though I loved my accord sports they shook at 60mph and were extremely heavy so I had an interest in switching up wheel setups again. After searching all of my local places that wheels could be sold at for weeks and weeks only to see junk every day I ended up finding something that caught my eye. This guys was selling a set of Enkei Nt03+m all black in 18x9.5 +40 with shot 245/40 tires. He wanted $700 for them and I thought that was pretty fair for them, when I went to buy them from him I found out he previously had them on his 2007 tsx he recently sold. He liked what I was doing with my car and ended up giving me a pair of megan upper rear camber arms for free since he accidentally ordered 2 when he was putting his car together. They weren't in the best condition but for the price I couldn't complain at least none of them were bent like my current wheels.

those wheels were item one on a checklist of things I wanted to get to throw together a summer setup.

I took full advantage of Heeltoes black friday sale and picked up a set of tein street basis for $400 shipped

Speaking of Black Friday I also ordered a ct icebox intake from thmotorsports for $140 shipped

Through my parts importing I ended up getting this sweet 06/08 ukdm steering wheel and it was a perfect upgrade to my somewhat plain setup I had going on

My parts pile started to look like what other people would consider an entire build lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Circa January - March 2018

One of my dreams for my car was to own a Honda access Modulo Voltage front bumper. Unfortunately owning a $1000+ front bumper with the finances of an 18 year old wouldn't be easy task. With that in mind if anyone is in the facebook tsx scene the name David Wrenn should be one you're very familiar with with. Over the past year of modding my car and making a name for myself in the community we became very good friends and when he offered to sell me the modulo setup he was piecing together I had to jump on the deal. That weekend I made the drive down and picked up my dream bumper from him.

dropped it off for paint after a couple weeks of saving and it was ready to go on my car

meanwhile I ended up scoring a set of oem 06/08 ukdm blue corner headlights for a steal and I decided I might as well put them on my car as well as some of other parts I had been hoarding.

So these headlights are NON-HID RHD headlights so I was gonna have to convert them to LHD HID before I could run them on my car. Thanks to the help of my stock headlights for the LHD projectors and David Wrenn for sending me his oem 06/08 jdm hd ballasts and ignitors I was able to fully convert them pretty easily.

Had a run in with a cardboard box on a highway offramp coming home one day

I threw on the bumper, headlights and ct icebox all at once

The icebox made the car feel a lot more responsive and the sound it makes now is intoxicating, 100% recommend the icebox to anyone that asks about what intake they should buy

I noticed that the chrome trim really didn't fit along with the cgp color of the modulo grill, so I ended up looking on ebay and somebody was selling a cgp trim for $40 shipped so I had to pick it up

the facelift made me fall in love with the car all over again

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Circa March-May 2018

Heres some pictures I took after giving my car it's first wash of 2018

So now that I had finished my front end, I decided to move full speed ahead on my suspension/wheel setup. When I installed my 15mm spacer I had to cut my studs to run it, this then limited me to have to run a set of wheels that needed to be spaced out 15mm. In order to run lower offset wheels like my nt03+m I was gonna have to replace my studs or hub.
I ended up buying some new hubs from rock auto and some tuner style black lug nuts as my oem ones probably wouldn't fit and look out of place

One weekend I decided I was gonna install my: teins, new hubs and hopefully my nt03's

So everything went to plan except getting my wheels to fit. I set of coils as high as they could go, which is 2 inches all around, when I put my wheels on they rubbed like CRAZY. These wheels would not be able to fit properly unless I rolled my fenders and stretched a 225/40 on this 9.5 inch wheel.

After alot of debate I decided to just sell them and try to buy something brand new in the specs for my car.

I decided to finally install my jdm steering wheel setup. 2006/2008 jdm airbag, 2003-2007 ebay accord controls, CL7 accord vinyl steering wheel

Ended up scoring a set of stock wheels for super cheap in a trade and decided to take off my bent accord wheels and gain back some mpgs while I save up for my new wheels

Managed to source a set of accord door sills and with that my complete honda conversion is done

Earlier on I said that I sold my 04/05 jdm tail lights because I feel in love with the 06/08 jdm corners. Well I managed to find a set of corners and a LHD rear fog light from russia. These are so clean in person I actually stayed in my basement for an hour just marveling them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Circa June- July 2018

Finally caught up on my build :)

So I'm currently in the process of saving up to do a full repaint on my car. Along with that i'm slowly acquiring parts that will go on while I'm putting the car back together afterwards. One of the things I really wanted to get along with my modulo bumper was a 06/08 mugen wing, David Wrenn asked me if I wanted to buy his and the next day I went down and picked it up from him

the guy she tells you not to worry about vs you

This wing is so sexy omg

Ever since I sold my nt03's I've been researching what wheels in my price range would fit my car perfectly without rolling my fenders. After months of researching I ended up going with a set of enkei RPF-1 17x9 +45 with a 245/40 firestone firehawk indy 500 tire.

they fit the car perfectly with the only rubbing being lightly when I'm turning at high speeds on uneven road, which is almost never something that happens.

So with that I'm fully caught up with everything I've done to my car to this current date.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
8 Participants
thetopgeardog
Acura TSX Forum
TSX Club is the perfect forum for Acura TSX fans and Owners, where you can discuss concerns about reliability or how to upgrade your TSX with mods and accessories.
Full Forum Listing