Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004/TSX/Silver/6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am looking to do a muffler delete on my car but I don’t want it too loud or raspy. Vibrant performance make an ultra quiet resonator that is supposed to get rid of a lot of the rasp. I would probably keep the stock resonator and add this one on as well. I was wondering if any of you guys had any advice on this or if you’ve done this kind of setup before I am still in school and don’t want it to be annoying but I definitely want it to be louder than it is right now.

Advice and clips would be highly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
-
1,646 Posts
Although the 1st gen TSX has a catalytic converter, 2 resonators and 2 mufflers, the exhaust system is not restrictive.
Tons of guys have modded their exhausts over the years. Removed cat, full catback exhaust, minimal mufflers, all with little to no power gain.

The stock TSX exhaust (and air intake) is designed to be as quiet as possible, which is boring.

What I did to our TSX many years ago was to remove both the middle exhaust resonators.
They are both straight thru and not restrictive but removing both will give your TSX some attitude.
Not loud but you can definitely hear it at idle and full throttle. Can barely tell with the windows up.

Deleting the 2 resonators is super easy, Less than $US100 at a muffler shop.
Deleting the 2 rear mufflers is not nearly as easy.
I'm not sure what it would sound like with the rear mufflers deleted but the 2 middle resonators still in place.

I also recommend the DIY air intake mod and drop in K&N filter. Change the original hot air intake into a cold air intake and get rid of the huge useless air intake resonator.

Reactions: K24 yo

·
Registered
2004/TSX/Silver/6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although the 1st gen TSX has a catalytic converter, 2 resonators and 2 mufflers, the exhaust system is not restrictive.
Tons of guys have modded their exhausts over the years. Removed cat, full catback exhaust, minimal mufflers, all with little to no power gain.

The stock TSX exhaust (and air intake) is designed to be as quiet as possible, which is boring.

What I did to our TSX many years ago was to remove both the middle exhaust resonators.
They are both straight thru and not restrictive but removing both will give your TSX some attitude.
Not loud but you can definitely hear it at idle and full throttle. Can barely tell with the windows up.

Deleting the 2 resonators is super easy, Less than $US100 at a muffler shop.
Deleting the 2 rear mufflers is not nearly as easy.
I'm not sure what it would sound like with the rear mufflers deleted but the 2 middle resonators still in place.

I also recommend the DIY air intake mod and drop in K&N filter. Change the original hot air intake into a cold air intake and get rid of the huge useless air intake resonator.
thanks for the advice. That’s weird, mine only has one resonator. When I first bought the car, I am pretty sure the cat was stolen off of it because there is just a test pipe welded on so maybe it also took out one of the resonators as well. I am worried about removing the resonator and it sounding really raspy because most of the clips I’ve seen with the resonator delete are a little too raspy for my liking. That could have been the clips though. If you have any clips can you send them? I’ve already ordered a cai from ingen and it should be here in about 2 weeks so I’m pretty excited about that.

·
-
1,646 Posts
Going by your other posts, you have a 2004 TSX.
You should update your signature with year, trans type and mods on your TSX.

Your 2004 did originally have a cat, 2 ex resonators and 2 rear mufflers.

With no cat, only 1 resonator and stock rear mufflers, it likely sounds the same our TSX with both resonators deleted but with the cat still installed and both stock rear mufflers.

With no cat, is your CEL on? If yes, you should address that before any other mods.

·
Registered
2004/TSX/Silver/6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going by your other posts, you have a 2004 TSX.
You should update your signature with year, trans type and mods on your TSX.

Your 2004 did originally have a cat, 2 ex resonators and 2 rear mufflers.

With no cat, only 1 resonator and stock rear mufflers, it likely sounds the same our TSX with both resonators deleted but with the cat still installed and both stock rear mufflers.

With no cat, is your CEL on? If yes, you should address that before any other mods.
I updated my profile. Thanks! I’d like it to be a little louder than it is right now. I am also looking to get new mufflers but I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg since I am still in highschool.

I see you live in calgary. I live around the Edmonton area. Where is the best place to buy aftermarket parts from? It’s sometimes a pain because most of the websites online are American and to ship it over here is an extra $50-100.

Yes, my check engine light is on and I ran the codes and it is just for the o2 sensors. How would I go about fixing that? Does not having a cat effect my performance or reliability?
Thanks a ton!

·
-
1,646 Posts
While there is currently no emissions inspections in Alberta, that could change at any time and your car would fail.

I recommend to install a cat that will clear up your CEL. The cat is not going to hurt performance.
Then get rid of the resonator. It likely won't be louder but it will be legal and still have exhaust with attitude.

If you decide to leave the cat removed, I would remove the remaining ex resonator.
With just the rear mufflers, no cat and no resonators, it will be louder for minimal bucks.

www.heeltoeautomotive.com in Oregon is excellent for service and parts. But the US dollar hurts us Canadians and pricey and slow shipping to Canada.

Other options are www.amazon.ca and www.jbspowercentre.com based in Edmonton.

Reactions: Litespeed08

·
Registered
2004/TSX/Silver/6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While there is currently no emissions inspections in Alberta, that could change at any time and your car would fail.

I recommend to install a cat that will clear up your CEL. The cat is not going to hurt performance.
Then get rid of the resonator. It likely won't be louder but it will be legal and still have exhaust with attitude.

If you decide to leave the cat removed, I would remove the remaining ex resonator.
With just the rear mufflers, no cat and no resonators, it will be louder for minimal bucks.

www.heeltoeautomotive.com in Oregon is excellent for service and parts. But the US dollar hurts us Canadians and pricey and slow shipping to Canada.

Other options are www.amazon.ca and www.jbspowercentre.com based in Edmonton.
Ok, thanks for your help! I’ll do a little more research but I really appreciate your help. I’ll have to go check out heeltoe auto.

·
Registered
307 Posts
FYI, the deleting of mufflers has a far more greater impact on noise increase as opposed to deleting your resonators. I agree with CalgaryTSX that removing 1 or both resonators will give you a little more attitude as oppsed to removing your mufflers. Removing your mufflers will give you more attitude and NOISE. Depending on what your preferences are the noise may be more obnoxious than you'd like.

When I was tailoring my initial exhaust setup I heard the exhaust with 2.5 in. piping, dual resonators and no mufflers. It was loud and too obnoxious for me. I had magnaflow mufflers installed and they had a lot of drone but that's another story.

·
Registered
2004/TSX/Silver/6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FYI, the deleting of mufflers has a far more greater impact on noise increase as opposed to deleting your resonators. I agree with CalgaryTSX that removing 1 or both resonators will give you a little more attitude as oppsed to removing your mufflers. Removing your mufflers will give you more attitude and NOISE. Depending on what your preferences are the noise may be more obnoxious than you'd like.

When I was tailoring my initial exhaust setup I heard the exhaust with 2.5 in. piping, dual resonators and no mufflers. It was loud and too obnoxious for me. I had magnaflow mufflers installed and they had a lot of drone but that's another story.
Ok. I might just save up for some new mufflers. I really like the vibrant ones they seem to make the car have a lot deeper of a sound than the others.

·
Registered
307 Posts
vibrant doesn't do much in my research. If you want to really quiet it down, check out the ZZP whisper resonators. They make them in stainless 2.5" and 3" with 20" bodies, 3 chambers rather than just the typical straight through/perforated/fiberglass style resonators like magnaflow and vibrant. if you really want it quiet but with flow, you can do a big diesel muffler like a donaldson. I am planning to do a 3" exhaust with the 22" body ZZP, then a smaller ZZP resonator where the smaller 2nd OEM muffler is, and finally a single DBX 3" laminar flow muffler. The ZZP is the only quiet performance 3" exhaust i could find in months of research. not too many guys looking to do a big performance exhaust that's at quiet as possible.

·
Registered
2004/TSX/Silver/6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
vibrant doesn't do much in my research. If you want to really quiet it down, check out the ZZP whisper resonators. They make them in stainless 2.5" and 3" with 20" bodies, 3 chambers rather than just the typical straight through/perforated/fiberglass style resonators like magnaflow and vibrant. if you really want it quiet but with flow, you can do a big diesel muffler like a donaldson. I am planning to do a 3" exhaust with the 22" body ZZP, then a smaller ZZP resonator where the smaller 2nd OEM muffler is, and finally a single DBX 3" laminar flow muffler. The ZZP is the only quiet performance 3" exhaust i could find in months of research. not too many guys looking to do a big performance exhaust that's at quiet as possible.

I’ve never seen that resonator before. I’ll have to do some more research. Thanks!

I am leaning away from deleting the muffler and I am now looking at doing a custom single exit exhaust and upgrading the muffler with a vibrant one. The only reason why I’m doing a single exit is because I’m on a budget and can’t afford to buy two new mufflers.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Same here, single 3" out the passenger side. You should contact marcus at heeltoe about an OEM bumper plug so you don't have a notch in your rear bumper for a nonexistent muffler. Think they're $60-$70.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts