Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's been a very long time since I've been online - priorities in life have shifted and I didn't pay as much attention to my car over the past year as I normally do. What I noticed this spring however has really bothered me. I have a set of Mugen GPs that I got from the CHH clearout a few years ago that have never seen winter, salt or anything besides rain. I clean the wheels every spring, several times in the summer and once before putting them away for the winter. About a month ago, I noticed that one of my rims seems to be flaking/corroding and bare metal is now exposed. I've called Honda and they refuse to do anything because I'm past the 1 year warranty (plus I'm out of country but I'd be willing to drive the wheel to a US dealer if they were willing to help). I've never seen anything like this on any rim that hasn't been exposed to winter - let alone a Mugen/Honda product. It's only one of my wheels and nothing even remotely close is evident on any of the other ones. I feel like my only option is to have the wheels refinished but that's not cheap and I'm concerned that this is going to continue to get worse. I researched online and haven't seen anything like this posted. Does anyone have this type of experience or even heard of it? Any suggestions? I know tons of people picked up these rims and I truly hope I'm not the only one going through this (I'm sure many people out there aren't as careful with their cars as I am). I'm debating on refinishing or just putting the $1k it'll take to refinish into another set of rims..

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
So it's been a very long time since I've been online - priorities in life have shifted and I didn't pay as much attention to my car over the past year as I normally do. What I noticed this spring however has really bothered me. I have a set of Mugen GPs that I got from the CHH clearout a few years ago that have never seen winter, salt or anything besides rain. I clean the wheels every spring, several times in the summer and once before putting them away for the winter. About a month ago, I noticed that one of my rims seems to be flaking/corroding and bare metal is now exposed. I've called Honda and they refuse to do anything because I'm past the 1 year warranty (plus I'm out of country but I'd be willing to drive the wheel to a US dealer if they were willing to help). I've never seen anything like this on any rim that hasn't been exposed to winter - let alone a Mugen/Honda product. It's only one of my wheels and nothing even remotely close is evident on any of the other ones. I feel like my only option is to have the wheels refinished but that's not cheap and I'm concerned that this is going to continue to get worse. I researched online and haven't seen anything like this posted. Does anyone have this type of experience or even heard of it? Any suggestions? I know tons of people picked up these rims and I truly hope I'm not the only one going through this (I'm sure many people out there aren't as careful with their cars as I am). I'm debating on refinishing or just putting the $1k it'll take to refinish into another set of rims..
pics? is it possible something corrosive dripped onto the wheel?

if your other 3 wheels are fine, i'd considering just trying to find 1 gp wheel for sale and keep the corroded one as a full sized spare. it's probably cheaper (but more difficult) to find a single gp wheel and pay for it, but i have seen some people sell them on forums, and just 1 wheel.

just a thought.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
maybe post some pics of the wheel. The GP's I got are doing fine. My guess would be either it was defective or something got on the wheel that you didn't know of.

maybe you can learn how to polish them so you won't spend so much refinishing.

·
Jeff
902 Posts
^ I dont know :[ Some hypotheses:

Maybe the wheels weren't cleaned often enough, allowing brake dust to eat away and corrode the coat

Harsh acidic wheel cleaners

Curb rash or improper handling of wheels chips away at some clear, allowing room for more clear to flake away

Salt damage, but OP said his GPs were never exposed to salt

Wheels were poorly prepped from factory and paint job sucked

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Are you positive it is flaking? Like others have said it might just be something dripped on the wheel and it "looks" like it's rusted.

I've had mine for 3 years. Car is never garaged but never driven in snow. I have no flaking issue whatsoever and I don't think you should unless there were some really harsh chemicals that dripped in that area.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you positive it is flaking? Like others have said it might just be something dripped on the wheel and it "looks" like it's rusted.

I've had mine for 3 years. Car is never garaged but never driven in snow. I have no flaking issue whatsoever and I don't think you should unless there were some really harsh chemicals that dripped in that area.
Yes I'm positive it's flaking. I'm usually very meticulous with my car and would say that it's in 9/10 shape all around. That's why this relatively small detail is getting under my skin.

Here are 2 pics for you guys to see what I'm talking about. These are two different spokes on the same wheel.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Oh man I'm sorry that happened to you. If it's manufacture defect, it's definitely a rare case. It's really hard to put the blame on something right now cause it could be just anything.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Very interesting, it very well could be defect. It certainly doesn't look like clearcoat failure. What kind of wheel cleaners do you use?

Could you get a picture at a different angle without the light?

The damage kind of looks like what happens when you use paint stripper.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only cleaner I've used on these rims is Meguiars gold class car wash soap. I use the same soap that I use on the rest of the vehicle as my rims are generally clean enough to wipe down mildly. The only other solution that would come into contact is potentially tire shine but that is for all 4 wheels so I'm still concerned as to why it would only happen to one wheel. Needless to say I've lost complete interest in these otherwise gorgeous wheels

·
Registered
657 Posts
The only cleaner I've used on these rims is Meguiars gold class car wash soap. I use the same soap that I use on the rest of the vehicle as my rims are generally clean enough to wipe down mildly. The only other solution that would come into contact is potentially tire shine but that is for all 4 wheels so I'm still concerned as to why it would only happen to one wheel. Needless to say I've lost complete interest in these otherwise gorgeous wheels
Where is that wheel located on the car? I recall you having your rear lip resprayed, maybe while it was at the paint shop something got on it and they wiped it down with something?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.