Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be putting my GPs back on in a couple of weeks and I've been considering getting some spacers. I'll be dropped to about 1.5-2 finger (s) gap and do not want to run into rubbing issues or rolling fenders or any other negative issues. Basically, if it can be done simply, I'll go ahead.

I'm looking for suggestions on what kind of spacers to run and if you know of a place to get them. Based on my research 10mm up front and 15mm in the rear is the most common option but will this lead to rubbing or any negative effect on the wheel studs? I've also read that it's suggested to get the same size for front/rear..in that case i'm not sure if 10mm will make a noticeable difference and if 15mm in the front would pose issues with fitment.

I should also clarify that I've got rays lugs that are not open-ended and do not want to purchase a new set.

Thanks for the input everyone.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for posting that link. I did read that thread before but tekneek you mentioned that you were occasionally rubbing..this may be due to the fact that you're at half a finger gap?

You also posted a link to the ebay seller that you suggested using but that link is no longer valid. Do you know the seller you'd recommend or is there a particular brand you'd go with instead? I'm somewhat concerned about the 'ebay' aspect of it.

Thanks

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
thanks for posting that link. I did read that thread before but tekneek you mentioned that you were occasionally rubbing..this may be due to the fact that you're at half a finger gap?

You also posted a link to the ebay seller that you suggested using but that link is no longer valid. Do you know the seller you'd recommend or is there a particular brand you'd go with instead? I'm somewhat concerned about the 'ebay' aspect of it.

Thanks
HUB CENTRIC WHEEL SPACERS ADAPTERS 15MM TSX 2004-2008 - eBay (item 150488921137 end time Apr-01-11 12:22:18 PDT)

^ the exact vendor I bought from. They have 15-25mm i believe. I set my dampening on my buddyclubs to max up front and 12 in the back so I rub rarely. Yes, lower = more rubbing.

I have both the project kics and ebay adapter spacers. Honestly, the only difference I see is that the project kics are more refined-looking. The ebay spacers have worked great for me and they are pretty good for the price. I would have went with all ebay spacers but project kics is the only company that makes 10mm adapter type so I went with those. I was concerned about the "ebay"ness but They have done what they are supposed to up until now.

Just know you will have to cut your OEM studs if you go with adapter types because the mugen GP wheels don't have much if any backspace.

·
Registered
972 Posts

·
5,412 Posts
There is always the extended stud route. I think I'd go that route if I had the chance to do it again. I'd only go adapter spacers if I know that the wheel had enough backspace for the OEM studs to stick out. Cutting stock studs takes effort and you're pretty much stuck with the spacers once you finish.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
im running 18x7.5 +45 .. how much mm do i need to make wheels flush to fenders so it can be like my old setup at 18x8 +40?

·
5,412 Posts
im running 18x7.5 +45 .. how much mm do i need to make wheels flush to fenders so it can be like my old setup at 18x8 +40>
GP's are 18x7.5 +48, not 45.

it appears that 14mm is the magic number. Keep in mind that wheels that are spaced out are differently sized than their non-spacered equivalents. Let me give you an example: lets say you get 14mm spacers on the GP's to get you to the equivalent "flushness" as your old 18x8 +40 setup. At this point, you may think that your setups are EXACTLY the same, but they are not. You have to consider that tires stretch, depending on the width of the wheel.

So you may be able to fit 18x7.5 +30, but not 18x7.5 +50 w/20mm spacer cause the tire sidewall and such will be different, even though your wheels will be at the same "flush" position theoretically. Hope that makes sense.

Wheel Offset Calculator

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah I have to admit, when I read what .::miLan said about grinding down the studs kinda made me lose my interest. I don't want to be 'stuck' with anything. I think I'd like the extended spacers route and prefer the 10mm front and 15mm rear. I just need to ensure that I'm not opening a can of worms.

First I need to find a nice set of extended spacers route in the right size. I then want to ensure that I'm not going to need new lugs or anything new for that matter..just pop on the spacers, the wheels and I'm good to go after an alignment of course.

·
5,412 Posts
yeah I have to admit, when I read what .::miLan said about grinding down the studs kinda made me lose my interest. I don't want to be 'stuck' with anything. I think I'd like the extended spacers route and prefer the 10mm front and 15mm rear. I just need to ensure that I'm not opening a can of worms.

First I need to find a nice set of extended spacers route in the right size. I then want to ensure that I'm not going to need new lugs or anything new for that matter..just pop on the spacers, the wheels and I'm good to go after an alignment of course.
Heres a DIY thread on cutting studs to install spacers.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-wheels/36159-wheel-spacer-installation.html#post535571

If you get extended studs, you will more than likely have to run open-ended lug nuts. I suppose you could get the extended studs and then cut them if they are too long, but that seems like a hassle to me.

so if i decide to get spacers ..then would i have to get long lug nuts ?..
There are 2 types of spacers
1. Adapter type (built in studs)
2. Extended stud type (longer studs)

You have to choose which you want to go for. Re-read some of the stuff posted in this thread and also the link that cYn posted in this thread.

Have you decided what sizes you wanted yet? I was thinking either get:
1. 10mm front, 15mm in the back
2. 15mm all around
3. 15mm up front, 20mm in the back.

Go with #1 if you're low (less than a finger gap), #2 if you don't want to stagger, #3 if you're not low (more than a finger gap)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heres a DIY thread on cutting studs to install spacers.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-wheels/36159-wheel-spacer-installation.html#post535571

If you get extended studs, you will more than likely have to run open-ended lug nuts. I suppose you could get the extended studs and then cut them if they are too long, but that seems like a hassle to me.

There are 2 types of spacers
1. Adapter type (built in studs)
2. Extended stud type (longer studs)

You have to choose which you want to go for. Re-read some of the stuff posted in this thread and also the link that cYn posted in this thread.

Have you decided what sizes you wanted yet? I was thinking either get:
1. 10mm front, 15mm in the back
2. 15mm all around
3. 15mm up front, 20mm in the back.

Go with #1 if you're low (less than a finger gap), #2 if you don't want to stagger, #3 if you're not low (more than a finger gap)
So I'd probably go for extended studs of 10mm front and 15 back or 15 all around. Either way lol I paid $175 for my rays lugs and I'm not really interested in losing money on that as well. Seems like spacers are not happening.

Edit: That DIY doesn't seem too difficult. If I'm up for that..I could purchase the spacers that you linked me to on ebay, grind down my studs and pop the spacers on right? In this case, I could just use the lugs I already have? I'm leaning towards just the 15mm all around since they're hubcentric. It doesn't seem too easy to get 10mm hubcentrics..

Also just want to confirm that if I go this route..OEM lugs work as well? I use them for my winter rims
FYI..thanks for all your help thus far tekneek. + rep

Edit again: It won't let me rep u..apparently I need to spread it around??

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
Hey DJ, I have Ichiba's 10mm spacers with extended lugs and I didn't need open ended nuts. The stock nuts still fit. Also, I have a 15mm adapter type spacer that you can try on if you're interested. That way, you can see if you'd rather go 10mm or 15mm, and if you'd need to grind down your stock studs if you decide to go with 15mm adapters. Just PM me if you want to try them on.

·
5,412 Posts
You will need to grind the oem spacers with 15mm adapters with mugen gp wheels. I guarantee it

1 - 20 of 30 Posts