Newtsxowner!
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have
Hondata Reflash
Injen CAI
UR Pulleys
WR Headers

I want to know what else can I do to my 06 AT to make it go faster what other engine mods are there besides SC or TC that can make that much more of a HP gain? thanks!

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
lightweight wheels with summer tires and lightweight single exhaust. i think you're close to maxing out unless you want to go force induction or rebuild the motor with new internals.

·
-
1,597 Posts
Your automatic transmission is holding your car back.

Building your engine for natural aspirated high rpm power (cams, ported head, short runner intake manifold) would be totally wrong for an auto trans.

That leaves SC or TC as your best options. You will have to go mild since your auto trans won't take it.

I wonder if anyone has ever installed Nitrous Oxide in a TSX?
A small jet would wake up your TSX nicely for quick stoplite to stoplite bursts. Perfect for the TSX high compression engine.
Cheap, easy to install, easy to go back to stock.
Hmmm, how would one control the ignition timing while injecting N2O??

What I would recommend that you start making handling upgrades if you haven't already. A good quality suspension, sway bars, wheels/tires.

I could make a negative comment towards 4 cylinder, automatic transmission, heavy cars but that always gets me negative rep points! :)

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
NA wouldnt necessarily be bad for an AT. It depends where you're trying to get the gains and at which RPM the cams and the setup works best.

Im personally going the NA route for my AT. I've gone for cams that work good for mid-range gains because the car is AT, so higher RPM gains are almost useless, and more importantly, the car is a daily. I've seen dyno results and the gains are pretty much throughout the rev range :)

Time will tell once I have the setup complete :laugh:

·
Registered
324 Posts
The K24A2 isn't really considered "high compression" at 10.5:1 when talking about performance.

I'd suggest an RBC IM and Kelford-179 cams, with Kpro. That along with what you have will really make a difference. Don't consider those or any cams without kpro.

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
Yeah I agree. Mild cams (stage 2 in most cases, although need to look at specs of individual products), I/race H/E, VTC advance, IM possible and most importantly K-pro to tune.

·
Registered
317 Posts
So far I have
Hondata Reflash
Injen CAI
UR Pulleys
WR Headers

I want to know what else can I do to my 06 AT to make it go faster what other engine mods are there besides SC or TC that can make that much more of a HP gain? thanks!
One word....... NOS!!!!!! cheap and good hp gain for that moment of Hp need.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
I probably shouldnt say useless. But in automatic mode, it would be hard to use the power in the higher RPM's unless we use sportshift.

What i shouldve said, is that for me personally, I wouldnt aim for a setup which provides most of its gains post-6000rpm as my car rarely gets to those ranges on daily basis (DD).

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
I probably shouldnt say useless. But in automatic mode, it would be hard to use the power in the higher RPM's unless we use sportshift.

What i shouldve said, is that for me personally, I wouldnt aim for a setup which provides most of its gains post-6000rpm as my car rarely gets to those ranges on daily basis (DD).
so youre saying CAI is useless in an AT?

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Your automatic transmission is holding your car back.

Building your engine for natural aspirated high rpm power (cams, ported head, short runner intake manifold) would be totally wrong for an auto trans.

What I would recommend that you start making handling upgrades if you haven't already. A good quality suspension, sway bars, wheels/tires.

I could make a negative comment towards 4 cylinder, automatic transmission, heavy cars but that always gets me negative rep points! :)
100% agree with this guy. CalgaryTSX always makes these remarks but they never seem obselete. The 6MT is a least half a second faster to 60mph than the automatic. It's lighter by about 100 pounds and is geared more for acceleration.

That being said, the OP should shoot for weight reduction and a suspension setup optimized for performance because not all roads are straight.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts

·
-
1,597 Posts

There are 2 factors with an automatic transmission. The shift points, which you can't change in auto mode, & the torque converter stall speed.

If you build an engine for high rpm power but lose power in the low end, the stock auto trans & torque converter will make the car feel like a complete dog.

eg. If the engine now starts making significant torque at 4000 rpm but your torque converter stall speed is still 2000 rpm, the car will totally bog off the line until you get the engine up to 4000 rpm. This is the point of an aftermarket high stall torque converter.
In this example the stall speed of the torque converter should be at least 4000 rpm to allow the engine to get into it's power band.

Also if the stock shift points in the auto trans are still 3000 rpm but the engine now makes power above 4000 rpm, you can see what will happen.

This is why a naturally aspirated high strung, high rpm engine is not compatible with a stock auto trans. In any vehicle, not just TSX's.
However in a manual trans it's all different since you are in control of the launch rpm & the shift points.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts