Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
HEY EVERYBODY!!!

Y'all have to check this out. It's a butt-kicking video presentation (or commercial?) for the new RL.

And it even works on my Mac (for a change). :rolleyes:

Didn't have time to see the whole thing right now, but I will.

Terrific get, Joker!

·
Registered
94 Posts
is that how the RL is gonna look like?

It looks like the 7th gen. Accords, but with fenderflares, and shaved center taillights lol.

great presentation tho :)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
That's an Accord dude.

Fortunately I can translate for us. The opening titles say "Super Lucky All-Wheel Drive Car! Can you believe it?"

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
jcg878 said:
That's an Accord dude.

Fortunately I can translate for us. The opening titles say "Super Lucky All-Wheel Drive Car! Can you believe it?"
Do you mean the ACCORD has/is gonna have the "super handling AWD"??

And you mean that whole thing is for the Accord, not the RL?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can have my gf translate the whole thing when she gets back from Canada. The article says we'll see an AWD RL here in the Fall.

"TOKYO - April 1, 2004 --- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced the development of a new Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive system, called SH-AWD, that provides cornering performance that responds faithfully to driver input, and outstanding vehicle stability. A world’s first, the SH-AWD system combines front-rear torque distribution control with independently regulated torque distribution to the left and right rear wheels to freely distribute the optimum amount of torque to all four wheels in accordance with driving conditions. The new system will be available this fall in the Acura RL (North America) and the Legend (Japan)."

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Sounds right.

So, what did JCG mean? (He's a reliable dude.)
Does he mean the video shows an Accord even though it's for an RL? :donno:
Don't see why they woulda done that.....

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^ That's my guess, and it very well may be an AWD Accord in the video.
Prototype maybe :confused:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
IMVHO not a great idea, if that's what they did. Because maybe the main thing people are going to be wondering about, and the main thing they'll see, is HOW THE CAR LOOKS!!!!!

And if that's not the car..... :donno:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Below is a translation of the Honda Japan web page about the AWD system. It confirms that it will be in the RL in North America. The translation was done by AltaVista's Babel Fish translation service which provides free translations of web pages. Also, the American Honda Accord in Japan is the Inspire. The link below takes you to the Japanese site and you can see what it looks like.

http://www.honda.co.jp/INSPIRE/cm/index.html

* To table of contents 2004

Four wheel product news
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2004 April 1st
Worldwide first four wheel drive power unrestricted control system "SH - AWD" new development
This fall ƒAƒL��cƒ‰ RL of sale (North America) with legend (Japan) it loads
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for HONDA, adjusting to travelling circumstance with the control of driving force distribution of the front rear wheel of the worldwide beginning and the independence control of rear wheel left and right driving force, by the fact that it distributes the driving force which is optimum to four wheel everything instantaneously unrestrictedly, four wheel drive system "SH-AWD which actualizes the revolving efficiency and high vehicle stability which is faithful to the steering wheel operation of the driver: Super Handling All - Wheel-Drive "is adopted new development, this fall ƒAƒL��cƒ‰ RL of sale (North America) with legend (Japan) from.

"SH-AWD" judges the driving force distribution on optimum front and back left and right from handling of the car of the driver and travelling circumstance, front and back distribution 30 to from 70 70 to 30, has improved the maneuverability of the vehicle rapidly by the fact that rear wheel left and right distribution is utilized even in revolution 100 to from 0 up to 0 to 100 not only in order to run stepless floor control and driving force with "the direct electromagnetic clutch" inside the rear differential.

"SH-AWD", the sensors which inspect the vehicle information of the position of a vessel's helm and side G etc., is formed with ECU and the rear differential. "The direct electromagnetic clutch" inside the rear differential with the worldwide first mechanism which controls the multiple disc clutches high-level with the magnetic force of the electromagnet, monitors the gap between the electromagnet and the magnetic substance with the search coil which is built in, makes the driving force stepless floor control whose always precision is high possible.

When revolving in order the rear wheel outer ring to pass by the locus outside from average locus of the nosewheel, at same rpm the rear wheel outer ring not to overtake the nosewheel, the phenomenon which becomes not be able to transmit driving force because of this efficiently in the rear wheel outer ring occurs. With "SH-AWD", with the change of gear ratio speeds up the rpm of the rear wheel vis-a-vis the nosewheel it builds in the worldwide first speeding up mechanism which to the rear differential, it decreases the driving force transmission loss due to the difference of locus of the front and back wheel when revolving, maneuverability of the vehicle rapidly has improved.

HONDA one of most important important matter of car development has defined "the driving pleasure" of the person who is driven, the manipulated variable of the driver is designated as source in this new drive system, the feedforward control which it estimates controls optimum driving force distribution is adopted, the refreshing impression and the sense of relief which the vehicle revolves faithfully only the steering wheel operation of the driver without should call "super neutral steering feeling", drives are actualized at high dimension.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The car in the video might be the RL prototype after all

The RL prototype features Acura’s new Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive System (SH-AWD) among several other industry-first technologies, according to Acura. The SH-AWD system distributes optimum torque not only between the front and rear wheels but also between the left and right rear wheels. Reports have centered around a 300-hp V6 as the main powerplant.

_

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Hey JCG, you're slipping! =P =P =P =P

:D

But this raises a point: How good is it for the RL to look so much like an Accord?

(My vote: Not very.)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
When I saw it at first looked like a US style Accord with different tails. Then looked at the video again, I still thought the same thing, but now I come to think about it could be the new RL.

:confused:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Joker said:
The car in the video might be the RL prototype after all

_
Too bad the actual car never looks as good as artist's rendentions. Event the TSX looked better when it was rendered. :(

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I thought the video was great, now thinking back a few years I am picturing this sh-awd with rws...(rear wheel steering)...

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
larchmont said:
Hey JCG, you're slipping! =P =P =P =P

:D

But this raises a point: How good is it for the RL to look so much like an Accord?

(My vote: Not very.)
I don't proclaim to be a Honda-insider at all, but that looks just like a USDM Accord to me, with the exception of the taillights (could be it with just the middle red area removed). Look at the interior - just like it. Isn't the JDM Accord available with AWD already?? Maybe they're upgrading it to SH-AWD, and adding it on the RL/Legend as well :confused:

I don't think that's an RL :)

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ferg said:
Looks like a Honda badge on the front to me.
It is, as there is no Acura in Japan. In Japan the Acura RL is the Honda Legend

"Honda Develops World’s First Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive
Available this fall in the Acura RL (North America) and the Legend (Japan)"

·
Registered
332 Posts
Acura, Lexus and Infiniti are all NA-only brands. I think it speaks volumes about our society that H, T and N need separate branding to be accepted as bona-fide lux automakers. Most people I know don't even know who the parent companies for each brand are.

That being said, T is planning on introducing Lexus worldwide.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts