Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys my 2004 TSX is having some issues lately i was hoping someone here can point my in the right direction. So here's what has been going on lately . About a couple off days ago my oil light flash when i made a U-turn . I changed the oil a day after . i was driving one day game to a stop light and didnt notice i was in manual shift and over revved the car in first gear my accident . i know stupid me . after the car still drove fine for a while . but then i noticed a few things like:

my gas pedal is hard to press down
lost power and really slow to accelerate
takes about a minute for tachometer to go to 40mph
car will not let me drive above 40mph
gas mileage is considerably worse
burning smell after driving for extended period of time
no CEL
the VSA light comes on after i reach 30mph : this started after i had to replace my alternator but it never cause a problem

·
Registered
257 Posts
It seems like common sense but I've been seeing multiple posts lately with owners saying they just keep driving when they see the oil light come on. Don't do this! If you ever see your oil light even flicker, get to a safe place and turn the engine off ASAP. Verify there isn't oil gushing out of your engine somewhere, and if there isnt, ADD OIL before continuing to drive! In my experience, one has to be nearly 2 quarts low in this car for the oil pump to start sucking air.

Now back to your problem... many of the symptoms you described seem to point to the car being in its "safe mode" but there is usually a CEL along with VSA light. First thing I would suggest is checking for codes, even if there is no CEL at the moment. After that, check for oil leaks, if there is one it's likely the source of your burning smell. Check oil level, and while you're looking at the oil make sure there are not metal flakes in it. If all is well, disconnect battery to reset ECU and see if the problem persists.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like common sense but I've been seeing multiple posts lately with owners saying they just keep driving when they see the oil light come on. Don't do this! If you ever see your oil light even flicker, get to a safe place and turn the engine off ASAP. Verify there isn't oil gushing out of your engine somewhere, and if there isnt, ADD OIL before continuing to drive! In my experience, one has to be nearly 2 quarts low in this car for the oil pump to start sucking air.

Now back to your problem... many of the symptoms you described seem to point to the car being in its "safe mode" but there is usually a CEL along with VSA light. First thing I would suggest is checking for codes, even if there is no CEL at the moment. After that, check for oil leaks, if there is one it's likely the source of your burning smell. Check oil level, and while you're looking at the oil make sure there are not metal flakes in it. If all is well, disconnect battery to reset ECU and see if the problem persists.
well yeah when it flickered i had only went around the corner to see a friend like literally less than a mile away . i had to drive it back home that same day and just used my grandmas car and changed the oil and the filter the next morning topped everything off and no more light. the oil level is fine . did the eco reset and i was okay to pull out of my drive way i hit the highway to see if it would happen. and i pulled right off . my house is located between 2 freeway exits . about a mile apart so i just drove from one to the next . still hasn't pulled a light . but the "safe mode" symptoms came right back.

i did track the smell to the back passenger side of my engine and read a couple other forums and they lead me to check my Vtec Solenoid gasket and found this here despite the cracks is it just best to replace the whole thing. it looks like its toast

FullSizeRender.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts