Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday, coming home from work, as I pulled in to my drive way, the car shifted in to neutral while it was in D. There were no other signs of trouble nor lights on the dash indicating a problem. I have 220K miles on the car. The following day I got in the car, the VSA light came on, the triangle with an exclamation point in it came on, the "D" starting flashing when it was in park, the engine maintenance light came on, and it would not shift in to any gear. I had it towed to the dealership yesterday. They came back with the news and said it was not worth fixing. The cost to replace the transmission was 4,200 plus, there were a number of leaks in other areas, engine mounts were broken...the bill was in excess of 8,500.00. The bear minimum to fix the car was 6,000. I went online to the dealerships' used car lot and was looking at a possible lease turn in when I found another TSX. I was a bit frustrated because the internet price was higher than the sticker price they had on the car. They didn't tell me that. The gave me a "drive out the door price" with the higher internet price until I mentioned the sticker on the car being lower and asked about the discrepancy. I went there last night when I got off work and there were other odd things about the car-so I have not bought yet. Ultimately, I asked about my TSX sitting lot bound across the parking lot in service and wondered whether it would have any trade in value or not and lower the price on the 2013 TSX. They said no. I ask, should just get my 05'TSX fixed? I still love my TSX. Any thoughts? I can spend 8,000 and fix it, or 20,000 to drive a 2013 TSX. Now, just wondering what do I do with a car I can't drive that is, "not worth fixing, and is worthy anything," according to the dealership. HELP!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Cheapest solution would be to buy a low mileage used (JDM would be safer bet than USDM) engine and transmission. Buy new mounts, bushings, gaskets, whatever you need. Engine+trans would probably cost around $1500. Quality mounts will probably set you back another $500 or more. The rubber mounts can come from just about anywhere, but the 3 primary, fluid filled mounts I highly recommend getting from a trustworthy source.
If you have the tools, space and knowledge, swap it yourself and keep going. If you need a shop to do it for you, labor will set you back some more, but you should still come out well under $6000 for parts+labor as long as you don't let the dealership do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On Friday, coming home from work, as I pulled in to my drive way, the car shifted in to neutral while it was in D. There were no other signs of trouble nor lights on the dash indicating a problem. I have 220K miles on the car. The following day I got in the car, the VSA light came on, the triangle with an exclamation point in it came on, the "D" starting flashing when it was in park, the engine maintenance light came on, and it would not shift in to any gear. I had it towed to the dealership yesterday. They came back with the news and said it was not worth fixing. The cost to replace the transmission was 4,200 plus, there were a number of leaks in other areas, engine mounts were broken...the bill was in excess of 8,500.00. The bear minimum to fix the car was 6,000. I went online to the dealerships' used car lot and was looking at a possible lease turn in when I found another TSX. I was a bit frustrated because the internet price was higher than the sticker price they had on the car. They didn't tell me that. The gave me a "drive out the door price" with the higher internet price until I mentioned the sticker on the car being lower and asked about the discrepancy. I went there last night when I got off work and there were other odd things about the car-so I have not bought yet. Ultimately, I asked about my TSX sitting lot bound across the parking lot in service and wondered whether it would have any trade in value or not and lower the price on the 2013 TSX. They said no. I ask, should just get my 05'TSX fixed? I still love my TSX. Any thoughts? I can spend 8,000 and fix it, or 20,000 to drive a 2013 TSX. Now, just wondering what do I do with a car I can't drive that is, "not worth fixing, and is worthy anything," according to the dealership. HELP!
Don't take it to the dealer to fix go to the junk yard pick up and used tanny and have a little shop install it for you for 300-500 $ tranny shouldn't cost you more then 1000.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts