Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will kind of veer just a tad away from the traditional build thread style and share with you how my journey has been with my TSX.

It's going to be lengthy for sure because there's just so much I would like to share. Each event, picture, etc will have a story behind them. To this day I still remember vividly the first time I bought my car. It is said the memory is linked with feelings and emotions. So needless to say this car has been a roller coaster ride.

Here it goes...

1. The First Exciting Moment of Owning a Brand New Car
2. The Mod That Opened the Door to Everything Else
3. Started From the Bottom
4. Four Hour Grin
5. Luck Spree
6. First Encounter
7. The Beginning of an Addiction
8. Acurafest 2010
9. Honorable Mentions
10. For the Community
11. Dressing the Heart
12. Tuning the Heart
13. The Beginning of the End
14. Never Leave a Comrade Behind
15. The Joy of Drive
16. The End

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was sitting at a computer in Balad, Iraq. It was just a few weeks left, and a wake up, that I get to return home. It was such an exciting moment for me. I looked at my bank account and saw the stacks of money that I saved throughout the year. I was looking at nearly $48K that were all mine to spend.

My first pick of what car to replace my Integra LS was the Mazda RX8. Yea baby! RX8! At that time I really liked the style for some reason. But my fiancee definitely did not like it. She said we're having a baby and an RX8 is not practical. Alright I agreed.

Then I suggested the Civic SI. It's affordable and offers the four door version for easy in and out of the car seat. She still didn't approve. She said it looked too immature-ish. At that point I was frustrated because I didn't know what else to get. She then suggested the Acura TSX.

And so it began....

I looked at the Acura site and immediately fell in love with the A-Spec style TSX. It looked sporty but also extremely luxurious. I said to myself, "I really would like to experience a luxury brand, so what the heck, I'll go with the Acura TSX."

Fast forward and I was at the dealership. It was actually a quick and painless process for me. At that time I didn't realize how lucky I was because I was able to nab a CGP, 6MT, Nav, Ebony, with A-Spec body kit the same day. I think it was meant to be.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember one of the VERY first significant mod was installing the foot well lighting. Being that I have never done any work on a car, and to add the fact that it will also be the first electrical work on anything, had me shaking in my combat boots just thinking about it.

I was not going to pay someone hundreds of dollars just to have something so subtle so I made it a goal to do it myself.

I researched, practiced, researched some more, gathered materials, and just dived right in. All in all it was a great learning experience. Thankfully I didn't mess anything up and every night I was excited as hell to take the car for a drive just to look down at my glowing shoes.

I also made a pretty extensive DIY guide on this. Check it out: http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-car-care/39420-diy-ambient-footwell-lighting.html

·
Registered
292 Posts
Starts like most love stories, doesn't it? Jeez it looked purdy new!

Looking forward to the oncomimg chapters.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Very traditional :). You're falling in line with most of my research lol!
Looking forward to it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't join TSXClub until 2009. I stayed on Acura Zine for most of 07-08 but the activity there was so scarce that it didn't inspire anything. There has to be some kind of correlation because after 2009, my bank account got smaller...

I started small and from the bottom like most. I was still uncomfortable with modding. The thought of messing up a brand new car still got me nervous. So I bought things like the M3 style lip spoiler from eBay, Maven shift knob and CT short shifter from HeelToe.

I think I remembered the short shifter was the first "feel" mod. I've never experienced a short shifter before so it was a huge surprise at how short it was. It felt like I was in the arcade.

When I installed the M3 lip spoiler, I rushed it because it was really the first time I stuck something to a car. It was a pretty bad install. I mean not atrociously bad, but bad to my standards. I didn't know what I was doing and I just winged it. But in the end I liked it because it made my trunk not look so naked.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This chapter in my journey was absolutely one of the best that could ever have happened to me. I was browsing 8thcivic's forum because I had a few buddies who drove 8thcivic. I must say, their forum is ACTIVE. The vendors are plenty and the information is limitless. I can only wish this community could be like that but I understand not as many TSX's were made compared to the 8th gen civics.

But the reason why I was browsing 8thcivic was because I was looking for wheels. I was inspired by a member who had Works Emotion CR Kais. Honestly I wanted to go cheap and get some Drag DR31! To this day I still couldn't believe I wanted to buy replicas. Mainly it's because I didn't want to spend $400 per wheel. At that time I had money but I was still trying to be frugal about it. I remembered posting a thread about it here, bwaha: http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-wheels/38524-need-help-wheels-choice.html

And this was the guy that inspired me to get wheels. He goes by MyK24a. The Works Emotion CR Kai were the first set of wheels that I really liked:

But back to 8thcivic. I was browsing and saw that there was a Mugen GP blowout sale! I was like WTF!?!? I've been drooling over the GP's while looking for wheels but I NEVER would have consider it because they were about $700 each. But the blowout sale were going for $899 for all four! I quickly called up the distributor and the total came out to be about $1100 taxed and shipped. I'm like well damn, I could have bought the Works Emotions at that price. But of course these were Mugen GP's so I was getting a deal. So instead of jumping the gun I did a little research.

Good thing I researched because on eBay there was a set sold for $750! At that point my heart was racing because I knew I had to jump on it or else I'd miss a deal of a lifetime. I was able to find the contact number of the person selling it on eBay and it was a dealership located near Las Vegas. I called them up, they said they had about 8 or 10 in stock. I told them to have one on hold and I will come pick it up at noon the next day. I seriously couldn't sleep that night fearing that someone would buy it all.

The next day I woke up at 7AM, dressed, ate, and head out to a 4 hour drive to Vegas. Yup. Drove to Vegas just for wheels. How lame was I huh? Well, it was a deal of a lifetime. No shame about that.

When I arrived at the dealership, it was a blissful feeling seeing them dolly the set of four Mugen GP's out. Paid a total of $750 like it said and I was on my way back home. Not even halfway to home, I had to stop at a rest stop. Didn't need to pee or anything, but I just wanted to open up the box and see it for myself. I literally had a grin for 4 hours driving home.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
107 Posts
haha im loving this story so far! I agree though, I wish we had more activity.

·
LED Addict
874 Posts
This is better than any movie I've seen and better than any books nice read!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Love the footwell lighting It's something I've been meaning to do but never got round too it, I hate how dark it is on a night inside some subtle lighting makes all the difference.

·
David Path
1,650 Posts
Best book I'm reading. The trill, the excitement, the emotions.......it has it all...

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Luck Spree

I wanted to wait until my OEM tires wear out but it was going to take forever. There were still a lot of rubber left on my original tires. I then said eff it and went out to search for tires to finally mount my Mugen GP's. I decided to buy used tires instead only because I felt bad getting rid of my old tires that were still good. So I posted a thread on Azine asking if anyone had a set of four used tires for sale.

I would never have expected this next event to happen. A great guy named Norman offered me four used Michelin Pilot Sport PS2......for free!!! For those that don't know, these sets go for $1000+ brand new. I just couldn't believe it. Norman said it had about 50% tread left. I drove to his place like a mad man just in case he came to his senses and change his mind on giving it away.

Right after I mounted the GP's I hit up Marcus for a set of Neuspeed Supercup Kit and the Progress rear sway bar. I'll tell ya, the first time I saw my car lowered, I thought it was the most badass thing I've ever seen. I've never driven a lowered car before so seeing my car just sit low to the ground like that was pretty awesome.

I swear I was on a spree with modding. My next mod right after was the JDM headlights. I really dislike the yellow corners and I think that on CGP, the blue corners flow extremely well. When I saw a set in the classifieds, I found out that I was too late because Jay Mayuga already snatched it! I was so bummed. I thought I would have to buy brand new but the price and waiting was a real turn off.

There's just something about my luck. Because the next thing that happens is a member named FreDroRN personally messaging me and asks me if I wanted to buy his set of JDM headlights. He said that he's noticed that I was a serious buyer and wanted to deal directly with me instead of random people. Needless to say I did not hesitate and got a beautiful looking set of headlights.

At this point I felt like my car was pretty complete and that there wasn't much to do. I set out to try my own photoshoot. I was just too excited not to take any pictures.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First Encounter

I've always wanted a proper photoshoot but wasn't good enough to do it on my own.

My luck continued as a great member named Johnny.Ly offered free photoshoots to TSXClub members. I quickly jumped on the offer.

This event was one of my first personal encounter with other TSXClub members. I was really excited for the shoot because another well known member, msmching was going to come along with the shoot.

The whole day shooting was a blast. I got to hang out and talk cars with other members and even learned new things about modding. It was literally from afternoon to night. I never knew how time consuming a photoshoot would be. I think the best part was not the photos but was the bonding with people who share the same interest. To this day I still have that photographic memory of that event.

The link below is the set from that day:

J.Ly Photography - TSX Photoshoot

1 - 20 of 61 Posts