Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.

I'm new to TSXClub.com, but I'd like to tell you a little bit about my car, and include some questions also. I look forward to hearing a reply!

I purchased my TSX on 4/14/04. I absolutely LOVE the TSX, and I think it's one of the most gorgeous four door cars being produced. Mine is Satin Silver Metallic with Ebony interior. It an automatic and does not have the Acura Navigation System.

Now that gas is $2.17 a gallon here for premium, I'm wondering how much I will be paying for gas at the end of summer. But, I'm still saving money. My last car was an Explorer 4 wheel drive. BOY, HAVE I SAVED MONEY! :D It got 13 miles to the gallon. The Acura is supposed to get up to 31 on the highway.

Couple of problems. Tell me what you think, please. First of all, the chime that lets you know that the lights have been left on sounds 'sick'. Instead of the even two-tone, it almost seems to 'blurb' on the second chime.

The next thing is that my car seems to 'whistle' between 48 and 52 miles an hour. I don't know if it's a whistle or a roar or what, but the car is only a month old. It should NOT be doing that.

Another thing, when I'm driving and let off the accelerator to coast, my RPMs seem to just fall, not drop. As soon as you let off the accelerator if you're doing around 35, they'll drop by 800 to 1000. Is this normal?

Finally, when you all drive in multishift mode, do you downshift manually? Sometimes mine seems to do it for me, other times it does not. Also, it's not "bad" for the car to drive it in multishift, is it? After all, the thing is fine tuned to be an optimum level car, so the computer probably knows better about when to shift than I do. What are your opinions?

Hope to hear from you all soon.

Josh

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
congrats on your new TSX and welcome to the club.:wavey:

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Couple of problems. Tell me what you think, please. First of all, the chime that lets you know that the lights have been left on sounds 'sick'. Instead of the even two-tone, it almost seems to 'blurb' on the second chime.

-------I would go to the dealer and check other TSX chime sounds - if it sounds different, get dealer to fix

The next thing is that my car seems to 'whistle' between 48 and 52 miles an hour. I don't know if it's a whistle or a roar or what, but the car is only a month old. It should NOT be doing that.

-------probably has to due with break in, some small pieces of metal scrape inside the pistons to carve out the area (or something like that). This is normal break in. There is special oil in the car that needs to stay in there for 5,000 miles in order to achieve full break in.

Another thing, when I'm driving and let off the accelerator to coast, my RPMs seem to just fall, not drop. As soon as you let off the accelerator if you're doing around 35, they'll drop by 800 to 1000. Is this normal?

-------my guess is this is normal due to the high level of revolutions the car makes. the falling of rpm will probably occur at 4000+rpms, however if you are at a lower rpm say 2500, the dropoff won't be so dramatic...test it out. answer me this, when "doing around 35" are you in 3rd or 4th gear? 3rd should see quicker drop off, but 4th not as much. other people have mentioned this and I guess I haven't noticed it enough to think abnormal, but you will get used to this. could also be due to electronic throttle control (drive by wire)

Finally, when you all drive in multishift mode, do you downshift manually? Sometimes mine seems to do it for me, other times it does not. Also, it's not "bad" for the car to drive it in multishift, is it? After all, the thing is fine tuned to be an optimum level car, so the computer probably knows better about when to shift than I do. What are your opinions?

-------the whole fun is to downshift manually! I Love to downshift into 2nd gear when entering my turns. If I know I'm stopping at red light, then I will just let it downshift automatically, however if you are using it to drive aggressively then you should downshift yourself, especially if you are doing so to accelerate. I don't think they would put the manumatic mode in the car if it would hurt the transmission - just know you have a warranty. Also, there are autoshifts even in the manual mode if you have the gears in too high revs or try to downshift (and making that downshift will cause redline). a very smart transmission...don't worry about damaging it, just find out how to have fun with it.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Welcome Acuradude!

Congrats on your enlightened "conversion process" and TSX acquisition.

I think your chime may either have a faulty connection or may be defective, nbd, should be an EDF (easy dealer fix).

The wind noise sounds unusual and may be a loose or mislaigned molding, possibly along the windshield base. My guess is the area where black plastic panel ends on either side and meets up with the front fenders?

As for the RPM drop, between the engine computer and drive by wire setup, this may be normal in order to better control emissions?

Since I don't have the 5-spd auto, maybe some others with that setup can confirm?

Sounds like mostly small annoyances and nothing to worry about, have the dealer look it over when you get a chance. Meanwhile, enjoy the car and have fun! :mardi:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
First off..welcome to the site :wavey: Nice color combo :thumbsup:

--The next thing is that my car seems to 'whistle' between 48 and 52 miles an hour. I don't know if it's a whistle or a roar or what, but the car is only a month old. It should NOT be doing that.
-----> Where does the whistling come from? Can you pinpoint where it's coming from?

--Another thing, when I'm driving and let off the accelerator to coast, my RPMs seem to just fall, not drop. As soon as you let off the accelerator if you're doing around 35, they'll drop by 800 to 1000. Is this normal?
-----> Sounds like she just upshifted to the next gear...are you in sportshift when this happened?

--Finally, when you all drive in multishift mode, do you downshift manually? Sometimes mine seems to do it for me, other times it does not. Also, it's not "bad" for the car to drive it in multishift, is it? After all, the thing is fine tuned to be an optimum level car, so the computer probably knows better about when to shift than I do. What are your opinions?
-----> I've downshifted myself a few times, but I rarely do it. I mosty just use sport shift for gunning it off the light...but if I'm coming to a stop, I let her downshift herself. However, I have downshifted whild driving so I can pass a car on the hwy. Downshifting shouldn't hurt the car...if downshifting will hurt the car, the computer should know and won't downshift.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Hey, I thought "sick" meant GOOD! :D

Larchmont, who is having trouble keeping up with the English language.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
can you please lose the stupid beavis icon. i see that dam thing on so many posts its getting ridiculous. I think it also subconsciously makes people think you are an idiot.

·
Registered
332 Posts
acuradude said:

See this thread (I wrote the FAQ):
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1756

Specifically to your points:

- the rpm drop is the torque converter locking. Normal.

- see the FAQ for the downshift rules in SS mode

- no, it is not bad to be in SS mode unless your regularly forget to shift and bounce off the rev limit a lot.

- the computer is programmed to optimize shifts for max economy unless the throttle is near full. i.e. it selects the highest available gear. There are times where you may want a lower gear, e.g. heading into a turn, about to accelerate in traffic, using engine braking. The computer doesn't know about upcoming conditions and manually selecting a lower gear means you have the power immediately, rathing than needing to mash the gas pedal to prompt a downshift.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts