Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nightmare continues, but... I may be owning a TSX soon...
Here goes.. I think most of you are familiar with my situation with my 04 TL from the rattle thread.
Long story short, my TL is 2 months old, with just over 2K miles on it. In that two months, it has been back to the dealer 3 (now 4) times for all the rattle, vibration, and noise issues from inside the cabin.
Well the 3rd time I dropped it off, I spoke to the GM and informed him that I had spoken to the BBB, as well as an attorney regarding the Lemon Law. Well needless to say, they had two tech's working on my car around the clock. Keep in mind I have been driving their RSX loaner now going on over a week. They called me yesterday to inform me that my car was done, and to come down to test drive it with one of the tech's who worked on it. At this point I am once again optimistic (for the 3rd time) that all would be fixed.
On the test drive as I am listening for the rattle's etc, I notice the head liner around the moon roof is sagging enough to put your hand into. To my surprise, I ask the tech if he had noticed it (it was not like that when I dropped it off). He said no, but it happens to all the new TL's.. Um, what???
Then I notice the carbon fibber trim on the passenger door has 3 deep scratches in it (also wasn't there before).
So back to the service department we go. Service manager says that the head liner coming down is very common with the new TL, and with two sided tape is an overnight fix. They'll have to order the trim for the door, and call me Monday, or Tuesday. At this point I have had it!!!
GM is offering me $29K to buy my car back. Attorney said that is not nearly enough, as they take into consideration that the car looses $600 per month in value for depreciation.
I have a meeting with the fleet manager, and GM both on Tuesday. They know I want the TSX 6-speed navi, and are trying everything to get me into it. So we will but heads again on Tuesday, and I'll be sure and post how it goes.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
What a pain. You seem to be keeping good humor despite this thing -- to tell the truth, your posts in general are so upbeat that I literally forgot about what was going on with your car!

What a pain. But one thing I don't get: If you're pretty much set on getting rid of the TL, and they're probably going to buy it back from you, what's the reason for them trying to fix it to your satisfaction? Is it that you might keep the TL after all if they can do a good job with it?

And, maybe despite everything, my assumption would be that they COULD take care of everything, although it might take some more time and be even more of a pain. But if you've basically given up on the car, I don't understand why y'all are doing this back-and-forth about the fixes.

Good luck regardless, of course. It's nice that somehow this experience hasn't soured you on Acura.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Yikes, sorry to hear about your story.

I am guessing you bought a non-nav 2004 TL, which costs about $33,000.

If they are offering $29,000 that's $4000 depreciation in 2 months! :eek: Maybe the GM is factoring in the "damaged goods" factor since they know they can't fix it right. :rotz:

Do they have a NBP TSX with Nav on the lot or are they expecting delivery soon? That may be another 2 months wait. Parchment or Ebony interior?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whatchamacallit said:
I am guessing you bought a non-nav 2004 TL, which costs about $33,000.

If they are offering $29,000 that's $4000 depreciation in 2 months! :eek:
Actually I bought the 6-speed w/navi, and with the offer of $29K, we are off $8K..
This is why we have a meeting on Tuesday. I am trying to avoid filing a claim with the BBB, which they too would like to avoid. But for this to happen, we need to at least be in the same neighborhood. As advised by the attorney I consulted with, the magic number for deprecation is $600 per month.
Larch - The reason Acura is going to great lengths to fix my car (knowing what they know), is because if I were to file a claim, and it goes to an arbitrator, they want the car to be problem free.
Even if they were able to fix everything, considering the track record of the car, I am very much leaning towards the TSX (which is a year old, and has most of the kinks already worked out of).
Wish me luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I know this isn't terribly helpful, but FWIW we own both a navi '04 TL and a navi '04 TSX, and well I pretty much prefer the TSX more. Sure the TL has more nicknacks and obviously gobs more power, but the TSX just feels like a better car for some reason, and I do prefer the handling (though not the grip). And personally I think it looks a LOT better.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Altersys said:
I know this isn't terribly helpful, but FWIW we own both a navi '04 TL and a navi '04 TSX, and well I pretty much prefer the TSX more. Sure the TL has more nicknacks and obviously gobs more power, but the TSX just feels like a better car for some reason, and I do prefer the handling (though not the grip). And personally I think it looks a LOT better.
That's pretty much exactly my opinion about the comparison too.

Plus that I'd hardly be able to get the TL into my garage without scraping the sides :D
-- that extra 2" width does it.

I seem to be the only one who talks very much about the extremely unusual proportions of the TL. IMO that's by far the most noteworthy thing about its size -- the proportions of the dimensions, specifically how wide it is in relation to its length. Not counting SUV's, crossovers etc., you'd have trouble finding more than a couple of other cars that come close. And, even though some people have said that this factor should help the handling because it (presumably) reduces body roll, I gotta believe it's a very big part of what makes the car less nimble than we'd like.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
larchmont said:
Any update, Joker?
(I mean about that TL....)
TL has been gone for a couple weeks now Larch.
In fact, the TSX is getting the Mugen suspension put on tomorrow ;)
Write up coming soon :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I knew about the TSX, but I didn't notice if you ever said what was the final story about that other car that you loved so much. :D

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Long story short..
I met with the fleet manager, and the general manager for two long days to negotiate the deal that would take me out of the TL, and into the TSX.
The loss I took on the TL, they somewhat made up for by giving me the TSX at factory invoice.
So I did take a bit of a lose, but at this point, I am happy it is over.
Not to mention, I am really loving my TSX :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts