Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been running through the internet looking for info on aftermarket radio install products for my 2012 tsx se. Since the SE wasnt offered with the Tech package, I casted out to find a solution for my own custom tech package with some kind of carputer/carpc and or an aftermarket radio/navi.
Here are my findings that I would like to share with the community.

RADIO DASH KIT OPTIONS

In short, no one in the USA makes one for us 2nd tsx genners but I was able to find one intended for the Honda Spirior/Europe Accord. Same car basically. Double din.

Wholesale 2 Din Special Car Installation Frame, Dash Kit for Honda Spirior/Europe Accord/ACURA SR9, Double Din

FACTORY REPLACEMENT NAVI OPTIONS

Another option that was created for the Spirior/euro accord.These things replace your factory lcd or info screen. Its basically a computer running windows CE. These are much like the double din touchscreen like alpine and pioneers makes but with more freedom and customization features. They are made overseas (like every electronic device your own). If you dont have the tech package, you will have to relocate the info screen.

HONDA Spirior HD Digital Screen GPS Navi In-dash Car DVD Player ipod BT TV | eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Europ...eo&hash=item2a1c122605&vxp=mtr#ht_9450wt_1110
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-SPIRIOR-RADIO-DVD-GPS-Navigation-Stereo-Headunit-Autoradio-EUROPE-ACCORD-/220963163781?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item33726e4e85&vxp=mtr#ht_11035wt_1110

This was all I could find in my research. Hopefully more options will come up soon. If you guys have anymore info, please post it here.

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey! i am in the market for a tsx and one of the things i was wondering was if i could upgrade from the standard radio to a navigation unit like you are considering. I really want a manual transmission, and like you mentioned, they don't offer the tech package with that transmission for some strange reason.

i am curious if one would be able to install the farenheit source unit into the same location as the info screen and have it piggyback off of the main radio. I currently have an 8th gen accord and this is what I have done (and several other owners). The screen itself appears to be the same in both cars, so it would be a matter of "does it fit" and "can you wire it up correctly".

here is how it looks before in the accord:

and after:

Neither one is my car. My point being though that the screen the f-81 replaces is the same in the tsx, the surrounding shell would be the only difference (and maybe wiring...). This unit is awesome and it added bluetooth, navigation, backup camera, dvd, etc to my non-navi accord. If this unit works in the tsx, it would save me at least $4k.

I have an email to the guy i bought this unit from (he installed it too) hoping to find out if this might fit the tsx. I will let you know what he says.

·
Registered
79 Posts
well my suggestion is out. I heard back from tech support and they said Acura has a different data bus system so it won't work. bummer because it replaced the LCD screen and piggybacked off of the main radio. maybe the unit you found will work for the Acura like this one does for the Honda... we need a guinea pig!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have good news for you. That replacement GPS screen system in the links i posted works great with the 09-12 tsx. I saw it personally last week and its awesome. It even has the temp controls pop up when you use the heating/cooling system so the data bus works. I went with that option needless to say. here is the website i got it from. With shipping and the option backup camera (especially made for the TSX) ran me about $550. It is hands down the best option out now.

http://www.smartauto24.com/honda/honda-accord-dvd-player-w-gps-navigation-system-radio-european

Use coupon code SPECIAL06D.

It is made to work with the TSX so its fully integrated into the stock system including the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, I have submitted some questions to these guys, though I probably won't hear back for a bit due to cny. If I like the answers, I am going to take the plunge and be the guinea pig. With the current 10% discount, it comes out to $560 and it estimates a week shipping time.

If I end up getting this, I will provide a review of the unit once installed.

I am looking at this one though: http://www.smartauto24.com/honda/ho...pirior-car-dvd-player-w-gps-navigation-system

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok, I heard back from smartauto and they directed me to the unit ctr guy linked to above. They said you cannot change the background color (I wanted red since I have an se) and the information displayed on our screen will not display on this unit. I find that odd since it shows them displaying in the picture, so maybe it is a tsx vs spirior issue? I don't know.

There is another unit sold out of Australia that I might ask about too, but I don't like the graphics on it either.

·
Registered
79 Posts
if these are anything like the one I had in my accord, your usual radio buttons are still perfectly functional, including steering wheel buttons. in addition to those buttons, you can use the touchscreen (or a remote, if applicable). same with your temperature controls.

I am unable to get any confirmation from any of the companies for whether these will work in our cars. so, I have taken the leap. I should be receiving the unit in roughly a week.

·
Registered
79 Posts
no updates just yet, as i haven't received the unit. I am expecting fire and doom, that way when it doesn't work, I wont be upset. it will be a fun experiment though :)

Edit: I don't mean to be a big bummer! Haha! I have recently read of an Aussie that has also purchased a similar unit, but no news from him yet. Another tsx'er purchased one, and it failed within a week of installation. That is why I say I expect the worst and hope for the best x-D

·
Registered
79 Posts
I heard from smartauto24, this evening. Apparently, the unit I like does not have English. .. ...

Boooo farkin hooo.

So, i am going to get the darn one I didn't want because maybe - Just maybe - this will all work and I won't care about the UI. Please God let it be colour changer, so I can have red lights instead of Blue! HA!

I should have the unit shortly, I am expecting 3 - 10 days from today, considering they just responded telling me the one i wanted won't work.

I will make my own thread once I receive and install the unit. I ordered the Unit itself plus the rearview camera. I hope I didn't just waste $500 bucks :tomato:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I received notification from DHL that my order will arrive tomorrow. I got impatient though and also ordered from another vendor - different unit. At this point, I am feeling brave and will install each unit for a bit. If they both work properly, I will have one extra.

Edit: if they don't both work, I hope one does!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts