Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a discussion at the other site about how ineffective the OEM cargo net is. Since this site is kind enough to allow pic posts, here's a picture of the storage system in my trunk. The bungees allow me to secure boxes and bags around the perimeter of the trunk, while leaving the centre open for "drop in" cargo. It also allows for better use of the "cheeks" on the sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here it is full. The left side has a couple of collapsable boxes that I deploy to carry stand-up stuff like grocery bags. I've left the right-side vertical bungee off since it would just get in the way of accessing the box.

Attachments

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Great idea..... but for those of us who can't make head or tail of what they're looking at..... OK, so what if there's only one of us -- just for MY benefit :D -- could you say exactly what you did -- like, what those things are, what they're made of, where you get them, how you put them in and hooked them up, and like totally what the heck's going on in there.

Looks awfully simple actually.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lines are regular automotive bungee cord, which is a thick elastic cord knotted to metal hooks on the end. Some people use it for tying down the trunk lid when carrying oversize items. You can find it at most automotive supply stores.

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,741.html

I simply found the right lengths, and tweaked them slighly by tying an additional knot on one end to shorten the length of the cord (between the hooks), to acheive the desired tension. The cords are slightly tight when on the floor, but have enough stretch to get over large boxes, as you can see.

The vertical line is attached to the roof of the trunk, near the decklid speakers. There are mony holes there to hook into. The rest of the cords are hooked into the built-in rings on the trunk floor.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
kiteboy said:
Here it is full. The left side has a couple of collapsable boxes that I deploy to carry stand-up stuff like grocery bags. I've left the right-side vertical bungee off since it would just get in the way of accessing the box.
Way to go Kiteboy!
Nice work, I've done similar with trunk cargo bag and the same collapsable crate! If I get a chance I'll post pix of how I incorporated a paper towel dispenser too. ;)

BTW, I was going to look into if the TL cargo net would work in the TSX?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
kiteboy said:
.....Since this site is kind enough to allow pic posts.....
Yes indeed. :bowdown1:

Hey, kite! That was a helluva clever post "over there" to let people know where to find your pics. BTW it ought to get us some more people.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
hip said:
Way to go Kiteboy!
Nice work, I've done similar with trunk cargo bag and the same collapsable crate! If I get a chance I'll post pix of how I incorporated a paper towel dispenser too. ;)

BTW, I was going to look into if the TL cargo net would work in the TSX?
Cool, I'd like to see the towel dispenser! The roll takes up too much space in my box. I saw someone use a large SUV net folded over and clipped to the trunk rings with carabiners.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: My Trunk Storage System

larchmont said:
Yes indeed. :bowdown1:

Hey, kite! That was a helluva clever post "over there" to let people know where to find your pics. BTW it ought to get us some more people.
Thanks - I'm just waiting to for a mod or admin to see it and comment... :rolleyes:

Oh well, I think I'm justified because they don't host pics, but we'll see what happens.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yes, you gotta figure they'll censor that post, unless they've progressed a lot in these few weeks.

BTW aren't you worried about being banned over there?

G

·
thanks!

Many, many thanks for the photos!! I'm the person who posted the complaint about my tsx net on the other board. Thanks so much for directing me here to see the photos. They're great! Now I just have to try it.

I'd love to see any other photos of how people use their trunk efficiently. I'm most interested in keeping grocery bags upright.

G

·
another question

I've looked again at your photo. What kind of collapsable boxes do you use for groceries? I don't see them. Also, why do you put a vertical bungee onto the trunk lid?

Thanks!1blue1.gif

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Welcome, Amalia -- glad you made it here. Guess you didn't have too much trouble figuring out kite's "secret code." :D

Just to make sure you realize (you probably do) -- they don't like it if you mention this site over there.
However we ARE allowed to mention "the other place" over here. (Although we try not to do it too often.) :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Re: another question

Amalia said:
I've looked again at your photo. What kind of collapsable boxes do you use for groceries? I don't see them. Also, why do you put a vertical bungee onto the trunk lid?
The collapsible boxes are the blue & silver items on the left side of the trunk. They are standing vertically, and there are two of them. Here's a link to a similar product:

http://www.xkms.org/StacksandStacks-29/Collapsible-Crate.htm

The vertical line attaches to the fixed part of the trunk "roof", next to the speakers, which allows the trunk lid to operate normally. I use it to secure things vertically, like those boxes. It also allows me to better utilize the space on the sides of the trunk. You can't see in the picture, but there's a jacket, pair of shoes and a large snow brush stuffed behind the folded boxes, against the side wall of the trunk.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
I went for a more "compartmentalized" look where I ended up with the trunk area sectioned into areas.

Attachments

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
kiteboy said:
Cool, I'd like to see the towel dispenser! The roll takes up too much space in my box. I saw someone use a large SUV net folded over and clipped to the trunk rings with carabiners.
I guess the carabiner idea has already been done?
I used the short, thin bungee with 2 carabiners and clipped them the the trunk torsion springs.

Attachments

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Here's a close up of the left side.

Attachments

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
And for the right side I clipped it to the adjustable "steps" at the end of the spring rods. This carabiner had a loop with a ring on it so it made it easier to attach.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very clever with the towel holder! What happens when you need to fold the seats down, and get a flat load floor?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
kiteboy said:
Very clever with the towel holder! What happens when you need to fold the seats down, and get a flat load floor?
Good question, the carabiners are very easy to detach and takes only seconds. Of course finding a place for all the other junk takes a lot longer. :grinno:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts