Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Former Owner
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, long time lurker...first time poster. I wanted to share with you guys about my beloved car. It's abbreviated from the orignal post (which is quite a long essay) on my own site, but it still have the core emotion to it.

======

Easter is always a bit of a trying time for my life. While obviously a wonderfully joyful season, Easter as a church musician comes with the added strain of extra rehearsals, additional services to play, and a very long Holy Week. This Easter was trying for a different reason, though, because this Easter was the year I almost died if it weren’t for my TSX giving its life for mine.

A Cold April Morning

Like many tragic and terrifying stories, this Sunday started with a cold and rainy setup. Texas is well known for its April storms which bring not only hail, lightning, and tornadoes, but also torrential rains that have a funny way of causing serial flash flooding all over town, no matter how good the drainage systems may be.[....]

I’m not sure what really happened to be honest. One moment, I’m headed to lead a training session on the equipment for broadcasting the upcoming film festival, the next moment I’m finding myself sliding perpendicular down the road headed straight into the end of a guardrail. The whole event only took mere moments, but there was enough time to know that I was about to have a very violent impact and no amount of driving skill I had was going to save me. I was headed passenger side first into an impact, had I continued to attempt a recovery, I could have easily turned my car around to the opposite direction. I knew I had to let go right then.

I don’t remember much from the time I let go of the wheel and braced myself to the time I came to own the side of the road, which was likely was only a moment. I do remember the bang that occurred. As a combination of the airbags deploying and the sound of metal impacting metal, it was beyond deafening to the point where it felt like I had been hit by a stun grenade. In the daze that followed, I wasn’t quite sure what was going on. I remember thinking to myself that the cabin pressure had equalized with the outside and I could hear the rain and cars going by. Obviously the window was destroyed, but I wasn’t quite sure why though at the time. All I remember thinking was how loud the ringing in my ears was and how dizzy I had become. It wasn’t until some bystanders stopped and looked though the window yelling at me did I start to regain my thoughts.[....]

My car was is my life

There have been more than a handful of stories of how a man has a special bond with his car. Man has always felt a special bond with his mode of transportation, be it a car, a bike, or even a horse. The time a man spends with his vehicle allows him to become one with his vehicle in the same way a man loves his spouse. They become intertwined as one, and like a man’s first love, a man’s first car is a special bond.

Now technically, my TSX was not my first car to drive, but rather it was the first car I owned. The first car I dove was not my own, but rather my parents. It was a nice relationship being a new experience and somewhat exciting moment of personal growth. It’s similar to that first crush we get as young adolescents. The infatuation is nice, but deep down we all know that our young crushes are nothing compared to that first moment you meet someone truly special.

That was the feeling I had with my TSX. Like that first time you meet the girl that just blows your mind away, I knew that this particular TSX was destined to be my car from the moment I sat in for that initial test drive. At the time, I’d already driving a number of other cars, including other TSX’s from other dealerships, but none gave me that initial rush that I had when I sat in this car. There was something special about this one that I couldn’t describe. The closest I could describe it is a pure joy that I never had with any of the other cars I had before.

I ended up leaving the dealer owning that car that day. There was no question this was the one I was meant to be with. It’s a connection to one’s vehicle romanticized by film and literature for a centuries.

My TSX and I spent a lot of time together over the years. As I embarked on the next chapter of my life after graduate school, my TSX stayed with me though the hard times of finding my way in life though the good times I spent with those I cared about. I knew everything about my car, and I could feel every little piece of feedback it gave me as if we were one being together.

Things weren’t always perfect between my car and I. Things would break and need to be fixed, and I would get frustrated at my car’s temperament in terms of maintenance costs sometimes. As the gas prices went up, so did my growing anxiety if I could even afford to keep such a hungry car when I drove nearly 20,000 miles a year.

But like human relationships, true love endures though all these difficulties. It wasn’t the smoothest of rides, but it was my ride. It always got me where I needed to go when I needed to be there. I knew every single sway, every single quirk, every single noise on this car. From the way it glistened in the sun after a fresh wash to the way it growled as I overtook a truck, this car was the most fun I had on any given day. This car always stood by me, and I stood by it. I knew this car better than I even knew myself in a way.

It was a long rainy haul back home that afternoon. I had plenty of time to think in the truck as we transported the remains of my car back home over the next hour. My thoughts were filled with sadness in a way I’ve not felt in a long time. It’s a sadness one could only describe as…loss.

I walked away from that crash without a scratch, a testament to the build quality of the TSX. Later one in the shop yard, I could see how violent the incident was. The whole passenger side of the car was completely demolished as it hit the rail and slid along it. I hit the end of the rail completely perpendicular to it, causing the maximum amount of damage it could have been. The impact ripped off the door panel on the front passenger door, leaving the side impact beam sharply dented inward several inches, permanently fusing the door in place. Had I hit the rail on the driver side, or head on, or even a few inches forward or closer to the center of the car, I might not even be writing this today.[....]

On the long ride back, I didn’t think, “oh I could have been hurt”, or “oh what am I going to do now about driving for business”. Rather, I thought to myself about how, after a 90,712 mile relationship, I just lost my best friend who gave its life protecting me one last time.

Aftermath

[....]

A car is an object that you own, and it’s hard to think that one might develop a type of irreplaceable friendship with an inanimate object, but a car is not exactly inanimate. It’s truly a living, breathing being, though made of steel and aluminum. While you technically can do such, a car not something you can just simply go to the store and replace. My 2006 TSX was one of a million, but to me, it was one in a million.

I’m not sure if I’d go with a 2nd generation TSX, as I found it lacked something of the 1st generation version when I was test driving it a couple years ago as I contemplated a trade in. Maybe it was just the major design changes that I didn’t favor, or maybe it just lacked the soul that resonated with mine. In reality, I don’t want another car, but rather I want my car.

[....]

The Real Fear

[....]

They say that you haven’t lived until you’re in some type of car crash, where your judgements and priorities get realigned. I have to say that this is probably true in my case, as I’ve had a lot of time in the last couple weeks to contemplate and reevaluate how things happen in my world. After all this, I have to say I’m going to take this experience as a wake up call that we are on this planet only but a short time, and you never know when you might run out of time.

======

If you actually got though all of that, thanks for reading! It's been an emotional time, but in the end, I'm still here to make the post so for that, I can be thankful. Not sure what I'll get next, as the ILX is just around the corner, which marks a closer return to the old Integra series we all love.

For the full uncut article, feel free to check it out on my website here.

·
LED Addict
874 Posts
Holly sh*t. RIP tsx, but i am glad you are okay!

·
Registered
289 Posts
That was a great read. RIP to your beloved TSX. My first TSX shared the same fate, and luckily protected me and my girlfriend from an SUV traveling 35+, T-boned smack center on the passenger side.

I later went on to get an 07 TSX. Like you, there's just something about this car :)

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
...I'm speechless...

That was the most beautiful piece of literature I have ever had the pleasure of reading on this forum. So much passion and description.

Glad that you were okay and god bless

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
wow that was an awesome read...

my tsx (same color as yours) isn't my first car. My 1st car, which I too had a love/hate relationship, also suffered a similar fate, between wet roads and someone running a stop sign.

Let me tell you, to this day, I feel like the car took its life for me. Mine was a front driver side head on it, yet I walked away without a SINGLE scratch. Roof flexed, dash came in, airbags popped...and nothing to me. Not even back pains.

I know/understand the bond, I for a long time felt like because of me, the car was destroyed. I honestly do not feel a connection to my tsx as I did to that one.

But in the end, its just a car.

Good luck with your future endeavors, be safe and I guess its safe to say, thank God/Allah/Budda/whoever you believe in for being on this earth another day.

Also, as others have said, great writing!

·
pedal damn it
2,901 Posts
:mecry:

My two previous cars gave their life's for me. Both Integras. Very structurally sound vehicles. For me it was a no brainer to stick with Acura when i chose the TSX as my next car.

·
Controlling Destiny
334 Posts
Great read, and definitely glad that you're okay.

So what exactly happened?

I realize that the accident was caused by the inclement weather. Did you hydroplane? What was the condition of your tires before the accident? Were they summer/winter/all-weather? Accidently turn the steering wheel a little too much and lose control that way? Do you remember hitting a standing patch of water?

It appears that you were on a freeway. What was your speed?

Sorry for all the questions, but the best thing you can take from an event like this is experience and knowledge. And sharing that information can certainly help others.

Again, glad you're okay.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts