Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, first off let me say that my new TSX is definitely not a P.O.S. in the overall sense. However, it has, at only 3000 miles, developed a few annoying tendencies that have me questioning my purchase. First off is the rattles... within the first 2 weeks it developed irritating rattles emanating from the rear door handles. I took these to a dealer, who fixed them temporarily. After 2 days the rattles returned, bringing with them two much more irritating, louder, and more mysterious rattles coming from the trunk lid and the roof near the top of the passenger's side windshield. Now, I surrendered to the fact that the '97 Sebring LX with 120,000 miles that I used to drive would have some rattles, but this is unacceptable from a $30,000 Acura...and this thing rattles much more than the Sebring did when I bought it used in '99 with 20k miles on it.

Secondly, the right front speaker sounds like it has blown already. Even though I am a musician and have a tendency to listen to my stereo more loudly than most, it is not as though I am driving around with it up to 40 all of the time. Thus, it perplexes me when the woofer develops a fuzzing sound when having low frequencies pushed through it.

Granted, the car runs, drives, and looks great, but these little annoyances may be enough for me to trade it in on the new 3-Series when it comes out late this summer. Any thoughts?

·
www.clubrsx.com
48 Posts
wow iam sorry man. well stick with it. the tsx is a great car iam sure youll get all these problems out of the way and have many years of trouble free tsx owning. best of luck

·
Registered
249 Posts
rjmst80 said:
Okay, first off let me say that my new TSX is definitely not a P.O.S. in the overall sense. However, it has, at only 3000 miles, developed a few annoying tendencies that have me questioning my purchase. First off is the rattles... within the first 2 weeks it developed irritating rattles emanating from the rear door handles. I took these to a dealer, who fixed them temporarily. After 2 days the rattles returned, bringing with them two much more irritating, louder, and more mysterious rattles coming from the trunk lid and the roof near the top of the passenger's side windshield. Now, I surrendered to the fact that the '97 Sebring LX with 120,000 miles that I used to drive would have some rattles, but this is unacceptable from a $30,000 Acura...and this thing rattles much more than the Sebring did when I bought it used in '99 with 20k miles on it.

Secondly, the right front speaker sounds like it has blown already. Even though I am a musician and have a tendency to listen to my stereo more loudly than most, it is not as though I am driving around with it up to 40 all of the time. Thus, it perplexes me when the woofer develops a fuzzing sound when having low frequencies pushed through it.

Granted, the car runs, drives, and looks great, but these little annoyances may be enough for me to trade it in on the new 3-Series when it comes out late this summer. Any thoughts?
hey i haf the same problems too!!! :bs: but i always 4get to bring it back to the dealer... since the noise comes and goes... pt quickly... but ya it kinda sux!!! try bringing it back to dealer... n complain... but TSX is a great car... so no worries!!! :ben:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
My TSX was a nightmare back in the Summer of 2003. Rattles rattles everywhere to the extent that it was sometimes very irritating. The dash and front driverside door would rattle, and I took it to the dealer to fix it and the dash rattle would come back after I drove it away from the dealer...argh!:mad:

Then the rear passenger right side window would get stuck in down position and won't go back up (happened twice) Apparently, Acura didn't fix it the first time around and cut the wire so I wouldn't notice until I rolled down that back window. They then had to rewire it again and since then the rear window will go up and down no prob. Also, my 6 disc CD changer malfunctioned and CDs got stuck and it ruined two of my CDs. Those were a few problems I had with my car.

The TSX isn't the greatest new car I owned, but its nice looking.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
Both of the problems you described are fixed with TSB's. Take your car to the dealer again and make sure they fix it according to those TSB's

And how is a car a piece of shit because of rattles?? Be thankful its not a GM...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My girlfriend has a GM---a Pontiac Grand Am GT. While it doesn't drive as well as the TSX, it sure doesn't have the rattles the TSX does, neither does my friend's Hyundia Sonata or pretty much any other car I have ever been in before.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't get any of you guys. My 04 TSX with 12k miles on it has NO rattles and hasn't had any since day one. It's the quietest car I've ever owned! My impressions have been that this car is built very solidly.

·
Hondatafied
134 Posts
Hah, BMW has just as annoying if not worse problems. My co-worker's 04 330ci ZHP already had a check engine warning light and his window seals have fallen down 2x with only 8k miles.

Yes rattles are irritating but overall I love this car. No other problems here with an 04 tsx with 19k on it.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
rjmst80 said:
My girlfriend has a GM---a Pontiac Grand Am GT. While it doesn't drive as well as the TSX, it sure doesn't have the rattles the TSX does, neither does my friend's Hyundia Sonata or pretty much any other car I have ever been in before.
Like I said, the TSB's WILL FIX THE RATTLES.

Grand Am GT huh?
Recall for Suspension failure
Tranny Issues:
-INCORRECT TRANSMISSION SHIFTS, POOR ENGINE PERFORMANCE, HARSH 1-2 UPSHIFTS, SLIPS 1ST AND REVERSE, TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH (TCC) STUCK OFF / ON, DTC P0730/P0756/P0757/P0741/P0742 - 4T65E - REVISED
-NO REVERSE, SECOND GEAR OR FOURTH GEAR - 4L60/65-E - REVISED
-SQUEAKING NOISE IN FRONT END ON TURNS - REVISED

Shall I go on? A rattle that can be fixed is nothing...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh MY ~~~ !

I have just driven my TSX for about 2 weeks. I noticed:
1) rattling noise from front dash board when going on street man-holes,
2) "noise" from front under hood. Couldn't describe in detail now, 'cos I only heard it twice and masked by the music I was playing.

Nonetheless, joerockt has a point. But how much is the acceptable level for a car of this price, with Honda and general perception of quality from a Japanese car. Afterall, buying a car is a completely random event that depends on luck!

From you guys' feedbacks, I am pretty sure the dealerships must be well aware of these problems.

By the way, since I am quite new, could somebody be kind enough to explain to me what TSB means?

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
Acuran said:
By the way, since I am quite new, could somebody be kind enough to explain to me what TSB means?
Technical Service Bulletin. Basically, as people complain about a specific problem, a TSB is eventually generated to address that problem. The dealers can look up a TSB for the problem you have, and if your symptoms match the TSB's, they will have step-by-step instructions on how to correct the issue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
rjmst80 said:
DRIVE a hyundia fora week, you will keep the TSX

·
Registered
97 Posts
Euro.R said:
Hah, BMW has just as annoying if not worse problems. My co-worker's 04 330ci ZHP already had a check engine warning light and his window seals have fallen down 2x with only 8k miles.

Yes rattles are irritating but overall I love this car. No other problems here with an 04 tsx with 19k on it.
HAD 4 BMW....AND WILL NEVER HAVE ANOTHER......... :slap:

·
gas-aholic
208 Posts
the new 06 BMW 3 is already out. saw one on the streets the other day. looked QUITE NICE. thought it wasn't that good in the magazines...but in person it's quite a hottie.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Euro.R said:

Take it from me, I got rid of my 3-series (2001, only 4 years old) because of the bullshit from BMW. First thing is first, yeah it might be an awesome ride in the BMW, but you pay in other ways. First off, every little thing you could think about goes wrong, I had my window seals completely off and repaired time after time after time, to no end. I've had check engine lights come on over and over again, and yet they can't find anything wrong. But will still charge you to reset the comp, because guess what, unless there is a problem found, BMW won't cover the charges to reset (at least where I live in NY). And there is a serious problem occuring with the 3-series, where the VANOS unit goes (controls your valve timing, etc.) that costs us owners $3000 plus to get fixed because BMW won't cover it under warranty, won't re-call it, and try BMW Customer Relations (who are worth nothing as it is) and they tell you sorry Sir, theres nothing we can do but thank you for being a BMW customer. I'd never get a bimmer again. Haha, sorry guys, I guess I just went on running my mouth just now. But it did kind of feel good!!! Haha.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
rjmst80 said:
Yeah, I even belong to BMWCCA and I think if you plan to trade an Acura on a BMW because it's more reliable you're dreamin'!

There are a number of reasons that I might trade my TSX on an '06 325xiT but BMW reliability is nowhere on that list!

·
The Bay State
931 Posts
bob shiftright said:
Yeah, I even belong to BMWCCA and I think if you plan to trade an Acura on a BMW because it's more reliable you're dreamin'!

There are a number of reasons that I might trade my TSX on an '06 325xiT but BMW reliability is nowhere on that list!

Too true! I also am a BMWCCA member and was part of the staff for a while in the Boston Chapter. BMW's are great driving cars and lots of fun but they are expensive to maintain. Acura is definately more reliable than BMW, Mercedes or Audi. Also, there is no such thing as a trouble free car. They all give problems. Cars are the enemy! :cool: you dig.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All-in-all, I like the car. I have heard that Bimmers can be nightmares when it comes to reliability. I guess I just expected a bit too much. The problems wouldn't have been nearly as bad hadn't they been exacerbated by a thus-far horrendous dealer service experience that makes me want to retract one of my earlier posts singing the praises of Radley Acura here in NOVA.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
2,330 Posts
yea bimmers r wack..the new 3 is ugly... ionno i never had any problems really... but after my accident, there was a raddle in the front passanger door... but no time to check it out... jes get it checked out.... when they test drive it to see wats wrong... tell them ull drive n point out the problem.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I guess I am lucky then. I have about close to 8K on the odo since I bought it back in Feb of 05 and I have yet to hear any rattling of any sort....maybe because I havn't hit VTEC yet. I seen the new 3, and I don't like it. Hopfully they'll make the coupe ver. look better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts