Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about approximately 1500 miles left off warranty coverage, after that its all on me to take care of my sleeping beauty.

anyway, what do you guys recommend me do? Should I take my car to a shop and have them do a full check all around my car to see if everything is working fine? Or should I do it myself and goto the dealer and complain about a blown cylinder so i can get a free new engine?

ok enough joking around haha, should i take it to the dealership to do a full diagnostics test, or should i take it to a private mechanic to take a look at my car? I have a feeling that if i take it to a dealership, they will be lazy and not check every single thing in the car. help!

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
i doubt stealerships give out free warranty full diagnostic inspections, but i guess it doesnt hurt to ask

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have all the service done on my 06 tsx by a acura dealer I think is excellent, does not try to sell me unneeded service and does not overcharge. I have no desire to do the service myself. Before the warranty expired I had them check out the car. That was when the car before the car was 18 months old (50kmiles). My car now has almost 121K problem free miles. excellent car.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
i went to my local dealer and asked about extended warranty and was quoted $1700 dollars for 3 more years...also the guy explained to me that they will check the car to make sure it is working and everything that has to do with electrical and drivetrain before giving u warranty based on the walk thru... even if you have mods they will not warranty it but will warranty stock items that were untouched . hope this helps

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ thanks guys/gal, i forgot to mention that its an aftermarket extended warranty but ill still give them a call and see if they are willing to do an inspection on my vehicle. hopefully the dealership over here is as good as yours.

EDIT: I just called them and set an appointment on Monday, will update on how it goes. im asking them to check on everything thats covered from the warranty which should be everything. im asking them to check compression/internal/plugs/catback/rotors/pads/everything.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
as far as i recall..the timing chain is essentially maintenance free? Can someone clarify? Or it's due for an inspection at 120k miles? Which is about 192km?

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
as far as i recall..the timing chain is essentially maintenance free? Can someone clarify? Or it's due for an inspection at 120k miles? Which is about 192km?
no it has to be replaced, i dont know the exact number, but k's are notorious for getting chain slack and causing the motor to go boom. its more than likely around the 125 150k mark.

is it better than a belt? thats debatable but i personally think a chain is better

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm in the same boat (dilemma wise)

I'm staying away from them because I'm doing my own maintenance plus I had bad experience.

I can't see them not charging you for a total check-up like a a compression test, etc.

The chain is not the problem, it's mostly the tensionner that would start the mess.
It is spring loaded and it use oil pressure. If oil change were change frequently it would help for longevity.

On a side note, even with a brand new one (on a S2000) you can clearly hear the noise from a noisy tensionner on start up.

I can't see the tensionner not giving cue that it will start to let go.(noise when first start in the morning)

The pads on the side of the chain should be check too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts