Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hope as a very learned online community of car owners, you guys can shed some light on an issue that my friends and i have argued over ever since a friend has installed a NOS kit on his car:

we've all heard rumors that nitrous is supposed to be bad for your car (because of the severe tempature fluxuations). but lately, ive begun to think that perhaps only direct port is bad because it goes directly into the cylinder. my friend has a dry shot connected right after his sensor on his injen intake.

my speculation for this started when he was purging his tank. if you put your hand right next to the purge, you'll get frostbite. if you put it up the windsheild further, itll just be very very cold. so if a N.O. system is not direct port, doesnt the nitrous heat up before it gets to the actual cylinder? and isnt it therefore not as bad?

there's also some rumors that our stock intake manifold can't handle even a 50 shot...should one upgrade before they attempt installing a N.O. system?

what do you guys think?

thanks,
chase

·
Subway Pervert
59 Posts
some cars have plastic intake manifolds. on those cars i wouldn't bother running nitrous.

now for the meat of the answer:

n2o doesn't so much chill the intake, as it saturates the incoming air with oxygen. oxygen is the violent part of air, so having a LOT more of it in your intake means a more violent reaction. this forcing of more oxygen is what qualifies nitrous setups as a small form of forced induction.

how to make it safe: aside from the usual goodies to keep your bottle happy you should run a wet shot. this simply means you're adding fuel along with the nitrous. dry shots don't do this, and are much easier installs because of this. n2o isn't cheap speed-it's cheapER speed. you still need to make sure your timing can be retarded and fuel can be added while you spray. with these measures in place it can be safely added to MOST cars-regardless of make/model.

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
Amoretto said:
i hope as a very learned online community of car owners, you guys can shed some light on an issue that my friends and i have argued over ever since a friend has installed a NOS kit on his car:

we've all heard rumors that nitrous is supposed to be bad for your car (because of the severe tempature fluxuations). but lately, ive begun to think that perhaps only direct port is bad because it goes directly into the cylinder. my friend has a dry shot connected right after his sensor on his injen intake.

my speculation for this started when he was purging his tank. if you put your hand right next to the purge, you'll get frostbite. if you put it up the windsheild further, itll just be very very cold. so if a N.O. system is not direct port, doesnt the nitrous heat up before it gets to the actual cylinder? and isnt it therefore not as bad?

there's also some rumors that our stock intake manifold can't handle even a 50 shot...should one upgrade before they attempt installing a N.O. system?

what do you guys think?

thanks,
chase
1. Nitrous isn’t any more harmful for your engine then any other serious modification. In fact, in some cases its LESS harmful then adding a turbo, supercharger, or building an aggressive all motor set up.
The reason for this is two fold;

A) First of all the nitrous isn’t on ALL the time, unlike the previous mentioned mods. That means your internals are only taking on the added stress for ~15 seconds at a time. 99% of the rest of the time, though it’s running at near stock levels unless you have a lot of other mods done too.

Secondly;

B) The cooling effect that nitrous offers (liquid nitrous oxide is at ~-175*F) HELPS the engine. When it is atomized and sprayed into the engine, it reduces the ultra high temps produced by making the additional power, so it sort of combats its own harmful effects in a way. That is to say an engine making the same amount of extra horse power through nitrous as say... the same engine using a turbo, will be running COOLER then the turbo version. This extends engine life and creates a less stressful environment for the engine's internal components.

2. A direct port nitrous system is the SAFEST method of administering nitrous oxide. There is no chance of the liquid nitrous "pooling" in the intake manifold like it can with dry or wet single foggers. This is when the nitrous gets trapped inside little "pockets" of air created by vortices and eddies inside the intake manifold; it can ignite and cause a backfire in the manifold. This is BAD. If you have a plastic intake manifold it may very well blow up if that happened.

A direct port will spray directly into the intake manifold, eliminating the chance of this happening. It’s also the only way to make sure each cylinder is getting the exact same amount of nitrous and fuel. If you spray into the intake, that distribution isn’t precisely even. The first cylinder usually ends up getting more of the mix then the furthest and so on.

However if you install the fogger the proper distance from the throttle body, use a good quality fogger, and only spray when there is enough vacuum in the intake path to properly atomize and distribute the nitrous/fuel mix, this shouldn’t be a problem. I ran a single fogger wet kit for over a year without any problems. Also, you will want to install the dry single fogger BEFORE the sensor in the intake. The cold nitrous will make the engine think that it’s in a super cold climate and will therefore start to dump a shitload of fuel into the mix, which is what you want with the dry systems.

3. The only reason why your stock intake manifold wouldn’t be able to handle nitrous oxide is if it’s plastic. And even then it would only be a factor if you had a nitrous backfire inside the I.M. it self. And that has already been dealt with in this reply. There should be no need to "upgrade" it in order to run N20.

The TSX has a decent size engine for a 4 cylinder. There is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to run a 50-75 shot of nitrous all day long if it’s installed and used properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts