Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide on whether to get NAV or whether to buy an auto GPS device for over $1000 less that I can take with me wherever I go and switch cars with, take on vacations, etc.. (ie: Garmin). Any wise words of advice? I test drove one with Nav today and of course loved it.

·
oh so so fresh
118 Posts
barry70 said:
I can't decide on whether to get NAV or whether to buy an auto GPS device for over $1000 less that I can take with me wherever I go and switch cars with, take on vacations, etc.. (ie: Garmin). Any wise words of advice? I test drove one with Nav today and of course loved it.

this depends solely on how many cars you have. If you drive the tsx more, which i recommend, then buy the navigation system. I don't know if the Garmin has things like, "find the nearest gas station" or "Find nearest restuarants" basically i suggest that you get the navi. I did, and i love it. I do drive other cars eventually but the whole "taking all the wires and stuff out and switching" is just f'n annoying. Damn thinking about it makes me mad. go with the navi, you'll be happy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Also, you have the dark grey? What interior do you prefer - black or grey? Just curious....

·
Yankee Killer
37 Posts
Go with the stock navigation. It's nice having the stereo and other controls run through the touch screen and voice commands. I have a carbon gray as well with black interior. The black interior in my opinion looks better, although like with a black car, it looks dirtier more often...

·
Left Coast
9 Posts
It's worth the extra $$$ just for the navigation itself... But it is actually much much more than just a navi system... The display screen first of all looks freakin' bad ass!! :drool: (Not to mention that it's also a touch screen.) Also, the screen displays all your audio readouts and controls (XM even lists the artist and song names), it shows your car's fuel information (how many more miles you can go on your tank of gas, your mpg average, how many miles you have gone on your tank, etc), your climate controls, a calendar, a calculator (that's so awesome they tossed that in there :rolleyes: ), and more... But best of all? You can hack your startup screen to your very own custom image!

I'm sure that Garmin's GPSs can store personal addresses too, but there's just something neat about having all your stored addresses right thurr built into your car.

I also have friends with mobile GPS systems who trip out how killer the Acura GPS system really is.

So, that being said... I'm glad that I spent an extra $2k on my car. I'm sure you would too.

Keep us updated on your decision and good luck!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Get it!

Yes it's a toy ... but it's a bloody useful one. Could I live without it - probably ... but I've only had the car a week and I am SOOOO glad I got it. It's awesome - totally convenient. The accuracy of the navigation/directions, the points of interest, etc. ... the "get me home" from ANYWHERE, the voice command ... are all cool of course - but as noted above, it's also totally integrated with the other controls and that rocks too. Hand-held GPS or whatever is just not the same (have one) - the Acura system is part of your car ... and, finally, it sucks when other people have cool options that you don't - I hate that! :rotz:

Oh ya ... think resale as well - big feature for some.

(We should be salespeople.)

·
Dr. Smiley
155 Posts
I am one of those rare TSX owners that decided not to get the factory navigation but the mobile one from the very start. I am quite happy with my Garmin Streetpilot. And it has alot of great features - although I have not tried the factory nav, I know that the big difference is that voice command. (It does have waypoints you can set by the way so that you can store addresses.) The big thing I like about the mobile ones is that you can sit it on the dashboard - you can see the map better that way without really needing to take your eyes off of the road. Then again it can be a real brick in the head if it goes flying from a collision. It's really only $1k and change in difference, but I'm putting that towards other things. :laugh:

·
oh so so fresh
118 Posts
barry70 said:
Thanks. Also, you have the dark grey? What interior do you prefer - black or grey? Just curious....
i did want ebony(black) leather but i ended up going with the quartz(grey). dirt is more noticable on black so beware to have your cleaner in hand.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
congratulations barry ! wise decision. you're gonna love it !
Just be careful, Initially try not to operate the thing while driving

G

·
Yeah i have an '04 tsx with nav and looooove it to death. i can honestly say you make up for the gas if you ever get lost without gps. it basically pays for itself. Might i suggest the 3m clear front end cover and factory rear trunk spoiler as well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Garmin Street Pilot 2610 (Paid $614 from www.gpsnow.com ) which I love. It has voice and visual turn by turn directions, the ability to store addresses (as waypoints) and you can see the nearest restaurants, lodging etc. This is the 4th Garmin that I have had, I have loved each one.

I had factory navigation in my 2003 Dodge Ram, and we have factory navigation on our Honda Odyssey. I love the factory navigation and if I can get it, and can afford it I will get one in my next car. That being said the Garmins are great. They even have a model that has built in XM and a MP3 player for $899.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts