Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, so didn't have a good satellite reception on my navi. The diagnostics showed that the antenna and main unit are fine. Some said that it is the tints' fault and I decided to relocate the navi antenna to the roof, into the same knob where sat radio antenna is placed. Since no one did it before, I decided to make a DIY thread.

So, first of all I had to disconnect the antenna which was connected to the DVD unit in the trunk. Then I needed to get to the antenna. That required taking of the cover of the door-rear window column. There are 3 screws around each speaker which hold it down and 2 others are obscured by the column cover.

See the 2 holes on the pic below? That is where the antenna used to be and the larger hole next to them is where the wiring went.

Time to get the sat radio antenna out. It requires removing the rear ceiling light by taking out 2 screws which are covered by the plastic cover. The ceiling cover is held by 2 clips at the very back. Just pull it down and they will led go. There is no real need to take down the entire ceiling cover. Say hello to the 17mm wife of the bolt that holds the intake resonator. ( they are not same size, but both are pain to unscrew.)

This is how the wires are attached to the ceiling itself.

Note where the antenna's wire connected to the one from stereo right above the airbag. I disconnected them.

Pull the antenna out with its wires.

Here they are. The small one is navi antenna and the large one is the sat radio antenna.

Taking them apart is a pretty straight forward task. A few screws here and there.

Sat nav antenna

CUT the module of the radio antenna off and do the same to the module of the sat nav antenna, but leave about 2-4 inches for the module.

Take the small plastic platform out of the antenna's base and use the holes to tie the sat nav antenna module. Also make sure that the wires inner wire is not connected to the outer "wrapping" wire.

I used an old telephone wire to extend the distance of the antenna from the DVD unit.

Time to put the top cover on.

I present to you the extended version of the antenna.

Let the ceiling cover and column cover hide the wires as it was with the radio antenna. Then lead the wire down into the trunk.

Done.

RESULTS: Well, i have only been driving this morning, but the car doesn't detect any more satellites :( I checked the system again and it shows that the antenna is OK. I was also able to catch the signal of 1 satellite yesterday. That means that all the wires are fine and tint never had anything to do with all this. I guess I just need a new antenna as this one was not functioning properly from the beginning. :tear:

PS: English is not my native language, so if you are confused about any part, feel free to ask.

·
it's a lifestyle
538 Posts
Wow. I'm astonished.

First of all, you NEVER cut the GPS antenna wire, you'll completely mess up the resistance and only get an even worse signal than before (even if it were in the same location).

Secondly, unless you left out some pictures (I highly doubt it) your wiring job isn't even PAR, maybe for a home speaker system but when you're working with electronics designed to operate within a certain frequency/resistance you really need to be an expert when modifying the wiring.

What you should've done is disconnect the GPS antenna from the GPS unit (from what I recall, the connectors are small) and ran it through the roof from the outside, this will alleviate you from having to cut the wires. From there you can work with it to fit the old housing as much as you'd like as long as you left the board and wires alone.

Buy a new GPS antenna (they're fairly cheap), and try this again. I've had GPS antennas in the car before but I've always mounted them in the front windshield defog vents since I don't have tint on the windshield and it limited the amount of interior parts I had to remove when running the wires.

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ The antenna wasn't working properly anyways. It was just a minor attempt to fix things and speed up antenna's replacement. I would swap it sooner or later.

·
it's a lifestyle
538 Posts
^ The antenna wasn't working properly anyways. It was just a minor attempt to fix things and speed up antenna's replacement. I would swap it sooner or later.
Understood. People live and learn and thankfully the antennas aren't too expensive.

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Understood. People live and learn and thankfully the antennas aren't too expensive.
Yea, luckily they are under $200 new. I am trying to get 1 from a wrecked TSX. Somehow, I doubt that there is a high demand on them out there to keep the price up.

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ HUH? They are made in China and purchased in America, lol. What made you think that there is something Russian about them?

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
I repped the op because his DIY shows more info about our cars (gps and xm radio antennas, how they are routed, etc).

The wiring portions of the DIY I don't agree with, though. Perhaps a harness should have been made to extend the wires, rather than cutting and splicing stuff.

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I repped the op because his DIY shows more info about our cars (gps and xm radio antennas, how they are routed, etc).

The wiring portions of the DIY I don't agree with, though. Perhaps a harness should have been made to extend the wires, rather than cutting and splicing stuff.
Thanks for the rep.

I have the same pair and I got them in Russia.
I should ask my dad where he got them from then lol

·
it's a lifestyle
538 Posts
I love the negative rep I get for bringing factual information in to this thread.

"u are sooooo wrong."

Does the member that did that want to man up and explain why he/she thinks I am 'sooooo wrong'? Or are you just another 16 still trying to build a brain?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
5,994 Posts

Same here.
Also pos-repped Dark for his constructive criticism.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
5,994 Posts
I also added this thread to our DIY Menu, but since this project outcome is questionable, added it only as resource for antennas disassembly. I also changed the title of this thread a little because of that. Hope TSX_WS doesn't mind :) But clearly, if he admitted that his work did not resolve the problem, then we should not be suggesting to others to follow it. But the write-up and pics are a great resource and that's why I added it to our DIY Menu.

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
^ Thanks a lot Peregrine. It feels great to be appreciated and know that I have done something useful for others :D

PS; I dont mind the title change.

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got my new antenna from local dealership today. Cost me $156. I manually adjusted position of the vehicle and the car picked up 3 satellites right away. Back to the original question; how many satellites do your stock navi's pick signals from?

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
ouch, you coulda had an intake for that money.

i can check how many satellites my navi connects to if you tell me how to do it.

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ Hold map, menu, cancel buttons together for a few seconds and u will see diagnostics screen. Then click navi system it will show the grid and satellites.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
i'll post up and answer at 5-6 when i get home. make sure you finalize tomorrow's meet location. i just hope people show up

1 - 20 of 22 Posts