Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I probably should look this up but what the hey, this may be easier.

Has anyone else noticed when you add locations to "Todays Destinations" and arrive at the location, the system fails to eliminate it from the list?

Instead, I end up manually deleting it. Is this considered normal?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
"Today's Destinations" is a feature I've never used, and don't exactly understand what it is or why it exists.

Of course it seems kind of obvious what it probably is, but if that's all it is, what use is it?
I mean, wouldn't its contents already be included in "Previous Destinations," which is more inclusive (and which I use very often)? So, unless it's something besides what seems obvious, what is it for?

.....or whatever else you can say about it. What do you use it for????

I imagine this is why nobody else has replied to this thread -- I'd guess hardly anyone else uses it either, because of what I'm saying.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guilty for not looking this up yet as I've been too busy, sound familiar? But I honestly plan to do some research soon.

So far as I can determine, "Todays Destinations" is primarily a sorting feature for a series of trips you plan to make.

For instance, if you input several destinations it sorts them by distance, the closest location appearing first regardless of the order you stored them.

It also seems to have a limit of about 6 and won't accept any more than that. However, you can edit any location and move it up or down or delete it. So if you didn't prefer to drive to closest one first, you could move it down the list and proceed to the 2nd one.

The issue I've encountered is when you arrive at any of the destinations, unlike the normal Navi method, the destination(s) remains on the list and don't disappear.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
That's about what I thought. And indeed I don't see the need for it. You can do the same thing and have them stored under "Previous Destinations," which in fact is exactly what I do in such situations.

Having this additional feature does have the advantage of giving a neat and logical title to today's little collection. But that doesn't have any appeal to me, and I wouldn't imagine it has any appeal to most others. Even though I'm pretty obsessive about the logic and neatness of titles, it hasn't ever bothered me that the places I'm going to today are stored under "Previous." Look at it this way: It's no worse than clicking "Start" to turn off your computer, or holding down the "End" button on your cell phone to turn it on. We're quite accustomed to utilizing features in ways that don't bear any relation to their titles. And, other things being equal, I'd rather do more things with one feature than to have to bother with an additional feature, if the first feature can really do it all.

If they were going to add something to the Nav system, right off the top of my head I can think of a few things I'd put ahead of "Today's Destinations" on the priority scale.

But never mind -- Who can answer Hip's question? :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well once again we have a difference of opinion. I, on the other hand, find it very useful. I won't go so far as to say I can't live without it but I do find it helpful for several reasons.

First, when running errands, it helps me remember which places I need to go. This is very useful when I combine errands with meetings. Generally by the time a meeting is over, I've forgotten some or all the remaining stops I need to make.

Next, it allows me to make the best use of my time and gas by plotting all the routes in the most efficient manner. Occassionally I will deviate from the list and that is why I will rearrange it.

I've used Previous Destinations and still do, but it isn't as effective for a series of short distance trips, especially if it's one I haven't made before.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I hear you.

To me, though, that just confuses the issue. And OTOH I don't find it any problem to just punch in the new destinations, and they'll be saved right on the top of "Previous Destinations." (And if I want to change the order after I've put them in, I can do that too.) And whether or not I've gone there before has nothing to do with it.

But I guess the feature is about having more options, which can't hurt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts