Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advice for fighting a TICKET (update)

Hey guys, I got a ticket for modified exhoust. I have Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust, I know its under 93decibals so it should be fine for the street since the California requirement is 95DB. So I'm gona fight this ticket, the thing is when I got to Tanabe website, I found the info I need but I can't print it to take it to court with me. Any help or sedgestion how to fight and win this ticket is greatly appreciated. I want to show them that even if thats the case and accourding to them I got the exhoust to amplify the noise (as its stated on the ticket), I'm still within the law and under the noise requirement.

Thanks guys

I'm fighting all my tickets in the court and last friday I got my speeding ticket desmised, since the COP didn't show up :)

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
anything on a website can be printed, what is the info you need?

I'd ask the officer to prove to the judge that it's illegal, if he can't, you're good.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
I </3 NY ROADS
4,046 Posts
anything on a website can be printed, what is the info you need?

I'd ask the officer to prove to the judge that it's illegal, if he can't, you're good.
Once a Judge actually asked the cop if he checked to see if a traffic light was working before giving my uncle a red light ticket. He said no... case dismissed. He asked him did you time the light to see if it changed on time. My uncle was guilty as sin since it was 4am and he just did a stop and roll. Cops face was priceless :bill:

Try to ask Tanabe for a PDF file with the info you need.

You can ask the officer how he measured the sound? They need a radar for speed and the tint meter for tint so how does he know your exhaust is over 95DB? Good Luck!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Fight the ticket. The offices has to prove that it was loud beyond the acceptable limit.
BTW, what are you exactly trying to print? I didn't see on the company's website that exhaust is within acceptable legal requirement?

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
msstsx to the rescue again with another helpful post! nice work man

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was pulled directly from the California Vehicle Code which you can find here http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vcpdf/d…

Exhaust Systems: Whistle-Tip Prohibition
27150.3. (a) A person may not modify the exhaust
system of a motor vehicle with a whistle-tip.

Modification of Exhaust Systems: Sound Level in
Compliance
27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of
a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase
the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the
vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section
27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of
vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No
person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system
so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor
vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of
less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level
of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of
Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies
with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts
thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust
equipment.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
there is a print screen button your keyboard. paste it into paint and crop it how you want it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
Is the "under 93 db" advertisement only valid with the product installed on a completely stock car, or is it still true when the car has an intake (or resonator removed)?

Rather than relying on advertisement, you might want to focus on how the cop measured the decibels of your exhaust. When was the last time he had his hearing tested? Has he been trained to distinguish the loudness of an exhaust, like how cops can determine car speeds without radar by comparing the time it takes for a car to go from one point of the windshield to another point?

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
Is the "under 93 db" advertisement only valid with the product installed on a completely stock car, or is it still true when the car has an intake (or resonator removed)
last time i went to traffic court, it was so busy with all the people there i dont think the judge is gonna want to spend extra time to add up the db's from the exhaust and an intake or other parts of the car. i think when he just shows that printout the judge will say "case dismissed. have a nice day."

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all

^^^^ no judge will just have us wait untile everyone leaves then will call us again I think.
I'm gona show judge a picture of my car so he can see its not a coupe or sports car, its just a lexury sedan. Then I will explain that the catalitic converter is the factory one and my car will pass the test every single time. And also want to show even if its aftermarket exhaust, its still below the 95db requirement.

Ticket says - Modified Exhoust to amplify the noise.

as far as the intake, I have CT-ice box so it looks stock. I have the CT headers , which is 50 state legal and cat is stock.

I feel very confident that I will win but last time I was in a court, this guy was presenting his case and saying that radar police, let the front car go then pulled the second car (which was him) and gave him a speeding ticket. Cop was like "yes its posible" and the judge said "guily, go pay you ticket". I was like wtf just happend

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

So last wednesday I went to court and like I said before I was ready to fight the ticket. Officer did show up and that kind of took me little down but I was determind that I'm gona win. They were keep asking me, "if you change your plea to guilty, the judge will reduce your fine like 80%". I was like NO, I want to go to trial. So finaly it was our turn, the judge read the charges and asked me if I want to go ahead with trial. I said "YES", so judge started first questioning the officer, where was he and how did that catch his attention? Officer said he was driving west on the street and I was driving east, like we passed each other, my exhoust was loud and he made a U-turn and pulled me over. So the judge asked me if I have questions for the officer, I said "yes" and I presented my case, then told them that I looked it up that section code, my understanding was that (any car under 6000lb have to be under 95 db.) I read it out loud that part and handed a print out of the law code to the judge. He read that print out silently and asked the officer if my Acura is under 6000lb?. Officer said "yes", then judge asked the officer the question that I wanted to ask him, how can he be sure that the exhoust was louder than 95db since he is not aware of that the cops have measuring device. The officer said that he is not sure if it was more than 95 db and that he never seen anything like my Tanabe printout that says under 93db.
JUDGE said since the officer can't proof that it was over 95db, he feels compelled to dismiss the case.

I couldn't belive it, just like that it was over. I felt so happy and proud of myself at that moment, I still can't stop smiling LOL

The best part was that it was officers day off, he came dressed up, not in a uniform . So thanks guys for your help and advices

+1 for tuners :)

·
Registered
295 Posts

If not edited enough, sorry Mods. Sweet success though, one for the real good guys and not the mobile revenue agents

1 - 20 of 22 Posts