Acura TSX Forum banner

How do you feel about the S. Drives?

• Not too happy. Quietness/grip/short tire life are below desired.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Utter waste of money.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am looking to purchase these when all the Christmas sales come (yea, I know. Its only October.) I have a few questions for the owners.

1) Are they really quiet or is there some road noise coming specifically from the tires?

2) Do you feel the road well when turning or are they a little wobbly? How is responsiveness.

3) How is the tire life?

4) Are you overall satisfied?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
So, I am looking to purchase these when all the Christmas sales come (yea, I know. Its only October.) I have a few questions for the owners.

I work as a salesman at Town Fair Tire, one of the few authorized retailers for Yokohama.

1) Are they really quiet or is there some road noise coming specifically from the tires?
They are quiet depending on how much camber you have, the tires have silent wall technology which breaks up the noise that goes through the tire.

2) Do you feel the road well when turning or are they a little wobbly? How is responsiveness.
You'll only be able to answer this yourself, tire size and speed rating play a part in this question. The higher the speed rating, the stiffer the sidewall. most /45/ tires come V rated or higher.

3) How is the tire life?
Depends on how well you take care of the tires. They'll only last for as long as you take care of them. If you have a lot of camber, and toe, they will wear out fast. If you have little toe & camber, less wear, try rotating every 5-7k and even if you are lowered should still have alignment recheck'd atleast minimum every 6 months.
Only you can answer this, no personal opinion can help you on this question unless you test drive them for youself. TFT allows any customer to drive on a tire for 30 days and if you don't like it, jus tbring it back and exchange it for somehting else with no penalty. maybe you should try finding a retailer that is willing to do that for you.

What exactly are you looking for in a tire to provide you? I can defiantly help you find something and give you dealer costs on them so you know what you should be paying :)

My personal opinion for you, is find a Falken dealer, and get Azenis. I had them on my car about 2 summers ( they wear out quick) but they provided excellent traction dry weather, and enough traction for the rain.

·
Banned
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for help. I am looking for good cruising tires, I do not really push the car or track. I have a mild drop, just over and inch and run less than 1 degree of camber. I also hate wobbly tires with soft side walls and I want the car to be quiet of the freeway :)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
for a cruising tire with great traction & superior rain, look at the Toyo Versado in V rating, or the Yokohama Avid Envigor. BST are great tires as well, but never had a good experience with them.. most of them are OE level replacement tires whcih is why they're only available in very few sizes.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I had S Drives on my old car. Immediately felt better response and the ride was very comfortable. I can't say much on tire life though, only had them a year and I did track my car for a day and I know for a fact that it helped a lot. I was very happy and I would like to have these tires again because I know I liked them the first time.

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
What about Yokohama C-drives? ... if you're not after all out grip.

I have C-drives and they are comfortable, grippy and relatively quiet.

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
double post.

·
, Administrator, TOTM Coordinator
6,858 Posts

Really quiet, till I got some camber wear. But fixed that issue, after installing my rear camber kit.

Very Responsive.

3) How is the tire life?
Tire Life.. is okay, since its a sport tire, tire life isnt all that great. But with on schedule tire rotation, you should get a pretty good life expectancy with it.

Very Satisfied.

Thanks!
Replied.

·
*Metalhead*
2,657 Posts
They are a very comfortable, semi-grippy tire. Very low noise as well. If you want something better for about the same price, pick up the Hankook Ventus V12's.

·
Banned
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cali is not a very rainy place, but we do get a couple of weeks of rain in the falls and springs

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
I run a summer tire all year around and I live in cali.

I have s.drive's and general exclaim uhp's. I actually looked into the hankook v12's when I was tire shopping for my mugen GP's.

Honestly, satisfaction is totally up to the consumer. I like the s.drives and I would buy them again. The grip is great and they are pretty quiet. For $125x4 after mounting and balance, its a good value to me.

I got the generals cause they were dirt cheap while still having good reviews on tirerack. $350ish after mount and balance for a set of 4 was hard to pass up. Overall, I think the generals aren't as performance oriented as the s.drives, but they still are an improvement over the stock tires.

They are both categorized as "Ultra High Performance Summer Tires" on tirerack. The generals are 3lbs lighter per tire than the s.drives which i thought was interesting. 22.5lb vs 19.5lb. The generals does have a higher wear rating and I can tell that the sdrives wear faster than the generals do.

You'll probably be satisfied with the s.drives, as well as the generals and the hankook v12s, as they are all pretty similar. At this point, you'll just have to prioritize what is more important to you.

Is tire cost your #1 priority? performance? tire weight? price? where the tire is made? wet traction? dry traction? tread design? sidewall length?

·
Banned
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Continental Extreme Contact DW are fairly light too. Price, weight, insane traction are all of secondary importance. I want responsiveness, quiet ride, little rolling resistance. I am also looking into Michelin Primacy's right now.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Just choose 3 different popular tires and then choose from those. Unless you have a ton of time on your hands, researching tires can be pretty time consuming. Like I said before, you'd probably be satisfied buying the s.drives, hankook v12s, and the general uhp exclaims. It's a matter of money and secondary priorities after that.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,878 Posts
Well I can let you know what I think soon as I just ordered a set of these last night to stretch onto my new wheels. Just read how heavy they are though eeeeekkk. Oh well I was more worried about how well they look when stretched than the weight anyways.

18x9 with a 215/40/18 here I come.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry by using your thread.

What do you think about Toyo Proxes 4?
Noise, wear and traction...
I've read good reviews about it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts