Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
So as many of you may have seen in my other post I've been trying to figure out what's causing my harsh shift that occurs only from 4 to 5 gear. I've done a lot of research and I'm taking a guess that it's the pressure switch that's faulty. It shifts better in sport mode than when in Auto mode which leads me to think it's electrical because if the trans was shot all the gears would give me problems in auto AND sport manual mode, right? Not just one gear
I'm trying to figure out how to change that 4th gear pressure switch! Saw a couple posts and they weren't detailed enough. Where is this switch precisely located and how do I go about changing it? They look extremely cheap (under $100) so I figure why not try it. I'm open to other suggestions too (hopefully the trans isn't shot) thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
What is the condition of the fluid? Fluid Level? Generally as long as the pressure switch is functioning there is really no need to replace it..

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I checked originally the fluid looked pretty good. Wasn't black, looked kinda translucent pink. Don't you think it strange that it does it in that one gear? Is there any chance it's an internal issue like clutch packs? I can pretty much void it in sport shift mode...open to any suggestions

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I just went out and checked and the fluid level was perfect and looked translucent brown/pink so it may be dirty. I smelled it and it smelled very distinct, not burnt like toast though. Do you think I should change it? I don't think dirty fluid would only cause one gear to have issues but I'm down to try it out

·
Registered
241 Posts
Honda transmissions are really touchy, it sounds like it for sure wouldn't hurt to service it.. a drain and fill is 3qts, clean off the magnetic drain plug and replace the crush washer as well.. How hard is it shifting?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It only shifts hard from 4th to 5th gear about 50% of the time. It's hard to predict but I can floor it and it shifts fine. It kind of slips/flares sometimes too from 4th to 5th (RPMs raise about 500 before finalizing the shift).
When cold and driven right away, 4th to 5th does a half shift and then finalizes the full shift after about a mile (I'm assuming that's because I'm driving while trans fluid is ice cold which might be part of the trans computer to force the fluid temp up quicker w/ higher RPMs)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nick or anyone else,
Any thoughts on this. I'm thinking of making this my next task on the car. I did a fluid change last week at the dealer and initially it felt better but now it's back to the same thing described above.
Anyone input is greatly appreciated! Haven't found anything related to my problem anywhere. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
For 2004 the pressure switches are the same part number and run about $40 each through acuraoemparts.com

One of them is next to the transmission filter on the left of it if your looking at the engine bay. You'll need a deep 22mm socket.

Second one is under the battery tray. You will have to remove the battery and the tray. The tray is a bit tricky to remove. You'll need extensions and bend your arm a weird way to get to them. The two bolts that hold the back of the tray to the driver side frame does not have to be removed all the way. Just 1/4 way out or so and the tray can pull straight out as the bolt doesn't go through a hole in the tray, the tray like slides between the bolt and the frame and the bolt holds it in place if that makes sense. Once you remove the tray you'll see the switch. You will need a 22mm wrench to reach that one.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For 2004 the pressure switches are the same part number and run about $40 each through acuraoemparts.com

One of them is next to the transmission filter on the left of it if your looking at the engine bay. You'll need a deep 22mm socket.

Second one is under the battery tray. You will have to remove the battery and the tray. The tray is a bit tricky to remove. You'll need extensions and bend your arm a weird way to get to them. The two bolts that hold the back of the tray to the driver side frame does not have to be removed all the way. Just 1/4 way out or so and the tray can pull straight out as the bolt doesn't go through a hole in the tray, the tray like slides between the bolt and the frame and the bolt holds it in place if that makes sense. Once you remove the tray you'll see the switch. You will need a 22mm wrench to reach that one.
Cool thanks for the info. What gears do each of these switches control?
Should I replace one or both?
Still looking for any input on what this could possibly be. The fact that every other gear change never gives me a harsh shift is strange. This 4th to 5th gear change is very harsh when slowly accelerating and doesn't happen when quickly accelerating. Is something inside the transmission worn or is it a pressure problem?
I've extensively searched and haven't come across anyone with a TSX/Acura/or even a Honda with a specifically similar problem as this...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would try the following:

Replace both pressure switches. They control 3rd and 4th gear if I remember correctly

If that doesn't work, unplug your negative battery cable and leave it for an hour or so (or overnight) so your ecu can relearn your driving habits.

Also change your transmission filter when doing the switches, it could be possible it's not getting enough flow.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The battery has been disconnected for about 20 minutes when I changed out my battery a while back.

Also,
I actually thought about the filter too but I feel like if it was clogged it would affect other shift points too, not just that 4-5 shift.

If these pressure 2 switches only manage pressure during the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, respectively, I can't imagine replacing them would result in helping my 4-5 issue. So what controls the 1-2 and 4-5th gear shifts (regarding pressure)?

I don't really want to "blindly" throw parts at this if we know it has no correlation to 4th-5th gear. I will probably do this to rule it out but as always, I'm open to other suggestions and thoughts

Thanks for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts