Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When all windows are up, you can hear some sort of creaking noise or rubbing noise near the top of the windows (both driver-side and passenger). Don't know if it's the window itself against rubber or the metal on the door against rubber. The sound sort of goes away when you lower the windows down a bit. I've seen threads where people use 303 aerospace protectant or Vinylex, but that seems to be just a temporary fix. Has anyone taken it back to the dealership and had them successfully diagnose it?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Strifez said:
When all windows are up, you can hear some sort of creaking noise or rubbing noise near the top of the windows (both driver-side and passenger). Don't know if it's the window itself against rubber or the metal on the door against rubber. The sound sort of goes away when you lower the windows down a bit. I've seen threads where people use 303 aerospace protectant or Vinylex, but that seems to be just a temporary fix. Has anyone taken it back to the dealership and had them successfully diagnose it?
Welcome to the forum, Strifez. I think what you're describing is one of the infamous "rattles." I gather that it doesn't sound exactly like a rattle, but I think that nevertheless it's basically within that category. Polls on these forums have shown that a very signficant proportion of TSX's have one or another problem of this sort -- perhaps as much as two-thirds of the cars. Of course it's possible that people with the rattles are more likely to participate in such polls and therefore that the actual percentage is lower, but in any event it's a significant percentage.

And they can come from almost anywhere. The window is a very common locus. Others are the radio/CD, the windshield, and the moonroof.

It seems that most people who have had their dealerships work on it have had the problem fixed, although not always, and although sometimes it takes more than one try.

I was blessed with a "non-rattle" TSX, until last week when a radio/CD rattle got created as a result of some other work in that area of the car. I guess life is like that sometimes.

Good luck -- do indeed bring it to the dealership. If they say they don't know about such problems, perhaps you might want to suggest they contact Honda/Acura to get some input, and/or that they check some of the TSX internet forums, where they'll find everything they ever wanted to know about TSX rattles.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Strifez, you've already covered both solutions I was going to propose: (1) lowering windows a little (2) wiping down the rubber trims with the vinyl treatment sprays.

I don't believe I've seen any other possible solutions posted for the window rattling problems. I was also under the assumption that the second solution would last longer (maybe not a permanent fix but long enough for you to forget about it for a while).

I also agree that you should pay a visit to the dealership. Some poeple have had no luck with this method while others were able to resolve their rattle issue(s) at the dealership. If it doesn't work out at the first dealership, try a different dealership (if available).

Sorry I don't have more answers for you but perhaps if you are able to resolve the rattling issue later on, please keep us informed.

G

·
Windshield Creak

I put up with this for months but found the solution on one of the TSX sites. The dealer didn't have a clue -- they suggested playing the radio louder!!! Not what I expected from Acura.

The problem is the plastic molding that runs from the base of the windshield to the top of the rear window along the left (in my case) edge of the roof of the car. Thirty seconds of pushing and straightening fixed the problem.

If you have a creak in the front, try this no matter where it seems to come from. My creak did not sound as if it was originating from a side molding -- it sounded as if it was coming from the dash or from the bottom of the windshield.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Re: Windshield Creak

Godel said:
I put up with this for months but found the solution on one of the TSX sites. The dealer didn't have a clue -- they suggested playing the radio louder!!! Not what I expected from Acura.

The problem is the plastic molding that runs from the base of the windshield to the top of the rear window along the left (in my case) edge of the roof of the car. Thirty seconds of pushing and straightening fixed the problem.

If you have a creak in the front, try this no matter where it seems to come from. My creak did not sound as if it was originating from a side molding -- it sounded as if it was coming from the dash or from the bottom of the windshield.
Welcome, Godel, and thanks! I'll try it even though it doesn't seem to have anything to do with where my "rattle" is coming from.
BTW how long ago did you do it? One might wonder if the problem is solved for good, so I wonder how long it's already been. And let us know if it stays OK later on.

And yes, that thing about "play your radio louder" was ridiculous and unbelievable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts