Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently just bought a 2006 Acura TSX. It’s a really good looking car! When I bought it, both power locks in the front didn’t work, and from research I believe that the actuators needed to be replaced.

I thought this would be a fun little project to do, so I searched up tutorials and got all the tools and ready to work on the car.

Removing the door panel was a piece of cake, but I got stuck on removing the 3 countersunk screws on the side of the door panel.

Here are the process I went through attempting to unscrew those screws.

• First, I used a regular Ryobi beginner drill with #1 size Phillips, it didn’t work so I searched and found that I needed an impact driver which I got from Home Depot.
  • I got a RIGID’s 12v impact driver paired with #3 size Phillips, I was able to unscrew two of the screws. The last one seemed to be stripped badly from the previous drill.

• Weirdly enough, the same impact driver and Phillips couldn’t unscrew any screws from the passenger side.
  • Then I tried to do it by hand for all four screws with these tools, which ended up slipping.
  • Lastly I saw a video on switching the battery could affect the performance. So I tried that I put on a 4.0 ah battery, which were able to unscrew one screw from the passenger side.
  • I bought this kit which I’m going to try tomorrow.
At this point, I believe I stripped 3 screws in total.

So my question is how could I remove the stripped screws? Is the screw size actually #3 Phillips? Where can I buy replacement screws (looked through oreily’s and autozone with no luck)?

Thanks for reading this post. I’m looking forward to your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's been a long time since I encountered the same issue but I believe the screws are #3 phillips and the speed out kit worked for me when I had to remove the screws I stripped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey guys, I recently just bought a 2006 Acura TSX. It’s a really good looking car! When I bought it, both power locks in the front didn’t work, and from research I believe that the actuators needed to be replaced.

I thought this would be a fun little project to do, so I searched up tutorials and got all the tools and ready to work on the car.

Removing the door panel was a piece of cake, but I got stuck on removing the 3 countersunk screws on the side of the door panel.

Here are the process I went through attempting to unscrew those screws.

• First, I used a regular Ryobi beginner drill with #1 size Phillips, it didn’t work so I searched and found that I needed an impact driver which I got from Home Depot.
  • I got a RIGID’s 12v impact driver paired with #3 size Phillips, I was able to unscrew two of the screws. The last one seemed to be stripped badly from the previous drill.
View attachment 46505
  • Weirdly enough, the same impact driver and Phillips couldn’t unscrew any screws from the passenger side.
  • Then I tried to do it by hand for all four screws with these tools, which ended up slipping. View attachment 46503
  • Lastly I saw a video on switching the battery could affect the performance. So I tried that I put on a 4.0 ah battery, which were able to unscrew one screw from the passenger side.
  • I bought this kit which I’m going to try tomorrow. View attachment 46506
At this point, I believe I stripped 3 screws in total.

So my question is how could I remove the stripped screws? Is the screw size actually #3 Phillips? Where can I buy replacement screws (looked through oreily’s and autozone with no luck)?

Thanks for reading this post. I’m looking forward to your help.
It's been a long time since I encountered the same issue but I believe the screws are #3 phillips and the speed out kit worked for me when I had to remove the screws I stripped.
Tried out the speed out kit today, used #2 and #3 ended up stripping the screw even more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I remember I had that issue once. Hopefully it’s not to late but what I ended up doing is using a torch to heat up the screw. Put the heat right at the screw only. Take the torch off after a couple seconds and spray some screw penetrating oil on the side of the screw. After doing that a couple times to make sure the oil gets in between the threads it came off pretty easy. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your response. Are you talking about a blowtorch or lighters would work?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Take a dremmel to it. Cut a slot in the head of the screw and use a flathead screwdriver.
A lighter will not do anything. Needs to be a torch, if you go with that method.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Faithnomore
Acura TSX Forum
TSX Club is the perfect forum for Acura TSX fans and Owners, where you can discuss concerns about reliability or how to upgrade your TSX with mods and accessories.
Full Forum Listing