Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm needing to replace the manual transmission for my '08 Acura TSX. It has ~ 165K on the odo, so really trying to figure out what to do. There was ~ 3,000K put into replacing the hood/front bumper and side panels so for how old it is it does not look terrible.

If anyone can give me some leads on a replacement transmission it would be appreciated! If anyone is looking for a project car to work on let me know as well. Trans is toast but car had been running perfectly fine up until then.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have all the internals for a TSX trans sitting in a box in my garage, well... Almost all. The 6th gears with them are the shorter 6th you'd find in the SI or RSX. If they can be of use I'm happy to let them go cheaply. I still recommend new bearings, seals and synchros too.
For a drop in solution, and also an upgrade, you can get the Accord Euro-R transmission (ASP3) which has the shorter gesrset (hence the short 6th in my parts box) and an LSD. Others have made different transmissions work, even 5 speeds, but none of the others use all of the transmission mounting points the TSX has besides the Euro-R.

·
Registered
775 Posts
What exactly is wrong with yours? Pop outs? Synchro issues?

You might be fortunate enough to find a USDM 04-08 TSX 6 speed trans but it will likely have issues or be on the way to having issues. Most of these transmissions have excessive synchro wear from CMC/clutch pedal issues and just overall hard use. They still command a pretty penny for what you'll get imo. Around $550-$850

Like shandalo said, the Euro-R option is probably the best bang for the buck. Now the trans will be used still, but generally they have much lower miles and you do get the benefit of shorter gearing and an LSD. Opening it up and adding the USDM 6th like shandalo did would be ideal if that's an option. Around $1k-$1.3k. If you're planning on keeping the car this is the route I'd go for sure.

Or build your current one, which depending how deep you want to go and any upgrades you can be over $2k in a hurry. I spec'd out building a trans with Si gears, OEM LSD, all new bearings and other wear items, and a synchrotech synchro kit - it was ridiculously expensive so I didn't go that route.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Initially my mechanic just thought it was the CV joint as it snapped off, but they did some work on it and then discovered the transmission is in very rough shape. I'll get more details tomorrow. This shop has been great for me in the past so if they are saying the trans is shot I'm sure they're being very transparent about everything.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I found this site, anyone have experience with it? 04 08 HONDA ACCORD EURO R TSX MANUAL 6SPD TRANSMISSION JDM K20AR ASP3 1000480 | JDM Engine Depot Thank you both very much for the help. :)

My plan is to keep this as my winter beater and I'll probably be springing for a 2016 Mustang GT 5.0 here shortly.
That is the correct Euro R transmission. The extra motor mount on the top is what most others are missing. Haven't dealt with that place myself, but I'm a long way from NJ. Pretty fair price, and looks like they cleaned it up nicely too.

...sorry to hear about the Mustang.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the correct Euro R transmission. The extra motor mount on the top is what most others are missing. Haven't dealt with that place myself, but I'm a long way from NJ. Pretty fair price, and looks like they cleaned it up nicely too.

...sorry to hear about the Mustang.
Okay cool. Well I'm test driving some cars so trying to figure out what to get haha. I'm always open to other suggestions to look into. No love for the 5.0 coyote engine though? :p

·
Registered
775 Posts
5.0's are fun. I had one as a rental for a week and had to hit the carwash to spray off the rear bumper from all the rubber shards before dropping her off. If you're considering a Mustang you better look at the newer Camaro SS's too. Also had a 2020 SS as a rental and wow that 455 hp and 10 speed makes for a fun combo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts