Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to a shop to inquire about speaker upgrade and adding a subwoofer along with everything that i need to upgrade. what im looking for is some bass for the kind of music that i hear..... also dont want a box in the trunk ..i might go with a custom setup...id like to upgrade my 6x9 speakers and add a 10" subwoofer and keep the stock speaker on doors...

what speakers are you using for your 6x9 and subwoofer ? how many watts ? what amp and how many watts? would you recommend to change the fronts or would i be good with the set up i want?

Its been since i was 17 years old that i had a system so im lost with the new shit thats outs....

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
JL Audio makes great sounding subwoofers. I had it in my Integra and people said that it was the cleanest sounding subwoofer they've heard. I had two 10 inch JL W3v2. They might not have the highest wattage output, but the bass is really clean. Ebay sells them for much cheaper so you can start looking there for prices.

I don't think you need to upgrade the 6x9 since you plan on getting a 10 inch subwoofer. Because the 6x9 are just mini sub woofers. If you get a 10 inch subwoofer, it might drown out your 6x9.

I wanted to go with a custom fitted subwoofer too but I find myself needing all the trunk space I can get.

·
PhisaggiN
1,536 Posts
If you do end up getting a sub, just remove the stock 6x9s. Helps vent some bass into the cab.

:fro:

·
Registered
856 Posts
If you go sub, remove 6x9s...if not, I have JL TR's in the rear deck, can't really go wrong with JL, Alpine...but I wouldn't invest more than ~120 on the deck 6x9s.

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
my advice is get a small tubular box and put it in your trunk, buy either a MTX Alpine or JL 8inch or 10inch sub and either a MTX or JL amp in there. you should be good with a 500w Peak 250 RMS amp. that way the power cable is small and easier to run. than you tap off the rear deck subs and turn the subs down in your head unit and up in the amp and itll sound perfect:) Also leave your 6x9s in the deck, do this because if your subs cant hit high enough notes your 6x9s will pick up the slack a little so your music doesnt sound "empty"

If you put subs in the deck its gonna rattle to sh1t bc the metal is to thin and flimsy. a small trunk box is the way to go!

If you want a list of things to look at lmk

If you do end up getting a sub, just remove the stock 6x9s. Helps vent some bass into the cab.
Subsonic frequency's dont need to be line of sight(anything below 200hz) anything above that needs to be line of sight(mids and highs)

an example of this is when someones subs are pumpin you will hear the sub hiting 8 blocks down whille the highs and mids will only be heard till the end of the block

·
5,036 Posts
I agree that you should not run a high power 6x9 on the deck. I'm running a polk audio MM691 and they made my rear deck rattle like fuken world war 2. I then had to get it dynamatted. The rattle is then reduced to 90% but the 10% still bothers me so I turned down the power of the 6x9 through my amp.

The only reason why I didn't get rid of the MM691 is because it's three way, meaning it has tweeters, so I can actually hear some sound coming from the rear like a home theater system. Or else I would have returned it for a cheaper 6x9

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
I agree that you should not run a high power 6x9 on the deck. I'm running a polk audio MM691 and they made my rear deck rattle like fuken world war 2. I then had to get it dynamatted. The rattle is then reduced to 90% but the 10% still bothers me so I turned down the power of the 6x9 through my amp.

The only reason why I didn't get rid of the MM691 is because it's three way, meaning it has tweeters, so I can actually hear some sound coming from the rear like a home theater system. Or else I would have returned it for a cheaper 6x9
im surprised the tweeter does anything? bc the rear decks are set to do subsonic sounds, i solved this by wiring tweeters into my headliner and there tapped off the rear door speakers

·
5,036 Posts
im surprised the tweeter does anything? bc the rear decks are set to do subsonic sounds, i solved this by wiring tweeters into my headliner and there tapped off the rear door speakers
Yea the tweeters actually produce some nice crisp sound when I'm blasting it.

I did a comparison by unhooking the tweeter, listen, hook it back up, listen, and decided I would keep the 6x9 because I liked how the tweeter sound. It's pretty much 2 for 1 since it's tweeter built into a mini sub woofer so I kept it. I never knew of a 3-way 6x9 until I got these.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lots of good info.... id like to keep it personal rather then having the music be heard 2 blocks away... I was thinkin of puttin a 1 10" inch subwoofer in between the rear seats where the arm rest go.. . Ideally id like not to have a box in the trunk... as far as speakers I really don't know yet... if its way over my budget then I will possibly put a box and will dynomat the areas that rattle ...should I also replace the doors or should I be good with the upgrading 6x9 and adding a 10" subwoofer?

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
Lots of good info.... id like to keep it personal rather then having the music be heard 2 blocks away... I was thinkin of puttin a 1 10" inch subwoofer in between the rear seats where the arm rest go.. . Ideally id like not to have a box in the trunk... as far as speakers I really don't know yet... if its way over my budget then I will possibly put a box and will dynomat the areas that rattle ...should I also replace the doors or should I be good with the upgrading 6x9 and adding a 10" subwoofer?
im assuming you dont wanna rattle your car to pieces so your oem speakers are sufficient for what you want. id go with a 250w sub with a 250w amp and keep the gain pulled back a little so you dont hurt it. secondly i would make sure you get a sub with a sensitivity of 90db at 1 watt or higher, a cone NOT made of cardboard, and a 2ohm voice coil if possible but a 4 ohm will do.

The better the sensitivity the better off you are bc that means you will need less power to make more noise, buttt....you need to have an ear for subsonic distortion because a more effecient sub is easier to blow. I dont wanna scare you away from a highly sensitive sub bc thats what you need, you dont seem the type to wanna blow your ears out but its just something to be aware of if you decide to crank it. When you get the system i can explain how to visually see distortion on a sub if you need

as for the woofer, go with a more expensive 8" for the same price as your 10", the rule goes the bigger the sub the louder it is(because it moves more air) but a bigger sub is sloppy and doesnt sound tight. sometimes a huge sub actually sounds out of sync to the music. i think for you a 8" will be perfect itll be tight good sounding base that wont rattle anything but you will def hear it.

this is what i put in my buddies wrangler: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_204BT8014/Bazooka-BT8014.html?tp=112

its the loudest jeep around and its not a thumper, just good sounding even music:) bazooka even makes a self powered amp if you wanna save the space:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_204BTA850F/Bazooka-BTA850FH.html?tp=114

^but its only a 50 watter, but look at the sensitivity at 105db so this will kick pretty damn hard for a little thing:)

·
5,036 Posts
-_____-

cmon man

·
5,036 Posts
:laugh: yeah its small but its what he wants:p I mean i got W7s so i guess i cant really talk to much lmao
It's not that. It's that we already gave our opinions on 6x9 paired with sub woofers and he is still asking for opinions on it.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All this audio giving me a headache...I'm like a little kid at a toy store tryin to figure out if I wantwhich toy to pick out...lol... but thanx again guys...

·
Team Advantage Audio mem
834 Posts
I say do this. Since your wantting more base do a sub. an if you think u need more then buy 6x9. or vis versa.

another thing you could try and see if they have some 6x9 you could try in your car while your there

1 - 17 of 17 Posts