Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help finding a good an engine that my mechanic can swap for the one that is in there now. He told me that acura wants too much money for one. Everything else is in good condition. Im in NJ where would be the best place to look? Also should I try to find a newer one like '06 or does it have to be exactly the same? Is there more that one type of engine that Acura put in the '05 TSX? I've never shopped for an engine before and don't know what to look for.

·
*Metalhead*
2,657 Posts
I need help finding a good an engine that my mechanic can swap for the one that is in there now. He told me that acura wants too much money for one. Everything else is in good condition. Im in NJ where would be the best place to look? Also should I try to find a newer one like '06 or does it have to be exactly the same? Is there more that one type of engine that Acura put in the '05 TSX? I've never shopped for an engine before and don't know what to look for.
Only one engine type available. What exactly is wrong with yours? Why not just have it rebuilt?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
+ 1, what is wrong with it

·
Registered
976 Posts
You have to let us know whats wrong with the car. You might not need a complete motor..

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
Also should I try to find a newer one like '06 or does it have to be exactly the same?
The engine has to be the same year or newer (to be legal). Go for the 06 motor if possible. Acura made changes in 06 that increased the horsepower by about 10 hp. You probably would need to get an ECU to go along with the engine. Although, come to think of it, I don't know if it would need the MID (on the dashboard) of an 06 so that it can display messages.

You could also just get an 05 motor and swap in the different parts later on (throttle body, etc).

07/08 have Tire Pressure Monitoring System, so you might have to have TPMS sensors installed in your wheels. I think the ECU for 07/08 doesn't have the hondata reflash due to the ECU handling TPMS data.

Hmm, with all that thought in mind, it might be cheaper just to get an 05 motor.

Like everyone else is asking, what happened to the motor? Only in extreme circumstances would a new motor be needed (like running the engine without oil until it seized). Your mechanic should be able to open up the engines and replace/upgrade the internals.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have talked to several mechanics and no one can seem to rebuild my engine because they say it would require "special tools" that only the dealer has. My 2005 Acura TSX has 267,000 miles on it and runs perfect no check engine light or any problems but i am looking into adding a supercharger and i would like for my engine to last is why i want to rebuild it to make sure that it can take on the added power with ease. Has anyone supercharged a tsx im looking for around 300whp at a budget of $8000 or $8500

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
I have talked to several mechanics and no one can seem to rebuild my engine because they say it would require "special tools" that only the dealer has. My 2005 Acura TSX has 267,000 miles on it and runs perfect no check engine light or any problems but i am looking into adding a supercharger and i would like for my engine to last is why i want to rebuild it to make sure that it can take on the added power with ease. Has anyone supercharged a tsx im looking for around 300whp at a budget of $8000 or $8500
lolwut? Just so you know the dealer will not rebuild a motor, they will only swap with new parts(as in a new complete bottom end or new complete head) So these "special tools" they talk about is a bunch of BS.

Whats wrong with the motor that you are looking to get it rebuilt?

If you need a motor contact autofair honda on k20a.org they have used motors with 60k for sale. Make sure you get a k24a2 block or the mounts wont line up.

Lastly for 8k your gonna be tight to make that power safely, unfortunately those eaton blowers generate alot of heat when you start to push them hard. If you want a SC at that power level your gonna need an aftercooler, and maybe meth or water injection to keep your temps down. It also depends on if the motor is bone stock or not, the closer to stock the less efficient the motor is, which in return means the SC needs to work harder to make power and generates more heat.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You'll never make 300hp on a stock motor even with an s/c. You need to build the engine out and turbo it rather than supercharge.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
862 Posts
Its absolutely real to make safe 400hp on stock engine with turbo. SC is a BS , dont waste money on it . 5k is enough to build very nice kit.

If your engine still pulls fine than why dont you use it ?

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
Ill just leave this here: Highest hp supercharged k series - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

roots blower type superchargers are garbage IMO, you spend 4k and you get what 50whp maybe? Spend another 4k and maybe you can gain another 50-75whp....spend that same money on a turbo and a bottom end rebuild with slightly stiffer springs and youll be able to make twice the power. I would offer a rotex but that setup on a TSX is tight for room, and you would lose AC.

EDIT: Wrote PS instead of AC for some reason

·
Registered
862 Posts
Nah man , there were a custom rotrex project in Russia, i know that guy. He have straight hands growing from the right place and he made his own bracket for rotrex and was able to keep AC as well. He made 300+ whp on AT ! but then he had to change his car for something bigger and jeepy, now he is on Volvo XC V8 ) If someone want such kit he can produce those brackets , all drawings are ready.

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
Nah man , there were a custom rotrex project in Russia, i know that guy. He have straight hands growing from the right place and he made his own bracket for rotrex and was able to keep AC as well. He made 300+ whp on AT ! but then he had to change his car for something bigger and jeepy, now he is on Volvo XC V8 ) If someone want such kit he can produce those brackets , all drawings are ready.
Whats with all you guys over there with ATs :p

Rotexs are crazy, there very intense to drive. Thats the thing though its very custom and custom gets very expensive very quickly.

You'll never make 300hp on a stock motor even with an s/c. You need to build the engine out and turbo it rather than supercharge.
Its actually quite easy to break 300 on a k20/24. There are guys running 500+ on a stock bottom end very often. http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55035

You could also be just around 300 with a NA motor with 12.5:1 comp with e85 and pretty aggressive cams.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts