Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted a couple of times already but haven't posted in the newbie section yet! Hello everyone! This is by far the best sight I've been on for anything you want to know about TSX.!
I started looking around 6 months ago for a 4 cylinder sedan because my 03 GMC Sierra was killing me at the gas station!( It's up to $80.00 to fill that gas pig up in Sac., Ca.!) When I checked out the TSX, I knew that was the car for me! I just turned 50, and I never owned a car with all the bells and whistles included, as far as luxury goes! I checked this website out before I bought my TSX, to read what owners posted about the car. I could only afford a used TSX, so I wanted to make sure the car didn't have any major flaws that would hit me hard in the wallet! The car checked out, so I bought my 04 TSX 2 weeks ago.
This took a ton of hours on craigslist, but I found exactly what I wanted! A 2004 black/black TSX, w/navigation. It has 106K miles, and runs like a champ! It is lowered, with a Comptech Exhaust, and a Injen cold air intake. It has some cosmetic flaws that need some attention. The paint needs to be buffed out and polished. Going to buy a DA polisher and practice on my buddies old Camry before I try it on my TSX.
Love driving my new toy, and this website is the greatest for upgrading!

·
DJFuzze
86 Posts
It looks like a beauty! The slightly lower stance, and the slightly bigger exhaust make this look unique, but it doesn't stand out too much. Congrats! I just got my first TSX on Feb. 14th. Yay for NEWBS!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Congrats! I just got my '04 a few weeks ago as well. Don't know how experienced you are with detailing but if you have any detailing questions let me know. Claybar before you do the paint correction. Depending on the condition of the paint, you may get away with just using some compound/polish with some grit on a foam pad instead of going straight to the wool pad. What suspension is your car on?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome

Sharp car!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks JTrix215 for the detailing advise! Always loved to detail my cars but found out I was way off on how to do it the right way! I have spent about 10 hours on line checking every detail website and youtube video on how to correctly detail a car. I will for sure Claybar it first before I buff and polish the paint! The black paint has a ton of swirls and fine scratches from not being polished correctly! I will post some pics when I finish polishing!
Hey Tekneek, have you been to Redline Performance INC. out in Rancho Cordova? I replaced some interior parts that were worn out and there prices are unbeatable! It's off Sunrise, in junkyard heaven!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey JTrix215, I have no idea what kind of suspension my TSX has! Its not the smoothest ride so I would guess it has a lowering kit. I just got the car and have a ways to go on upgrading parts!

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Never been to redline nor do I go down to rancho that often. What general area in sac you in? I'm near EG

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Thats a nice area. You must have a good job. Make sure you try the burger joint called The Counter

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Nice pics dood. If you can wait a little on the detailing, I'm planning to do a proper detailing of my car this weekend and will provide pics of my steps.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya, send some pics! I'm not going to detail until I get my DA polisher. Haven't decided what brand polish I want to use. I read that Ardex Topaz 1 was good for black paint.
I am a union pipefitter, I install fire protection systems for Local 483 in the Bay Area. Been doing it for 22 years now! It pays good!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Ya, send some pics! I'm not going to detail until I get my DA polisher. Haven't decided what brand polish I want to use. I read that Ardex Topaz 1 was good for black paint.
I am a union pipefitter, I install fire protection systems for Local 483 in the Bay Area. Been doing it for 22 years now! It pays good!
I picked up my detailing knowledge from high school when I worked at numerous car dealerships. I use a dewalt polisher. You don't necessarily need one but it was what I was trained on and it just feels like it will last me 'till I die. As far as polish goes, I am a huge supporter of Ardex products. All of their stuff is great and smells delicious enough to eat (No, I'm not joking). For black/dark colored cars, a great product of theirs I like to use is Seal B. It doesn't last too long but if you wax after and always have a layer of wax on your car, it will look great. Not sure about the Topaz polish...do you mean wax? Is it yellow? Does it smell like a delicious fruit? That's a great wax as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats good to know! I love to detail my rides! My neighbors think I'm a fanatic! I've always hand polished my cars. Always thought I would screw up the paint job if I took a polisher to it! Looking forward to trying a polisher out and learning the art of detailing! Who knows, I might be good enough down the road to pick up some side work! I love to try to make a ride look brand new again!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I felt the same way when I was learning on my variable speed polisher. You basically start out with the speed on low so you can watch yourself and not burn through paint. Taking time to wipe off and examine your work. The best way to get good at it is find yourself an old hood at a junkyard that isn't dented but has some oxidized fine scratched paint. tape up little square sections, probably about the size of a piece of paper and use one square to just burn through the paint with a wool pad. This way you have an idea of how easy/hard it is to burn through paint (keep note that all manufacturers use different thickness paints and new modern cars have thinner paint then the cars of yester-years). After that, use different squares to practice getting the paint as good as you can. After my years of training/practice, that's what I do on the weekends. I do detailing as a side job.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well if you enjoy detailing as much as I do, you may be able to save yourself some money if you ask them to do the cut and polish or polish or whatever paint correction your car needs and then do everything yourself like th waxing, interior, etc. I'm not sure if that is possible but I just thought of that now if I were in your shoes. It's always a bonding experience when detailing your own car. Nothing gives you as much satisfaction as putting your own time into detailing your car (to the best of your abilities in your case) and then standing back and looking at the work you've done.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts